Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Lancing sunrise

Lancing

in the county of West Sussex

Across the Fleet Lagoon

Langton Herring

in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

English Counties - Whistle Stop Tour

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Marjorie Pope
Marjorie Pope
quotePosted at 19:31 on 21st August 2010

Britannia Royal Naval College, Dartmouth.
Picture by Marjorie Pope

Just popping back to Dartmouth for a day trip. LOL

Britannia Royal Naval College, an imposing building overlooking Dartmouth, has been training Royal Naval officers on this site since 1905.  Since 1998 it has been the sole centre for Royal Naval officer training in the UK.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Marjorie Pope
Marjorie Pope
quotePosted at 19:46 on 22nd August 2010
Ugbrooke House has been home to the Lords Clifford of Chudleigh for the past 400 years and is the present Lord Clifford's private residence (open to the public during July and August).  The house was remodelled by Robert Adam at the same time as the Park was landscaped by Capability Brown. A visit to Ugbrooke is a lovely experience.
A walk in the grounds
Picture by Marjorie Pope

By the Lake
Picture by Marjorie Pope

Rainy day at Ugbrooke House
Picture by Marjorie Pope

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:06 on 22nd August 2010
Marjorie that is splendid, thanks so much.  What a lovely estate!
Christine Cooney
Christine Cooney
quotePosted at 11:36 on 24th August 2010
Hi just got back from wonderful Cornwall, where we actually got a lot of sunshine!! We went all over this beautiful county and wanted to share the little harbour of Mevagissey with you, this was the view from a little cafe on the front, where we sat having a cool drink and takeing in the atmosphere of this truely magical place.
At the harbour
Picture by Christine Cooney

Hope you like it!!!
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 11:43 on 24th August 2010

Thank you so much Christine for sharing Mevagissey with us.  Ignore the remark on the Dorset whistle stop tour where I asked if you had photos you could add to this thread, lol.  You beat me to it!!  Any more would be very welcome. 

I can now look at this pic and image it's me sitting at the cafe gazing at this scene!

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 23:06 on 24th August 2010
Useless Information Time!!    Every time you good folk look at your maps of Britain to see where to go for the next photo session and it is an Ordnance Survey map, all the height points and contours wherever you look (from Lands End to John O'Groats) they are all based on the mean sea level here in Newlyn.At the end of the harbour pier hidden and secure is the O.S. datum level from which all other levels are taken. The only thing is if we are to believe all this global warming warnings how much longer will this datum level be valid?
Newlyn in Cornwall
Picture by Tony Winfield

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:16 on 26th August 2010
Hey Everyone we have gone through so fast we didn't even stop for a ProperPasty.
PastyPlate
Picture by Vince Hawthorn

What is a proper pasty? Well it has to be made in Cornwall and with ingredients that come from Cornwall. Forget all these strange concoctions you can find in bakers these days, stick to how it has always been done- diced chuck steak, potato,suede(or turnip), onion, salt and pepper.If you want to be really traditional a portion of fruit at the far end. The pastry can be according to taste shortcrust or flakey. The crimp must be around the side making a "D" shape, it should never be crimped along the top. The crimp is very important!!! It is also called a handle and it  was used by the cornish miner to hold his pasty whilst eating his pasty at croust time. Very important as well our miner would not eat all of his pasty but would throw what was left of the handle into the darkness of a shaft or a tunnell. Why? I hear you ask. Two possible answers, firstly he could be throwing a bit of pasty to the knockers(these are spirits of the mine who would make a knocking sound to warn of impending danger if they have been treated well with morsells of pasty, otherwise if not treated well they would cause great mischieve in the mine).The second reason our miner will be throwing away a bit of his pasty is more down to earth(well under it anyway), there isn't hot and cold running water and other conveniences underground and a by product of tin and copper mining is arsenic, so a contaminated end of pasty is discarded.
Picture by Jennifer Briggs

That should keep our miner going until the end of the shift and for his climb up all the ladders to "grass"(the surface).
Fly the flag, eat a pasty!
Picture by Vince Hawthorn

The montage above shows our pasty on the flag of St. Piran and an example of Cornish tartan. The flag is now the natioal flag of Kernow and the black represents the tin ore with the white representing the molten tin flowing over ore.St.Piran is the patron saint of both cornwall and the miners,March 5th is St.Piran's day and is becoming close to a national day with quite a lot of bodies and buisinesses treating it like a bank holiday. The tartan is "National Tartan" and the most common athough there are many more variations of Cornish tartans.

Nothing else to say now other than ENJOY!!!  Chons Da

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:05 on 27th August 2010

There is also another place worth a visit IF YOU DARE!!!

Bodmin Jail, is a place with a long and grusome history, as well as being a prison and a very horrible one at that the jail was also a place of execution.

Jail
Picture by Barbara Whiteman

Jail

Jail

One last story about Bodmin Jail (or Gaol as it is also spelt) is the role that it played in World War 1. Apparently the Crown Jewels and the Doomsday Book were brought to Bodmin Jail for safe keeping during the conflict.

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 10:08 on 30th March 2011

These Whitle Stop Tours can be added to ad infinitum. 

If you come across a really interesting activity or place to visit or just to tell us about your trip, please feel free to add it to the relevant English Counties - Whistle Stop Tours.

Here is a picture of the Scillonion that Dorothy added today.  It is the ferry which sails between Penzance and the Isles of Scilly

P.S.  This Whistle Stop Tour covers

Isles of Scilly (pages 1 - 3) on this thread

All information, maps and pictures for the Isles of Scilly can be seen here:

http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/Isles_of_Scilly

Cornwall (pages 4 - 8) on this thread, for more information click below:

http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/Cornwall

Devon (pages 8 - 12)on this thread, for more information click below:

http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/Devon

Please login to post to this thread...