Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The local

Fletching

in the county of East Sussex

Denstone village store

Denstone

in the county of Staffordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

English Counties - SURREY - A Whistle Stop Tour

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 00:13 on 30th August 2010

Time to head south where we'll pass by the airfield used for the TV show, Top Gear, but we're on our way to Cranleigh to see St Nicholas church.  In the 1890s, the curate there was George Henry Cole Bartley whose father, Sir George B. was a Conservative MP and was responsible for the large museums in South Kensington being built; His grandad was Sir Henry Cole who built the Victoria and Albert Museum and the Royal Albert Hall.

Cranleigh, Surrey
Picture by Frances Brown

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:30th August 2010 00:17
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 00:41 on 30th August 2010

And as we reach the outer Surrey suburbs of London, we come to Carshalton where Sir Walter Raleigh lived not far away where he grew England's first orange trees. And when he married Bess Throckmorton from near-by Beddington who was Maid of Honour to Queen Elizabeth 1st, the Queen was so jealous, she had them both thrown in the Tower of London.

Carshalton, Greater London
Picture by pam quinton

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 06:11 on 30th August 2010

Wow Paul, we lived very close to Carshalton for many years but I never knew about Sir Walter Raleigh's connection there.  "You live and learn"! 

Vince and Paul you have added some super pics, interesting information and inviting suggestions for places to visit to add to an all round Surrey experience.  Thank you both very much.  (Please feel free to add lots moreSmile)! And anyone else who can add history, information, suggestions too!

Please login to post to this thread...
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5