Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Kielder Water fron Elk Pincic Site

Kielder

in the county of Northumberland

Gordale Scar. Malham Cove, North Yorkshire

Malham

in the county of North Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

English Counties - Whistle Stop Tour

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 17:55 on 12th August 2010
Cheers Ted!!! lol!!
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:55 on 12th August 2010
Here is a picture of the ancient old town church on St Mary's Island
A gentle resting place.
Picture by Nigel Kyte

And one of the Tresco Abbey Gardens
Tresco Abbey Gardens
Picture by Nigel Kyte

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:46 on 12th August 2010

Dydh Da Onan Hag Oll (Hello one and all),Here is the entry point to the Isles Of Scilly if you arrive by sea on the Scillonian 3, there is also light aeroplane or helicopter links. Regarding the Scillonian 3 its future is under review as a new docking area is being debated in Penzance. Some do not want Battery Rocks touched where the new berth is planned, some suggest a larger terminal built at Longrock where the Gry Maritha (the ship that takes freight to and from Scilly) berths,but if a decision is not soon made European funding could be withdrawn and all sealinks to Scilly moved to Falmouth. A disaster for Penzance and with the helicopter link now threatened with being moved to Lands End connection to the Isles Of Scilly would be far more difficult. Whatever, Scilly is a special place to see, I have only seen Scily on a day visit so I only scatched a very a very small bit of the surface. The BBC has run for the past few years a series covering part of each as a fly on the wall programme following a number of local folk and also local ministers seeing as it was called"An Island Parish". A really laid back bit of TV reflecting the way of life on the Isles of Scilly.

Picture by Melvyn Roberts

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 21:52 on 12th August 2010

Hi Vince, welcome to the tour, hope you will continue the journey through the counties with us.

Thanks for the information, I wish I had seen the programmes, I wonder if they are in an internet archive somewhere?

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:10 on 12th August 2010
I shall do where I can, what a novel idea and another magic way to delve into the POE library.I think Island Parish was on iplayer for a while but not sure if it still is there. Looking forward to see where we go from here, oll an gwella.
TedPremier Member - Click for more info
Ted
quotePosted at 22:35 on 12th August 2010

Sunset over Isles of Scilly. It was an interesting day but now time to rest. Curious what tomorrow will bring

Good night every body

Scilly Isles

Picture by chris williams

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 08:04 on 13th August 2010
A view toward St Marys from St Martins, Isles of Scilly
Picture by Sally Ann Dyer

Good morning everyone, I trust you have all had a good night's sleep, a hearty breakfast and are ready for another day exploring the hidden pleasures of the Isles of Scilly.  It's a free day so you can ramble through the flower fields, laze on the gorgeous beaches, visit the shipwreck museum, have lunch in the most south-westerly pub in England, take a trip to see the seals or sail in a yacht.  I doubt you will have time to be bored.

Watching the world go by.
Picture by Nigel Kyte

St Martin's - Scilly Isles
Picture by Mike Speight

St Martins - Scilly Isles
Picture by Mike Speight

We'll all meet up again at 7 p.m. (UK time lol) to move on to our next location. Have a wonderful day!!Laughing

Ted
quotePosted at 09:30 on 13th August 2010

Weather for Isles of Scilly on august Friday 13

15°C | 59°F
Current: Mostly Cloudy
Wind: NW at 21 km/h
Humidity: 77%

Nice weather to visit some churches

All Saints Church on Bryher.
Picture by Nigel Kyte

Stained Glass Window.
Picture by Nigel Kyte

Ted
quotePosted at 09:51 on 13th August 2010
On 13th August 2010 08:04, cathyml wrote:

We'll all meet up again at 7 p.m. (UK time lol) to move on to our next location. Have a wonderful day!!Laughing

Do we travel by boat or by chopper?

Chopper returning from Isles of Scilly
Picture by Ted van Onzen

Chopper to Isles of Scilly
Picture by Ted van Onzen

Chopper over St. Michael's Mount
Picture by Ted van Onzen

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 10:14 on 13th August 2010

Hey Ted, this is a virtual tour, we can't have clouds and wind (lol) the sun must shine.

Thanks for pics of the helicopter (stealing my thunder are you! another one for English Sayings lol).  You will have to wait and see, I personally will opt for the chopper because I am not a good sailor!!! A chopper can take us to Land's End or Penzance, the ferry only to Penzance!!Smile

It would seem that very few members of POE have visited the Isles of Scilly because there are very few contributions to advise where to go, see, do, eat, etc. etc.  So it seems to be time POE people had a think about visiting the Islands for their next holiday!! Hope we have wetted your appetite!!Laughing