Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Rye

Rye

a Seaside Town in the county of East Sussex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Can you identify these pictures/places for Cathy?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 21:14 on 7th February 2010
Many thanks Ron, I have posted the link to those genealogical sites, maybe it will introduce lots of new visitors to this fabulous site!
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:09 on 8th February 2010
CathyML, I have moved the picture to Bromsgrove as you requested, but in view of the fact that members have been talking about both Bromsgrove and Bromyard wonder if this is what you really wanted? I will wait for your comment and move it again if you wish.
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 07:05 on 10th February 2010
Oh dear, constant problem Bromsgrove & Bromyard - it should have been Bromyard.  Sorry I missed your post, only looked now 'cos I wanted to bump it back up as THE WALL is still totally unidentified, several near misses but not The Wall.  Come on guys please find my wall, I have sent a request to England Heritage as well, let you know if I hear anything.
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 07:21 on 11th February 2010

Definitely not Bromsgrove Ron!

I am totally stuck with that wall Cathy! I did look at Dudley Castle the other day. I go to lots of castles being a member of English Heritage but I'm not sure. Do you think it could be Goodrich Castle? Ludlow has a castle too. My son Joe reckons we have walked past that wall so we are still trying to work it out!

Edited by: Stephanie Jackson at:11th February 2010 07:25
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 07:57 on 11th February 2010
I think one of the problems might be that those trees at the end of the wall are much bigger now and maybe hiding the tower, I have looked at all the photos on the internet for Ludlow Castle but cannot find that tower, checked out all the aerial photos I can find of castles, in the hopes that the tower will show up because I think it is fairly unusual in design, but nothing so far.  Really appreciate your time and trouble on this puzzle StephanieSmile
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 21:47 on 21st March 2010

As you will see I tried England Heritage on 10 Feb and still have received no reply!!!! only computer generated answer back to say they have got my email.  I have now sent it 3 times - given up on them.  So I have now sent it to National Trust and hope that maybe they can help.

I cannot find the wall and tower on any photo of the York city wall, or Ludlow, or Chester, I thought there might be a possibility of Arundel Castle but also cannot find it there. Tried everywhere I could think of in North Yorkshire

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 19:43 on 22nd March 2010
Outer curtain wall with bastion with crossbow loopholes
Picture by Cathy Longley

Having studied the 'wall' cathy i note that just in the corner (left) there is what appears to be a canopy above what could be a door into the tower. The ground appears to be low-lying and marshy sugguesting the castle/keep/monestry was not built on a hill, I also dont detect moss on the wall, sugguesting it could possibly be south or southeast facing, hope this is of use.
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:10 on 22nd March 2010

Gosh that was keen observation! I never noticed that projection before, now you have pointed it out can't see how I missed it.  "The ground appears to be low-lying and marshy", do you think it is possible that there was a moat here and where the trees are growing at the end was where the embankment was?  I haven't found any monastery with battlemented walls as this would not have gone along with the "peaceful" nature of the monastery.

I think every clue and observation will (hopefully) help to identify this place.   Many thanks

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:58 on 1st April 2010

SUCCESS!

Thanks to the very kind offices of The National Trust, one of their curators Mr Roger Carr-Whitworth Territory Curator North, has identified this photograph.  He says

"Part of the Castellated Wall and one of the Bastion Towers of the Carrmire Gate at Castle Howard".

I have moved the photo to this location now - and thank everyone for their efforts in trying to identify this photo.Smile

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 18:17 on 1st April 2010
a nice place to visit it is connected to the royal green jackets regiment.