Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

No.1 City Square, Leeds

Leeds

in the county of West Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Do I or don't I?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 Next >

Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 19:26 on 2nd September 2008

This morning I had a little wander down to the wetlands (not unusual for me, I often do pop down at about 6 am before my phone starts ringing) and I witnessed the most incredible thing. A common blue damselfly got caught in a spiders' web and as it struggled to free itself the spider pounced and killed it. I was transfixed and took several (a dozen or more) pictures of the whole episode, which was terrible but fascinating at the same time. I would liken it to a lion taking an antelope...it really was that intense.

I realise that this is nature, in all its' glory, and I know that these events must go on day after day, but do I share the pictures with you? As odd as it sounds, there's an element of beauty in the whole thing....the bite, the way the spider manouvers its' helpless prey, and of course the spinning of the web to contain the damselfly. If you wouldn't care to see the pictures, please let me know....I won't post them if that's the case.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 19:33 on 2nd September 2008
I would love to seem them.  It would be very interesting!! 
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 19:36 on 2nd September 2008
Thanks Krissy, I'll see what everyone else thinks....................
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 19:39 on 2nd September 2008

Nature is nature, and has it's beauty in all spheres.

I would love to see the photo's for their beauty, Andy. I bet they are stunning.

Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 19:43 on 2nd September 2008
The way I see it Sue, I took a picture just the other day of a dragonfly laying its' eggs in the canal...that's the start of the cycle, this is the end of it.
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 19:46 on 2nd September 2008
Post them Andy, by all means. It is, as yourself and Sue have said a fascinating part of nature. Just don't get upset if I don't look! Creep crawlies AND spiders! EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YellEmbarassed
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 19:48 on 2nd September 2008
Brown hawker dragonfly (female).....aeshna grandis
Picture by Andy Edwards

This is the first time I've ever caught this with my camera, I couldn't believe my luck.
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 19:50 on 2nd September 2008
I saw this earlier today!!  These things NEVER stay put long enough!! Kudos to you for a great photo!
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 19:52 on 2nd September 2008
Luck Krissy. Right place, right time! Luck again earlier today with the spider....but I'm pleased I got lucky.
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 20:07 on 2nd September 2008
What creature do you save, the damselfly to live another day or the spider, who may die of starvation if you do save the damselfly? Of course you must post them Andy. It is part of the UK life and death cycle. I did post a photo on here of a spider killing a fly. Not perfectly focused, but you could make out what was hapening.
1 2 3 4 Next >