Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

St Mary & St Margarets

Combrook

in the county of Warwickshire

Salcombe from East Portlemouth

Salcombe

a Seaside Town in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

English Counties - Whistle Stop Tour

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

TedPremier Member - Click for more info
Ted
quotePosted at 10:28 on 14th August 2010

Don't forget to visit the Victoria Gardens. They were designed and created to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria created in 1898. The garden is filled with exotic trees, shrubs and flowers. There is also a bandstand and during the summer, concerts are held on Sunday afternoons. You would not think you were in the middle of a city, the calm broken only occasionally by a train passing over the majestic granite viaduct nearby. The original viaduct was built by Isambard Kingdom Brunel in 1859, but was replaced with the present structure in 1904, and now carries the main line from Paddington to Penzance.

Victoria Gardens, Truro
Picture by Ted van Onzen

Victoria Gardens - A lovely little prayer
Picture by Ted van Onzen

Victoria Gardens, Truro
Picture by Ted van Onzen

Naked tree near the Victaria Gardens
Picture by Ted van Onzen

Truro train viaduct
Picture by Ted van Onzen

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
TedPremier Member - Click for more info
Ted
quotePosted at 10:30 on 14th August 2010
Time for a breakCoffee break
Picture by Ted van Onzen

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:33 on 14th August 2010

Looks like you had a good morning in Truro, Ted.  What did you do this afternoon and do you have any plans for this evening?  lol. 

We have another full day in CORNWALL tomorrow, so join in the fun and add your pics, favourite places, where to go, what to see, etc., etc., etc.,Smile

Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 17:36 on 14th August 2010
This tour is absolutely amazing, Cath you would make a good tour guide, and good wishes for your forthcoming anniversary Ted, great pictures
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:41 on 14th August 2010
Thanks Peggy, never thought about being a Tour Guide, I think it could be great fun - until something went wrong, lol.  Have you not been to Cornwall Peggy?
Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 17:51 on 14th August 2010
Yes I have been to Cornwall but never been to The Isles of Scilly, I spent so long in looking at the pics that I missed the tour bus  and had to catch up by hitch hiking LOL
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:56 on 14th August 2010

So we have this evening and the whole of tomorrow in Cornwall, where have you been, what did you enjoy, where would you go again, got any stories to tell?  Add them here to the holiday journal Peggy.  Add any photos you might have to the holiday photo album, lol.  Really would like you to participate as Ted has done. 

And anyone else out there in POEland that has been to Cornwall and has something they can share with the rest of us, we'd love to hear from you.

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:59 on 14th August 2010
KERNOW BYS VYKEN PUP DEN OLL!!! (CORNWALL FOREVER EVERYONE)
This is not England
Picture by Vince Hawthorn

Passports to the ready, this is Kernow and the real Cornish maintain "This isn't England,that's up the other way" to quote the words of the song by Jim Wearne. Please read info with this photo. There is still a stannery parliament in existance, it was originally the governing body of the tin mining industry. This is the origin of the Stannery towns where tin was assayed and tax levied. These towns were Liskeard,Lostwithiel,Helston,Truro and Penzance.
Back Street, Polperro

Seen better days

Next we have a rather wet backstreet in Polperro and then a forlorn look at Mevagissey, two fishing ports very popular with visitors, but as the saying goes "Mining's scat, fishing's scat and farming's scat so it's back to wrecking me 'ansomes!!!" ( scat= done finished or broken)
Portscatho vista

Here we are at Portscatho a more scenic place to spend some time, this is part of the Roseland Peninsula a very beautiful area and be sure whilst in this part to visit the church at St. Just in Roseland so pretty set by a creek.
Truro View.

As we go on we can catch a glimpse of Truro.
The Water Tower blossoms within Trelissick Gardens

For a place to stay try National Trust cottages, they are of a very high standard and the Water Tower at Trelissick Gardens is one such cottage. We stayed in a cottage within the same private garden within Trelissick Gardens and the Water Tower was our outlook, it was so good we are returning next year.
Spotlight on Phoenix United

My final visit is to Minnions high up on Bodmin Moor,It has the highest pub in Kernow! Minnions has scenery, ancient standing stone circles, the chessewring(I will leave you to discover this) and of course a great deal of mining heritage. This area forms part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site of mining in Cornwall and west Devon. The other reason I hold Minnions as so special is this is where I witnessed the total eclipse of the sun August 11th 1999. A short drive from here is Jamaica Inn where Daphne du Maurier set her book of the same name. This is another place to stay but beware!!! We stayed here for a few nights for a special occasion, it was very good but there are a number of ghosts here and "Most Haunted" have done their thing at Jamaica Inn.

This has been a very short tour, other things to see are Flambards Helston, Levant and Geevor Mines near St. Just in Penwith, Royal Cornwall Museum Truro, National Maritime Museum Falmouth, St Nectan's Glen near tintagel and many many more sites and there are scenic places wherever you go. I have only been able to mention a few special spots, go for yourselves and see what I mean,

Chons da ha Oll an gwella.(good luck and all the best)

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 22:07 on 14th August 2010

Wow, Vince that was lovely, I want to see it all!!  But not sure about "Most Haunted"!

Do you know if the accommodation you mentioned is on POE accommodation listing?

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:22 on 14th August 2010
 Cathy,I can see Jamaica Inn on POE accomodation listing but the cottage in Trelissick is one of The National Trust cottages that are all over the UK but I don't think POE has National Trust places listed,food for thought. They are of a very high standard and by their very own nature always in stunning positions. Vince.