Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Boats on beach

Selsey

a Seaside Town in the county of West Sussex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Christmas!!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 21:00 on 20th October 2010
On 20th October 2010 13:28, Debbie Barnes wrote:
On 20th October 2010 10:25, lancashirelove wrote:

I'm all for progress but there are times when we need to put the brakes on for a while. Who cares if in the future you might be able to get to London from Manchester in 2 hours instead of three, who cares if our supermarket bananas have to be striaght instead of curved, who cares if I spell 'striaght' wrongly. Go back into our history books and you'll note the spellings of names and words differ completely. Who cares if I add the milk to the teacup before adding the tea? The only thing that matters is that we care for each other, once we stop doing that we are nobody.

I love Christmas because of the Childhood memories it has left in me, Playing in the frozen snow (with a pair of old socks on my hands cuase we couldnt always afford a pair of gloves). Sitting by the warm open fire. Helping mum and brothers and sisters dress the Christmas tree. Making decorations out of coloured paper. collecting Holly and Mistletoe from the hedgerow. Whatching 'dad' clean and pluck the chicken.The smell of the mum's home baking. Opening our presents on Christmas morning. The sound of Christmas Carols. The friendliness and greetings of everyone you meet.Counting the Christmas cards from friends and neighbours. The Nativity scenes. Opening our chocolate bar selection box, tin of sweets or sugar pig.Having a slice of grandmas rich fruit and rum flavoured Christmas cake, complete with sugar icing and almand paste (Marzipan) Listening to Grandad playing the piano. The Queens speech on the radio.

I have never been a wealthy man but with memories such as these, I am 'rich' beyond belief !

That was Christmas!!!!! 

Hi,

Your message was very moving.You sum up everything that makes Christmas such a special time for all.

It's not about the expensive presents or fancy decorations,that really carry little meaning,it's the memories of past christmas's when money was scarce and the real meaning of December shone through.

What makes christmas for me is mum baking Mince pies in our freezing cold kitchen with cold hands,it's how me and my brother would warm our toes around our open fire while sipping hot chocolate and hoping we had been good enough to get he 'things' on our christmas list,it was watching mum run upstairs with a warm iron to iron our sheets as our house was so cold.( this was done so we had warm beds to get into)....and hanging paper decorations on the Christmas tree that we had glued and coloured in...

Priceless....

bbie..

I second these emotions!  These are the best bits of Christmas indeed.

Rob, actually I'll be attending Handel's "Messiah" at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC not NYC, but I'm sure it will still be every bit as wonderful.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 04:04 on 21st October 2010
On 20th October 2010 21:00, Barbara Shoemaker wrote:

Rob, actually I'll be attending Handel's "Messiah" at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC not NYC, but I'm sure it will still be every bit as wonderful.

Sorry, Barbara--somehow I mixed up the Kennedy Center with Lincoln Center--my bad (too tired, I guess)! Do have fun, though!
Jamaica Braden
Jamaica Braden
quotePosted at 17:26 on 14th October 2011
With this thread I'm getting more excited! Can't wait for Christmas to get up with a lot of dazzling ornaments and angels at the top. Christmas is coming!

Edited by: Ron Brind at:14th October 2011 21:01
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:31 on 14th October 2011

Hi Jamaica and welcome to POE.  Please introduce yourself on the Introduction thread so we can all get to know you and welcome you to our Site!

I am sure you will love all the photos, information and chat threads here! 

Jamaica Braden
Jamaica Braden
quotePosted at 17:36 on 14th October 2011
sure. thanks for the sweet welcome! :) i appreciate it a lot.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 21:02 on 14th October 2011

talking about christmas what's everybody doing??

this year will be our first at home for 5 yrs we always go to the daughters and stay for 4-5 days but fancy a change this year.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:08 on 14th October 2011
Try to avoid it if at all possible.....Wife will probably be working a lot of it. So i'll have a nice quite time just waiting for it to pass by. Not a great christmas fan i'm afraid, can quite happily do without it
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 21:19 on 14th October 2011
I think we will have a quiet time - it looks as though one half of the family are likely to be England (or Europe) and the other half in Namibia!!
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 21:21 on 14th October 2011
we will be on our own --will go down the sons early on then home for 12pm  as dave says it cant pass quick enough.--humbugLaughing
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:39 on 14th October 2011
Something very quick from the freezer for dinner if the wife is working. Can't be doing with all the fuss for a huge dinner you don't really want to eat. call me Scrooge if you want but I would not be worried if Christmas didn't happen.....with James on this...HUMBUG!!!