Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Herstmonceux Castle, East Sussex

Herstmonceux

in the county of East Sussex

The Square

Beeston

in the county of Nottinghamshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

searching for a particular picture

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Lutes
Ron Lutes
quotePosted at 22:06 on 28th July 2010

Hi Everyone;

I'm looking for a picture of what was called the " Bradbury House or the " Brick House"  I think ist was located in the town of Wicken Bonhunt which is in Sussex County.  I'm not sure if the house is still there but any information about the house would be appreciated and even any pictures of it would be appreciated.  Thanks

Ron

email:  RWL2themax@aol.com

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 22:15 on 28th July 2010

Hello Ron, welcome to the POE site.  I am sure that someone here will be able to assist you, or point you in the right direction. 

Would you like to introduce yourself on the thread "User Introductions" so everyone can say Hi??

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 23:26 on 28th July 2010
Hello Ron, I can find a Wicken Bonhunt on the map, it is in Essex not Sussex and there is a mention of the Brick House in old writing so that could be where you are looking. Wicken Bonhunt is south west of Saffron Waldren and near the M11 motorway. Not much help but hope you are now going in the right direction. Vince.
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 01:07 on 29th July 2010

Hi Ron----photos of it do seem a bit scarce but I think its still there at a guess. Might it be the Bradbury family connection?

Bradbury's moved into the village around 1510 and the house was built in 1600 by William Bradbury and the Bradbury coat of arms was/is over the doorway.  The Bradbury's were a prominent former London family with them being , near the latter 1400s, Sheriff of London and also Lord Mayor of London. Made their money from expensive silks and such materials.

Ron Lutes
Ron Lutes
quotePosted at 11:24 on 29th July 2010

Yes Paul---You got it---my wife is a bradbury and is doing a family tree search and she is looking for any info about the family.  As you can see she's pretty far back and still connecting so any info she can find is very helpful.  Appreciate any other info anyone has plus still looking for the picture

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 14:12 on 29th July 2010

Hi Ron---before Brick House the family had been at Wicken Hall, and earlier, at Catmere Hall, Littlebury, Essex where they appear to have arrived from London.

William---who built Brick House----his father was Matthew; the 2nd son of Robert Bradbury who was Sheriff of London 1498.  Matthew was also nephew to Thomas Bradbury, Mayor of London 1509.  Thomas' wife was Joan, who has a school named after her in Saffron Walden, called Dame Bradburys School.

The family's occupation of textiles was known as a Mercer, and Joan appears in the Mercers Acts of Court as Lady Bradbury.

Some of their early times/family in Essex can be found here

http://dunhamwilcox.net/me/me_bio_bradbury.htm

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:29th July 2010 14:32
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 14:52 on 29th July 2010

Dame Johane Bradbury, formerly Bodley, Will was proven 1530 at the Perogative Court of Canterbury. She has mention therein of connections with Coleman St ( Colemanstrete) and St Stephen's, London.

Also Wellingborough, ( Wellingborow) Northamptonshire is mentioned 

Ron Lutes
Ron Lutes
quotePosted at 15:13 on 29th July 2010

Hi Paul; 

Thanks for the info--appreciate all the help.  I have pictures of Wicken Hall  and was wondering if it was the same " brick House"  apparently it was not, which is why the search.  Keep the info comming

Please login to post to this thread...