Highcliffe

in the county of Dorset

PEEBLES - SCOTTISH BORDERS

Peebles

in the county of Borders

Birmingham Botanical Gardens

Edgbaston

in the county of West Midlands

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

...pictures of cob cottages?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

L
L
quotePosted at 07:18 on 31st March 2008
Oh dear Rose..nothing worse than a sick computer, glad it's well again and letting you back in here! Smile Are you going to put a piccie up here or are you going to stay looking like a chessman? LOL
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 10:23 on 31st March 2008
Oh dear Rose, those little bugs get everywhere dont they?  Give the puter a sprey with bug killer, and a quick kick. That works.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:47 on 31st March 2008
Talking of bugs Peter, I just enhanced your avatar pic and bearing in mind I spent nearly 21 years in the pest control industry I think you should remove that mould growth that we can see, and treat that nasty rash both above and below your lips. Perhaps you should use 'puter sprey'...pillock!
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 16:36 on 31st March 2008
Init nice to have friends? They give you all sorts of good advice.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:33 on 31st March 2008
Peter, I have to apologise, to say sorry to you mate...my mate of many yea....well days anyhow! I want you to know that I am offering the olive branch from now on. Thinks....that'll keep him on my side! C'mon Peter, lets get that Andy!
L
L
quotePosted at 20:43 on 31st March 2008
Awwww poor Andy, can I join in? lol
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 22:21 on 31st March 2008

Lyn

You mean with Peter and me, or are you looking to rough up Andy a bit? If you are concerned about Andy don't be, because by this time tomorrow (if he takes my advice in another thread) he will be floating in the north sea!

Rose Goth
Rose Goth
quotePosted at 23:43 on 31st March 2008

Who is Andy?

...at least introduce him before he gets the boot!

I must say, I have joined a variety of forums, and none is such fun as this.  Never before has talking about cob stirred up such excitement.

If I can stop laughinginging .ing..ing... long enough I'll attempt to adress some earlier questions aked of me, and ask a few of my own.

So, as  I understand it, straw is used in thatch, wattle and cob; with or without the dung?.  Mud on the other hand is used in walls and not on roofs, but is most fun when slinging?  ...had heard of "wattle and daub" but never knew what it was. Sounds like it is similar to cob, but with a few sticks thrown in with the mud? ...any pictures of wattle Peter?

Rose

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 23:47 on 31st March 2008
Ah, the north sea. Used to fishing in the north sea. Decided to take my wife for her first sea fishing trip. But, she started trying to put me on the hook.When I screamed "What are you doing?". She said "you told me to put a worm on the hook."  But I said a rag worm you fool. Her reply was "But you look like a rag you worm". I never took her again.
Rose Goth
Rose Goth
quotePosted at 23:47 on 31st March 2008

also, to any who care or dare to dive in;  Any guess estimate or facts re. which is the older building style,  cob w' thach roof or wattle and daub?

or are they a regional style?

Prehaps somebody decided that cob on its own was nor stable enough, especially in case of earthquake and tried reinforcing with sticks? as in enough w' the mud, heres an olive branch?           Rose