Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Woburn Deer Park, Woburn Abbey, Bedfordshire. August 2006

Woburn

in the county of Bedfordshire

Watergate Bay

Watergate

in the county of Cornwall

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Pictures of what?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:40 on 17th January 2010

Weve had this discussion before of course, but the fact is that the pictures submitted by the members are assumed to be of that particular named area, otherwise what is the point? It does therefore give the POE visitor an idea of the type of flower, tree, bird, weather, transport system, farms, lakes in 'that' area. Even the sky can change from one location to another in the middle of summer or winter!

I think Stephanie hits the nail on the head Maurice. If you don't like what you see, then submit what you consider to be more appropriate pictures for that location. I also look forward to seeing them!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 12:45 on 17th January 2010

Hi Maurice

Thanks for your post. Our intention has always been to break the picture tours up into several tours, and that's what we hope to do eventually. Firstly a 'main' tour containing pictures that will give a good overall view of what someone can expect if they were to visit, such as town/village views, pictures of the local buildings and attractions, surrounding countryside etc, and then secondary tours, such as 'Joe bloggs pictures of worksop' presented as a choice at the end of the main tour,  along with other secondary tours, maybe even broken up into categories (flowers, churches, etc).

When budget allows, this is how the site will work, or along those lines, but for now we find it very hard to turn away a picture that someone has gone to the time and trouble to add to the site, as our intention is to use them all eventually (dependent on quality)

Maurice Turner
Maurice Turner
quotePosted at 21:08 on 18th January 2010

I have read with interest the comments and opinions expressed in response to my post about some of the photographs in the section on Worksop on the website.   After reading these I would like to add to what I originally wrote.  When I referred to photographs of birds and flowers having nothing to do with Worksop and that they could have been taken anywhere, I was not commenting on the quality of the pictures, some of them are nice pictures.  Additionally, I was not suggesting they had been taken anywhere other than in Worksop.  I still however feel that a photograph submitted for inclusion in the Worksop section should in some way reflect aspects of the town, its history, its buildings, streets, the park, the market.  Even a bus with a local destination showing would, I think, be an appropriate subject.

I am certain that pictures of flowers and wildlife are a valuable addition to the website under the wider caption “Pictures of England”  but should perhaps be presented under a different heading   When the pictures are eventually grouped into sub tours, “Pictures of England” will be an even better illustration of the diversity and attraction of the country we live in.

One or two suggestions were made that I should show some of my photographs of Worksop.  As I have said, I do have two of these in the Worksop section and although I have quite a few more taken in the town, I will not upload them because they do dot fit in with my idea as to what would be appropriate.  Although I have lived in Sheffield for many years, I have a lot of affection for Worksop.  I was born there (many years ago) and went to school there during the war.  I hope that when the nice weather arrives I will again be able to take a walk through the town with my camera on the lookout for more pictures!

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 22:10 on 18th January 2010
Have you read what POE owners Chris and Sarah say in response Maurice? It's the post above.
Maurice Turner
Maurice Turner
quotePosted at 10:26 on 19th January 2010

I have read what Chris and Sarah had to say Ron and I am grateful to them for the information and to you for prompting me to read it.  I think that when the site is eventually presented in the way they suggest it will improve an already wonderful website. Thanks!

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:47 on 19th January 2010
And thanks to you Maurice for your continued support.
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 06:41 on 20th January 2010
I will look forward to seeing your pictures in the spring & summer Maurice!
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 14:44 on 20th January 2010

A lot of my pics are close ups or could be taken anywhere, but they were taken where they're labelled, so that makes it a picture of the area it was taken, whether recognisible or not!

The thing is whether its a close up image of the area, maybe not seen by every passer by, and only by people who know the areas well, or just a view everyone would recognise as the place in question. If it was just an educational site or historical site maybe just the obvious viewpoints would be acceptable, but isn't it nicer to see some of the tucked away or hidden corners of these places??

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 15:11 on 20th January 2010
Speaking as a "peripheralist," I tend to really enjoy the photos of the hidden and the out-of-the-way, often in close-up. I'm that way in medieval churches, my academic specialty, in that I generally head straight for the nooks and crannies to see what interesting and often bizarre imagery I can find at the "margins," rather than focus on what I call "the main show" (i.e.--the large-scale fittings and structures that the architects of these buildings intentionally wanted to guide your eye toward). Just my tuppence!
Sally Birch
Sally Birch
quotePosted at 17:32 on 21st January 2010

I was really interested to read Chris and Sarah's comments on how they intend to develop the site site - very exciting can't wait.

I really love the diversity of the site and the fact that it not only portrays towns and villages but also special attractions which provide visitors with lots of ideas holidays and days out.