St Albans

in the county of Hertfordshire

Village sign

Thorpeness

in the county of Suffolk

Okehampton Castle in Devon

Okehampton

in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Hawthorn MBE

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 01:38 on 2nd November 2010

Vince:

What a great photo! How about some details about your father and why he was awarded an MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire)?

A proud day at the Palace.
Picture by Vince Hawthorn

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 04:53 on 2nd November 2010
I am glad you asked that Rob. I was also very curious!! 
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 19:31 on 2nd November 2010

Me too!

Enquiring minds want to know. 

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 23:00 on 2nd November 2010

Thank you everyone for your kind comments on my father's award. He worked for forty years with Neil & Spencer a firm that developed and made dry cleaning machines. He started in the service department going onto the overseas service departments and then becoming the overseas technical representative. Dad would regularly attend exhibitions (particularly the Brno Czechoslovakia exhibition each autumn) as well as many other worldwide duties. He always said where he had not been to as it was easier than stating where he had been. Although he even had visited Outer Mongolia for instance, he was never to visit Japan. The M.B.E. was an award for services to industry and export. As you can imagine as a youngster I did not see him for weeks on end. The day at the Palace was one to remember as you would expect. Pictured with him is his second wife and they retired to Cornwall, a place dear to him since his National Service days with the Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry. Dad I am afraid passed away back in 2001.

As some of you may know I am a dry cleaner (for 31 years now) but started out as a surveyor but my entry into cleaning was in no way influenced by Dad but through a completely different course of events, mind you it did give us a fair bit to yarn about. My obbsession of Cornwall also came from another source, my wife this time but again more to yarn over and a place to call each time we went over the Tamar.    Thank you all once again.

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 02:21 on 3rd November 2010

Very cool, Vince!

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 05:17 on 3rd November 2010
Thanks so much for sharing that with us Vince.  It must have been hard for a lad having his Dad away so much, never mind that his efforts brought him such recognition. 
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 10:59 on 3rd November 2010
Your father certainly earned his MBE, Vince. Thanks for providing the story behind the photo! And Cornwall is a lovely place!
 Please login to post to this thread...