Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Hunstanton Cliffs at sunset

Hunstanton

a Seaside Town in the county of Norfolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

ENGLISH COUNTIES-(WILTSHIRE)- A WHISTLE STOP TOUR

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:22 on 1st September 2010

THIS IS PICTURES OF ENGLAND

WHAT IS PICTURES OF ENGLAND?

To all of us it is a great website of many facets one of which is as a repository of pictures of this green and pleasant land that are all photographs that we have taken. If we are to zap round Wiltshire then there is no question but to start here in Lacock.

Lacock Abbey
Picture by Bill Swan

It was here during the 1830's William Henry fox Talbot developed(scuse the pun) the photographic process from which photography has grown into in this digital age. Having paid our homage we can pop into Lacock village, here is a time warp with nothing modern allowed by the National Trust who own the unique preserved place. Underneath life carries on for the village folk apart from all the visitors and the occational film crews. Life in the Carpenter's Arms was very lively in the 1970's when I stayed there for a few months.
Lacock
Picture by Paul Lakin

The reason I was there was an underground survey of the old Bathstone mines and quarries, these went for miles out towards Corsham and a great deal of building material to build Bath was extracted here. We sometimes did not see daylight for a few days at a time. These mines went on to be an area where aeroplane parts were made during WW2 and after that a storage area for the MOD. All is abandoned now.Corsham is home to a mighty fine place to see- Corsham Court.
Corsham Court
Picture by Bill Swan

Not far from Corsham is Box and the famous Box tunnel built to allow Brunell's Great Western Railway run from London to Bristol. Inside the tunnel there is a junction to allow rail access into the mines we have been talking about with an underground sidings and I think station as well.

I am afraid our next place of interest has no photos yet (mine are old film prints and not readily available) , Great Chalfield Manor a NT manor house built during 1465-1480 for Thomas Tropnall.

Our journey now goes through Bradford on Avon , an atractive old town built round an old arched bridge which has an old chapel built on it.

The Bridge Tea Rooms, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire
Picture by Dogmadic

Now we pass through Trowbridge, a town of old and new built up originally on the wool and weaving industry of times past.

Trowbridge Town Hall
Picture by Penny Williamson

Next we will linger in Warminster for  a couple of visits. Warminster grew up in the17th & 18th around the wool and the corn trades

Warminster Town Centre
Picture by D.J Fryer

Just outside the town is Cley Hill an old iron age fort but I know it more for its reputation as the site of most UFO sightings, a group of us many years ago did try a night on top of Cley Hill, but nothing was seen. That was probably just as well as thing were spooky enough as it was without any visitations of an extraterrestrial kind.

Cley Hill Iron Age Hillfort, Warminster, Wiltshire
Picture by D.J Fryer

Another stop nearby is the famous Longleat House, with it's grand house, many animal's and general theme park style attractions.

Longleat House
Picture by Adele Neale

Longleat
Picture by Mark Green

Moving on we will pass Stourhead Gardens, landscaped gardens on a grand scale most beautiful with classic temples,lakes and elegant bridges.

The lake, Stourhead, Wiltshire
Picture by John Ware

We will now make our way to Tisbury, a picture postcard village with a 12th century church and a 200 foot tithe barn. Nearby can be found Old Wardour Castle.

Old Wardour Castle
Picture by Clare Thorpe

Our journey will continue after a small stop for refreshments(Take a break-tirednesskills the signs on the roadside say).

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 21:31 on 1st September 2010
I know how much you need a break right now, lol.  Thanks Vince for rising so nobly to the occasion.  Its much more fun to look when you haven't done all the work.  Looking forward to the rest of the tour, very much.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:32 on 1st September 2010
Well done Vince, interesting information about area's that are not that far away from us, yet we haven't been there! Well done and thank you.
TedPremier Member - Click for more info
Ted
quotePosted at 21:40 on 1st September 2010
My "To Do" list is growing longer by each tour.
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 22:16 on 1st September 2010

And as we travel the Wiltshire byways, if we don't see any UFO's, we might get to see a crop circle instead-----and then off to see Wiltshire's answer to Atlantis !

Crop circle, Wiltshire
Picture by Paul Hilton

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:18 on 1st September 2010
nice pic that one paul           lets face it they are all good.
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 22:22 on 1st September 2010

And as we near Calne, we stop off at Bowood House to see the village of Manning Hill; well, we could have seen it if it hadn't been flooded to form a lake in the gardens of Bowood House, thus the villagers of Manning Hill were moved out so the owner could have a nice view from his gardens.

Bowood House Lake
Picture by Paul Hilton

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 22:26 on 1st September 2010
Paul are you willing to the Berkshire or Buckinghamshire (or both) Whistle stop tours?
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 22:39 on 1st September 2010

Ok Cathy---we'll head off east from Wiltshire soon too to see what Berkshire has to offer, but there's spooky things in Wiltshire to see as we head to Devizes in search of ghosts. After wandering the town's sights and lanes, we'll be at the Black Swan hotel for the night; room 4 could be interesting, plus perhaps down the the celler might have a few unexpected guests?   Surprised

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 22:43 on 1st September 2010
Paul we will need separate whistle stop tours Please - not in Vince's Wiltshire one,