Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Nell Of Old Drury

Westminster

in the county of Greater London

Grisedale Pike in the Lake District

Grisedale

in the county of North Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

English Counties - BUCKINGHAMSHIRE - A Whistle Stop Tour

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 Next >

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 12:23 on 19th October 2010

Here we go again!  This time we are going on a circular tour of the County of Buckinghamshire.  The last County we visited was Oxfordshire where we ended up at Henley on Thames. 

For lots of pictures of Buckinghamshire you can click on the link here:-

http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/Buckinghamshire

Following the Thames into Buckinghamshire we will visit MARLOW, which forms part of the commuter belt for people working in London.

What can we see in Marlow?  The 14th Century Deanery & Parsonage in St Peters Street, Marlow Place built around 1720 for King George II while still Prince of Wales, and the Marlow Suspension Bridge built in 1836 and surrounded by Georgian properties.

Pictures of Marlow:  A row of Georgian houses

Georgian row of houses.
Picture by adam swaine

Marlow, view from the Lock
Picture by Edward Lever

The suspension bridge
Marlow, Buckinghamshire.
Picture by Paul Davis

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 12:33 on 19th October 2010

We continue to travel eastwards beside the River Thames to TAPLOW where we can wander around the gardens of Cliveden which was built in the 1850s for the Dukes of Buckinghamshire.  The property overlooks the wooded banks of the Thames and is built like an Italian Renaissance Palace.  It is now a private luxury hotel, although 3 rooms remain open to the public view and the grounds which are cared for by the National Trust. Other properties include Taplow Court (a Victorian mansion) and Nashdon House which has been converted into apartments.

CLIVEDEN (House)

Cliveden House
Picture by tony messenger

A view over the gardens from the summer house
Summer house, Cliveden
Picture by colin lewis
A lovely Autumn view over the lake and chinese pagoda
Chinese Water Garden in grounds at Cliveden
Picture by Edward Lever

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 12:40 on 19th October 2010

We are now going to travel northwards through the County and our next stop is BEACONSFIELD which offers the visitor Chequers Coaching Inn built around the 17th Century, (couldn't find a pic!) the 15th Century Church tower, and 16th - 18th Century buildings along the Main Street.  Nearby is the Bekonscot Model Village - a must for the whole family and The Mayflower Barn (no pics!). In fact there are very few pics of Beaconsfield at all - so there's a photo opportunity for someone, lol

Beaconsfield

Wisteria
Picture by John Bowley

The church tower
Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire
Picture by Paul Hilton

Bekonscot Model Village
Bekonscot Model Village
Picture by John Bowley

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 12:45 on 19th October 2010

Onward now to HIGH WYCOMBE, the largest town in Buckinghamshire (and believe it or not I could not find any pictures of the town!!). Apparently it is the only town in the world where the Mayor is weighed at the beginning and end of his term of office to see if he has gained weight at the tax payers' expense.  (Maybe should try that on the parliamentarians!)  Near to High Wycombe is Hughenden Manor, once the home of Benjamin Disraeli and West Wycombe Park, an Italianate style house now under the care of the National Trust.

Hughenden Manor

Hughenden Manor, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire
Picture by James Barr

West Wycombe Park
West Wycombe Park - One the most theatrical and Italianate houses in England
Picture by John Dodd

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 12:46 on 19th October 2010
Here is a beautiful view of Buckinghamshire from Coombe Hill, not far from High Wycombe
From Coombe Hill, near Ellesborough, Bucks.
Picture by Tony Tooth

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 12:49 on 19th October 2010
The next village set in beautiful rolling countryside in the Tame Valley is BLEDLOW, which appeared in an episode of Midsommer Murders.  (Only 3 pics on POE folks!!)
Lions at Bledlow Pub
Picture by Radka Gianella

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 12:54 on 19th October 2010

PRINCES RISBOROUGH (what a fascinating name?) is an old market town where Amy Johnson (the aviator) once resided.  There is a 17th Century red brick Manor House owned by the National Trust, The Market House and a Norman Church. 

(I think there are large areas of Buckinghamshire which are either not being visited or not photographed, there are only 3 pics for Princes Risborough).  Maybe someone on POE could fill in the gaps for us??)

Princes Risborough

Picture by Nick Dutton

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 12:57 on 19th October 2010

The village of LONG CRENDON is best known for its 15th Century timber framed Courthouse, also now under the care of the National Trust.

Here is a picture from about 20 years ago

The Courthouse, Long Crendon, Bucks, in the 1990s.
Picture by David Short

And a more recent pic
Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire.
Picture by Paul Hilton

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 13:14 on 19th October 2010

Our next stop will be at AYLESBURY, the County Town of Buckinghamshire.  This town was well known for the rare breed of duck, which were walked to the markets in London in the l9th Century.  Now they may be seen at Oak Farm Rare Breeds Park or on the duck pond in Haddenham.  (Sorry no pics!)  The King's Head in Aylesbury is one of the oldest coaching inns in the country.  Other attractions in Aylesbury include the County Museum, Chiltern Brewery and the County Hall built in 1720 on St Marys Square.

Aylesbury

Aylesbury 2010
Picture by KC ME

The King's Head
King`s Head Passage
Picture by Giulio Pizzi

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 13:35 on 19th October 2010

It is an easy step to visit Waddesdon Manor, a "French Chateau" built for Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild, overlooking the Vale of Aylesbury

WADDESDON MANOR

Waddesdon Manor
Picture by chris humphries

Waddesdon Manor, Waddesdon, Bucks
Picture by Tony Tooth

1 2 3 4 Next >