Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Pilley, Hampshire

Pilley

in the county of Hampshire

A Wide angle view of the River Stour at Mistley, Essex, where there are usually hundreds of Swans.

Mistley

in the county of Essex

Priory Ruins

Dudley

in the county of West Midlands

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Somthing is missing from POE

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 13:09 on 25th March 2010

Hi Cathyml,

I do not eat the type of food you are asking for but I am wondering if you can buy all the same ingredients in SA and continue eating the English type of food, also do you not have Easter Eggs in SA, I do not know the slightest thing about your adopted country, except the weather so please forgive my ignorance LOL

by the way are guineafowl edible?

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 13:13 on 25th March 2010
hello peggy,guinea fowl are very much edible and quite expensive and also very tasty they are better casseroled once you taste it you will want it again.Wink
Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 13:17 on 25th March 2010
Thanks James for the info, taste it-definately not, I am a veggie Cry
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 13:35 on 25th March 2010

Hi Peggy, I buy all the same type of food here as I did in the UK and cook it the same way.  However, there are a lot of fruits & veg and fish here that are different to what I grew up with in England.  As for James yanking your chain about guinea fowl - I must admit that it is definitely not anyone's regular diet and as with game birds in UK you need to watch which months you get them.  I have never cooked one!   

Foods which I don't seem able to get here and really wish I could are Pork Pies, Cod (the Hake here definitely is not a great substitute), walnuts (very expensive), decent smoked anything, including bacon,  I am sure the flavouring is all chemicals.  

Hot Cross Buns I can get pretty much all year round, Easter eggs have been in the shops since February, Karoo lamb is a wonderful flavoured lamb because of the herbs they eat in the bush veld (but have to pay more of course). Never seen Simnel cake here.  

There are many traditional South African recipes which are really very good, but we only have those sometimes if we eat out.

The husband is a meat, two veg, and pototo, man - so that is what I cook!!! (so boring!)

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 13:37 on 25th March 2010
Peggy perhaps you could go to the local bakery and just photograph all the goodies set out there! (Challenge - dare)Laughing
Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 16:47 on 25th March 2010
OK LOL
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:16 on 25th March 2010

Have to thank Rod Burkey for the photo of the hand raised pie - whoopee, someone heard my cry!!! and answered it

Hand Raised Pie.
Picture by Rod Burkey

Great one RodKiss

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 17:45 on 25th March 2010

Many love them & many hate pork pies. The best though, I think are the hand raised. Melton Mowbray, in the County of Rutland is famous for them.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:03 on 25th March 2010
Ah Pork Pie's! Wonderful....
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 18:14 on 25th March 2010
i have had an early tea to-night so i felt a bit peckish so i had a nice pork pie                which was meant for later on,dosed in colmans mustard.mmmm.Innocent