Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Acton Burnell - the Castle and St. Mary's Church

Acton Burnell

in the county of Shropshire

Cheltenham's Regency Promenade

Cheltenham

in the county of Gloucestershire

A Wide angle view of the River Stour at Mistley, Essex, where there are usually hundreds of Swans.

Mistley

in the county of Essex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Peter's picture. What do you think about....

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 Next >

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 18:59 on 11th August 2008

Wind Turbines?

Are they going to spoil our countryside?

Will they be worth it?

Will there come a day when this is all we see on our horizons?

Wind turbines.
Picture by Peter Evans

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 19:10 on 11th August 2008
I was horrified when I saw Peter's photo today. We have the odd one around us, but a forest of them? They're a lot bigger than what they seem.
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 20:09 on 11th August 2008
I see lot of them traveling round the west of Cornwall, also round Cambridge and south Lincolnshire. Wherever you get a good breeze you seem to find them now. I think we are just going to have to get used to them. The farmers dont mind them in thier fields. They dont take up a lot of space and its all year round rent for the farmers.
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 20:31 on 11th August 2008
Despite the good intentions no one can deny they are an eye-sore.  Residents on Cape Cod off the New England Coast are fighting just such a "forest" as you put it Paul.  Seems everyone wants green as long as it doesn't inconvenience them in any way.  I am not sure what the solution is.
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 20:57 on 11th August 2008
I quite like them! Oh dear - everyone will hate me now!!! They are environmentally friendly and we need the power. The only thing that worries me is the danger to the birds.
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 21:41 on 11th August 2008
The view from the Ouse bridge (M62) looking towards Airmyn bridge and Drax power station
Picture by Andy Edwards

Well folks, here's the alternative.....Drax power station near Selby, Yorkshire. In fact, anyone who has driven along the M62 will know that this is just one of three such blots on the landscape in the area, the other two being Eggborough and Ferrybridge. I live 15 miles away from Drax and on a clear blue sky day you can see the sulphur clouds from this monstrosity stretching fully thirty miles. Drax is the biggest coal consuming power station in Europe, I dread to think how much carbon monoxide it pumps into our atmosphere every day and it's butt ugly too. I'd love to see a thousand wind turbines along the stretch of land where these three horrific plants stand. I'd also love to see a blue sky with no yellow tinge to it. Wind turbines are fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 21:46 on 11th August 2008
Glad you like them too Andy! I must say it's still a great shot! There are some of these chimneys blotting the landscape at Ironbridge which is otherwise such a beautiful place!
L
L
quotePosted at 21:54 on 11th August 2008
I don't really know what I think about them, there's none near me but i've heard that they're quite noisy!
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 21:57 on 11th August 2008
I used to deliver to Drax Stephanie, until you get up close you just can't imagine the size of the place. The large chimney you can see is over 500 feet tall and the turbine house is well over half a mile long. I took this picture from the Ouse bridge, probably about 4 miles away from the power station. It's frightening!! And yes Stephanie, I love the wind turbines....not one ounce of carbon monoxide comes from them. On my travels I have seen very many of them...in Scotland they stand on top of mountains and don't look too bad at all. We have to balance the effects on the atmosphere with asthetics.....take a trip through London or any other big city these days, there are plenty of buildings and factories that make wind turbines look like Jennifer Aniston!
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 22:21 on 11th August 2008

You make a good point, Andy.

We have a power plant close to Oxford, in Didcot. You go to the beauty spots and all you can see in one direction are three huge puffing chimneys.

The only place I have seen the wind turbines is a place called Livermore in California, they are everywhere.

I guess it's the lesser of two evils.

1 2 3 4 5 Next >