Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

English Counties - HAMPSHIRE - A Whistle Stop Tour

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 23:06 on 21st August 2010
Osborne House Grounds, Isle of Wight
Picture by Jo Adams

Save your legs, go on the cart.
Picture by Peter Evans

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 23:09 on 21st August 2010
From Osborne House we pass through the village of Whippingham on our way back to Ryde to catch the Hovercraft/Ferry back to Southsea in Hampshire
St Mildred's Church, Whippingham, Isle of Wight
Picture by Michael Coxe

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 23:12 on 21st August 2010
So now we are back in Hampshire, having had a fantastic two days in the Isle of Wight, and have landed at Southsea from where we will take the route around Langstone Harbour, passing through Havant
Old House At Home, South Street
Picture by Geoff Mullins

and staying overnight in Emsworth before going on to our next County
Emsworth water front
Picture by Jan Minter

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 23:16 on 21st August 2010

As you will see I have done the complete 2 day whistle stop tour in one go so that it is now very easy for any other pictures, experiences, recommendation etc., to be added here, without breaking up the tour.

Please add any information you may have (words or pics) of places I have missed or attractions I don't know about or have skipped because I didn't know enough about it.

This thread will now remain open and I will open a new "English County - ? - A whistle stop tour" on Monday night.

I hope you have all enjoyed the 2 day tour of HAMPSHIRE + 2 day tour of the ISLE OF WIGHT.

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 09:43 on 22nd August 2010

And as we passed through Kingsclere, we walked in the steps of kings from Alfred to John; the village being on their routes to hunting lodges and between London and Winchester.  The older buildings we see here once likely housed the visiting Canons of Rouen.  They came under the ownership of William Warham who gave the buildings to Winchester College.  Warham had become Arch Bishop of Canterbury who had crowned King Henry VIII and also presided over the king's marriage to Catherine of Aragon. William Warham had been born in Hampshire; a local lad here, and educated at Oxford.

Kingsclere, Hampshire
Picture by Paul Hilton

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:22nd August 2010 09:48
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 16:58 on 22nd August 2010
Hello All, Just a few extras for Isle of Wight, Our visit had to include the IOW Zoo at Sandown. There are many big cats here and quite a draw are the white tigers but for photography one is always shooting through fences. With Diamond the enclosure has a very convenient glass observation section and it makes for clear photos.
Diamond
Picture by Vince Hawthorn

Diamond on the prowl.

A quick jump here for all you ladies out there who like to use skin treatment, Liz Earle famous for her naturally active products has her shop Union in Ryde's Union street, gentlemen stand by for qiute a wait and probably a dent on the plastic!!!
Historic Ryde, Isle of Wight
Picture by David Thomas

Opposite the bottom of Union Street is Ryde Pier built to receive the fast cat these days but originally the ferry, the pier has the unusual site of a rail station at each end with old London underground trains providing the transport (the low headroom of these trains were needed for the section of low tunnel height).The train travels from Ryde to Shanklin.
Isle of Wight Electric Railway
Picture by John Ware

One last view of IOW at the far West is The Needles Park and a view of a trip on the chair lift how it should look and not how I saw it!
Chairlift at Alum Bay, Isle of Wight.
Picture by Karen Palmer

The Needles ( I think )

CHECK THE WEATHER.  I was only on IOW for a couple of days and in that time it was evident the weather can be so different according to what side of the island you are on. Whatever the weather, enjoy your visit!!

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:17 on 22nd August 2010

That's wonderful information Vince, thank you so much for adding it.

Remember everyone this tour covers HAMPSHIRE and the ISLE OF WIGHT so any pics or information on either place can be added to this tour.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:27 on 22nd August 2010
Thanks to Paul and Vince.....interesting stuff thats for sure.
Marjorie Pope
Marjorie Pope
quotePosted at 20:02 on 22nd August 2010
I've always wanted to visit the Isle of Wight, and now thanks to all the lovely pictures I almost feel as if I have.  Thanks to everyone, and particularly Cathy, who is putting in such a lot of excellent work.
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:08 on 22nd August 2010
And now you can see what you have been missing Marjorie!  Are you booking your trip soon?  lol