Colemere

in the county of Shropshire

Salcombe

Salcombe

a Seaside Town in the county of Devon

Autumn in Malvern Park 3

Solihull

in the county of West Midlands

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

National Trust Properties

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Sally Birch
Sally Birch
quotePosted at 20:28 on 13th February 2010

Only yesterday I was reading about a fairly recent protest in London organised by photographers in suport of our right to take photos in public places. I understand the worries about terrorism but if I was a terrorist and wanted to take images of target sites I dont think I would do it by lugging around a camera and possibly several lenses and a tripod. Just a trawl of the internet will provide information on all kinds of discrete photographic gear which is either almost invisible to the naked eye or is disguised as something else entirely. To my mind this is just another incidence of Britsh Law gone mad.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 07:27 on 14th February 2010
My business partner Martin had a man have a right go at him for taking a market scene part of which showed the man braiding hair. I think he thought Martin was from H M Revenue and Customs though!
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 01:41 on 25th May 2014

Now that we can sell images on PoE, the question of images taken on NT properties should be considered. The official NT line is that commercial photography (i.e. offering images for sale) requires their permission. Therefore I have been careful to ensure that any image I have uploaded to PoE of an NT location which was taken on NT property is not offered for sale.

However, if an image is taken of  an NT property, but from a location which is not on NT land (e.g. a telephoto shot from public land), do the same restrictions apply? My feeling is that they do not. An example is a recent picture I took of Greys Court in Oxfordshire, which was taken using a telephoto lens from a public footpath. Any opinions from our knowledgeable members on the legal issues here would be welcomed.

Greys Court House
Picture by Edward Lever

Edited by: Edward Lever at:25th May 2014 09:01
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 11:15 on 25th May 2014

As far as my understanding goes, if you are standing on 'public' property you should be OK, but I am not 100% on that. But certainly a very important issue for anyone here  wishing to sell images.

Hypothetical situation ...You are standing on a public right of way, but leaning over the fence of a 'private' property in order to improve your image compostion, and avoid spurious elements such as branches and undergrowth, your camera would then theoretically be within the boundaries of that private property ! ! ! Just a thought, altough it would take a lot of proving . . . .

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 11:59 on 25th May 2014
On 25th May 2014 11:15, Dave John wrote:

cut>>Hypothetical situation ...You are standing on a public right of way, but leaning over the fence of a 'private' property in order to improve your image compostion, and avoid spurious elements such as branches and undergrowth, your camera would then theoretically be within the boundaries of that private property ! ! ! Just a thought, altough it would take a lot of proving . . . .

Seems like I have opened a can of worms here, Dave. There is also the situation of photos taken from the air, now that remote-controlled quadcopters with cameras are available to the public, but that could be a new thread.
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 16:48 on 26th May 2014
The National Trust employs pro photographers who have exclusive access to these places. I don't know how sensitive they are about amateurs taking pictures, but maybe it would be sensible to not offer photographs for sale taken within the grounds of a NT property. I have a large collection of pictures of one National Trust property, but taken prior to being gifted to them. What the legal situation is here is interesting, but there is only one on POE, taken from within of mine, and it looks very different now. I gave a disc of a selection of these to the Trust and they seem more than happy about my private collection. 
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 17:37 on 26th May 2014
  Well I have spent most of this afternoon sifting through and submitting what would be mostly photographs of N.T. sites and entering them into a competiton. Panic not- the competition is for folk who have recently stayed in a N.T. cottage, main prize being a stay for 3 nights in one of their cottages of your choice. Then there are a multitude of £20 vouchers ( for N.T. shops of course ) for every shot that is used in the following year's brochure , I did have one shot used in the 2012 brochure. When you think of it , it is a very efficient way of getting a lot of fresh shots for the next brochure. If only I could get that winning shot- ho hum.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 17:46 on 26th May 2014
Best of luck to you Vince Smile
 Please login to post to this thread...