Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Countryside view around Slaidburn, Lancashire

Slaidburn

in the county of Lancashire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Pictures of what?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 03:00 on 8th February 2010

Hi Rob:  That sounds lovely. 

I don't remember the name of my friends' town, but I know it's on the east shore of the thumb,  up at the north end,  because Joel (my friend) showed it to me on a map.  I love the way when you ask somebody from Michigan where they're from they do the hand thing.  lol

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 19:28 on 9th February 2010

Yep, showing people where you live in Michigan by holding up your hand is . . . handy!

Pretend that I'm holding up my right hand now and pointing to it's dead center--that's where I live and work!

Since the part of the Thumb that you describe is very sparsely populated, there are only a few towns on the shoreline that would fit the bill: Harbor Beach, Port Hope, Huron City (more a spot in the road than anything else) and Grind Stone City. We used to take the kids over to the Thumb from time to time when they were little so that they could swim in Lake Huron. Grind Stone City is named after the town's principal comodity--grind stones made from the grit stone that is so abundant there. In the shallow water along the shore in that region are old discarded grind stones of various sizes, which makes it difficult to swim there without scraping up your feet or knees!

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 03:12 on 10th February 2010

I wonder if that's where the old saying "back to the old grind stone" comes from.

Please login to post to this thread...
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5