Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Bridge Avenue, Otley, West Yorkshire

Otley

in the county of West Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Peter's picture. What do you think about....

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 22:03 on 25th August 2008
I Dont know if any of you watch Coutryfile on the BBC on sundays. But they did a piece about wind turbines. The farmers rent the land to the electric companies for the turbines, which gives them extra income all year round. The cables are buried deep in the ground so as not to affect the farmers crops. And they dont lose much in the way of usable land for the turbines to be errected. The farmers actually make a bit more money from an income that they would not have in the winter. So this is a hidden benefit.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Mick Ascroft
Mick Ascroft
quotePosted at 23:36 on 25th August 2008

I really dont know about these turbines to be honest, i've heard good things about them and i've also heard bad things.

On a similar  thing.

A Good friend of mine who lives in the middle of nowhere in scotland was approached regarding mobile phone masts and while originally he was horrified about the idea, he eventually agreed to it and gets paid a handsome sum per year which helps a hell of a lot towards his business, so while some people hate these with a passion, it obviously helps certain people to survive.

Susan Wood
Susan Wood
quotePosted at 00:01 on 26th August 2008
You can please some of the people some of the time .....
Cathy E.
Cathy E.
quotePosted at 01:18 on 26th August 2008
Peter, there is a rainbow to every cloud. Wink
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 11:02 on 26th August 2008
On 26th August 2008 01:18, Catherine England Schleunes wrote:
Peter, there is a rainbow to every cloud. Wink

So true. One mans meat is another mans poison. I think I would prefer the turbines to atomic power stations though.
Cathy E.
Cathy E.
quotePosted at 11:05 on 26th August 2008
Me too! Smile
Shirley K. Lawson
Shirley K. Lawson
quotePosted at 22:35 on 29th August 2008

They want to put them about an mile off the west coast over here also, they already stretch the hills of Washington State along the Columbia River...the solution to it all are things people dont' like, they are...controlled population, going back to many of the old ways, where people got up at sunrise and went to rest at sunset, they are not so much advertising also, street lights, nightime activites such as sports games, some of it can be helped with solar energy also. I think there's an need to diversify everything we do that needs energy to operate on also. It will be an problem for the future generations, we are just now getting into realizing the situation for many of us. 

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 23:47 on 29th August 2008
If something isnt done, we will be killing our grandkids.
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:22 on 26th September 2008

I found this article interesting.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/climate/help/renewablesrevolution/index.asp

Especially this. Worth looking in to for those of you living in the UK and able to help out.

If the UK could do one big thing to slash its carbon emissions, it would be to transform the power generation sector from one that is wasteful and heavily dependent on traditional fossil fuels to one that is highly efficient and relies on the UK's abundant renewable resources of wind, sun and surf.

The UK Government appears to be leaning the opposite way. It is considering energy company proposals to build or upgrade around eight coal-fired power plants around the UK.

Please login to post to this thread...
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5