Marazion

a Seaside Town in the county of Cornwall

Largs Town, North Ayrshire, Scotland.

Largs

in the county of North Ayrshire

Flatford

Flatford

in the county of Suffolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

English Counties - HAMPSHIRE - A Whistle Stop Tour

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 07:24 on 20th August 2010
The Old City Walls
Part Of The Old Walls
Picture by Daphne Grant

Old City Walls Southampton, Hampshire
Picture by Adam Archer

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 07:30 on 20th August 2010

That was a sightseers marathon wasn't it, beautiful old forests, picturesque villages, wonderful scenery, ports and seaside places, ancient buildings, museums and stunning gardens, what more could anyone ask for?

But now it is time to rest I found a lovely thatched hotel called the Pilgrim Inn or if you now need some pampering there is the very modern looking De Vere Grand Harbour Hotel which also offers a SPA!  

Southampton at Sunset
Picture by Sue Oates

We have many wonderful places still to visit in HAMPSHIRE so please join me again tomorrow for another day on the Whistle Stop Door.  Have a wonderful daySmile

TedPremier Member - Click for more info
Ted
quotePosted at 08:58 on 20th August 2010

Good morning Cathy. Did you sleep last night? You are traveling with a speed that even a Japanees can't cope.

Hamshire is a part of England I've seen only through the windscreen of my carand a short stay in Twyford. Co this is a good oppertunity to discover this part of England.

Edited by: Ted at:20th August 2010 09:57
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 09:22 on 20th August 2010

Hi Ted, managed a little sleep (lol), the joys of being a virtual touristLaughing

Looking at the number of places in Hampshire without pics or descriptions I guess most people have only seen it through the windscreen as they dash through to the West Country or the Isle of Wight! 

It might be well worth making a visit to Hampshire part of your journey and to stop and look, instead of it just being somewhere you pass through. 

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:40 on 20th August 2010
OK , Hampshire rumblings time, I will start in the New Forest at Burley. This is a pretty little village with a fair bit to see and one of the main themes in the village is witchcraft with a number of shops dedicated to the theme. The Covern Of Witches is one of the main ones.
The Covern of Witches, Burley in the New Forest, Hampshire
Picture by Jack Bauer

As you look round the village ponies and donkeys wander with you (if they feel like it) .
Caught napping
Picture by Vince Hawthorn

Take off accross the various by-ways of the New Forest in whatever direction you will but drive carefully as the locals old and new share the road with you.
Everyone say...awh

If you choose to stop and admire one of the many places of beauty, watch out for the curious!!!
My turn to drive !!!

We will nip past Southampton as I am not keen on big cities but I am sure some of you would want to go and find the shops or the maritime history or even catch the ferry to the Isle of Wight. I have used Red Funnel to go over to IOW and recommend the ferry from here. First I chose them over Wightlink as they seemed more proactive in catering for disabled and loading was so slick that we ended up parked on the ferry right next to the lifts to salon deck. Also being a slightly further journey there was more time to take in all that there was to see as we travelled the Solent and Southampton Water.

Just a slight detour as we go west to east is Whitely village, this is very new and is mostly a massive housing estate but also has an outlet shopping area so plenty bargains to be had. There is also an office area with landscaped lkes and ponds with its own wildlife, (flying and landing lessons needed)

Whoops, another dodgy landing

Portsmouth, suppose we will have to brave the big city if we want to see the Spinnaker Tower.
Very Uplifting

The views from the top are stupendous but if vrtigo strikes do not look through the glass floor
The world at my feet

If you brave a trip to the 3rd level it is open to the elements and is quite exilarating, those thinking of jumping be warned it is constructed so that is not possible.

On the outskirts of Portsmouth one could find Portchester Castle, this is a norman castle built on the remains of a previous Roman fortification. This a very interesting port of call with a lot to see.

A view to keep from the Keep

That was from the top of the keep and this shot is looking back at the castle from the church(St. Mary's)
The Keep From St. Mary,s

And another shot of the church
St.Mary's

If we head North we have a stop for all you readers out there,Chawton is where Jane Austen lived and wrote her most famous novels. If you visit, do enjoy a wander around the house and a purchase or to from the gift shop inside but most of all go on a bright dry and warm day and take a picnic to enjoy in the garden. It has a charm all of it's own and and to eat your packed lunch in Jane Austen's garden is like trip back in time to an olde England.
Chawton,  Hampshire - Jane Austen House & High Street
Picture by David Thomas

One last stop in Hampshire is a very important one- the home of the British Army -Aldershot.
The Garrison Church, Aldershot
Picture by Christine Horner

If any of you are interested in miliary history there are museums to visit as well as the military cemetary. Over the course of a year in the early seventies I was involved in a survey of Aldershot Military that was a very large job covering the whole of the army land. Of course much has changed since that time (and not just the gegraphy of the area) and one lingering memory was that whilst we were working on that job the first IRA bomb on mainland Britain was exploded at a Officers Mess. A lot of those killed were not military but local civillians working there.

If my memory serves me correctly the picture on my avatar was taken when working on land about Aldershot.

On that sombre note I will leave Hampshire for the time being.

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 22:26 on 20th August 2010

But we won't Vince, lol.  We have another day in Hampshire yet.  Thank you so much for your pics and more especially for your dialogue, it makes it so much more interesting.

In view of the fact that I am not sure what I will be doing here (in real time) tomorrow morning (probably helping son to unpack at his new home) I am putting tomorrow's itinerary for the continuation of the tour in Hampshire (virtual time) on here tonight.

DAY 2 HAMPSHIRE WISTLE STOP TOUR. 

Starting at Winchester (I actually think that Winchester would need a day on its own there is so much to see and do).  We've all heard of Winchester Cathedral, this looks like a must see.  Winchester College, City Museum in a 13C hall, Westgate Museum, City Mill built 1744 now National Trust, Wolversley Castle, The Hospital of St Cross built about 1130, Winchester Military Museum, Marwell Zoological Park, Farley Mount Country Park & Hillier Gardens & Arboretum close by at Ampfield. The River Ichen runs through the city.

WINCHESTER

God Begot House
Picture by Jens Eichstaedt

River Itchen at Winchester
Picture by John Ware

View from Abbey Gardens towards King Alfred`s statue
Picture by Jens Eichstaedt

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 22:28 on 20th August 2010
WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL