Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire - 'The Boat' by the canal

Berkhamsted

in the county of Hertfordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

FOREVER ENGLAND

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Vera Howarth
Vera Howarth
quotePosted at 12:34 on 16th October 2009

i hope I am not out of order by submitting photos from Flanders.Me and my husband regularly visit the battlefields of WW 1.his grandfather was killed in 1917 ,near Arras, and since visiting his grave for the first time in 1999  it's become a passion for us.

We feel we are visiting all of them ,not just our relative ,and many of them have not been vivited by their own folks.It's a priveledge for us to do so.

We have not only visited the British owns but the French,the German and the American WW1 one at Bony.

As these cemeteries are part of us I felt that people might like to have a glimpse.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 12:41 on 16th October 2009

Thank you Vera for submitting to Pictures Of England your really beautiful pictures from Flanders. However, I cannot approve them in the 'usual' pages, but you could load them for viewing here in the forum, as others have done for say the USA.

Imagine if we did approve them what would happen, it would open the floodgates for pictures from all over the world, thus soon outnumbering Pictures Of England.

Vera Howarth
Vera Howarth
quotePosted at 12:44 on 16th October 2009
I would gladly do that but how,I'm a bit thick with technology
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 12:51 on 16th October 2009
I'll get back Vera, need to attend to something else right now!
poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 13:12 on 16th October 2009

Here are your pictures Vera. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Vera wrote: "This a private memorial from our family to my husbands grandfather who was KIA near ARRAS -PAS DE CALAIS ON 23/04/1917-St Geoges day.We have placed it outside the wall of the cemetry that he is buried in- Cuckoo Passage ,Heninel- shown in next picture. We feel priveledged to visit our brave men left behind in these foreign fields and I always get the feeling that they know we are there. Each cemetry has a stone stating the fact that the government of the country have freely given the land on which the cemeteries are, in perpetuity, which makes them a part of us and our country."

A CORNER THAT IS FOR EVER  ENGLAND.
Picture by vera howarth

Vera wrote: "A corner of a foreign field in France"

A CORNER OF A FORIEGN FIELD
Picture by vera howarth

Vera Howarth
Vera Howarth
quotePosted at 13:34 on 16th October 2009

thanks for that.

I have a lot of info on the subject and if I can help anyone who has an interest or a relative I will gladly share what I can

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 00:34 on 17th October 2009

Lovely pictures, Vera.

I'm so glad that you asked about posting them, and that Chris put them in this thread.

One of my all-time favourite poems is In Flanders Fields. I have two uncles (great) who died on the Somme, so the poem and pictures mean allot to me. 

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 01:48 on 17th October 2009
I love the war poetry of Wilfred Owen, especially Dulce et Decorum Est. My grandfather fought in France and Belgium in the AEF in 1918 (147th Inf., 37th "Buckeye" Division). He was bayoneted during an engagement in the Baccarat sector of the Vosges Mountains in August, 1918, but recovered sufficiently to take part in the Meuse-Argonne offensive and also fought in the Ypres-Lys sector of Belgium. He was gassed in the last two weeks of the war and invalided out.
Fred In't Hout
Fred In't Hout
quotePosted at 13:59 on 21st October 2009

A very interesting site is wwar1.blogspot.com

It concerns the experiences of an English Soldier during the first World War.

Debbie Adams
Debbie Adams
quotePosted at 14:02 on 21st October 2009
Beautiful pictures  Vera,,, thanks for sharing them:)