Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Early evening playtime on the wettest street in Slimbridge, Gloucestershire

Slimbridge

in the county of Gloucestershire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

As seen on TV

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 10:05 on 9th November 2007

Hi folks

The other day on a television advert (not sure what it was advertising) I caught a glimpse of a view that I instantly recognised as being the same as from a picture featured on this site (see below).
The film clip was virtually identical to the picture, which is of Gold Hill in Shaftesbury, Dorset. Has anyone else seen the advert? and do they know what it was advertising?
The wonderful photo below is by Paul Hilton and can be found here

Shaftesbury - by Paul Hilton

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 11:38 on 9th November 2007

The only TV advert I've seen this street on was for Hovis Bread where a young boy was pushing his bicycle loaded with fresh bread up the hill which was portrayed as being in Yorkshire and often screened during the 1970s.

Paul Hilton

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 17:07 on 9th November 2007
I remeber the Hovis add's, and yes that is the place. The other one is for one of the supermarket chain, Asda?. With Dhermod Kelly Pushing a shopping trolly up the hill.  I probably spelled Dhermodt wrong.
poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 23:50 on 11th November 2007

Hi Paul, thanks for the initial picture and thanks for the info on the Hovis advert. I vaguely remember the old Hovis ad, but no doubt like millions of others always thought it was in Yorkshire

Hi Peter, you were very close! Your mention of ASDA was all it took for Sarah to remember that it was in fact an advert for the supermarket chain Morrisons. Seems like they have played on the old advert by using the same location to advertise their own bread! Although I havent seen the advert again, it mentions it on wikipedia here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaftesbury

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 16:11 on 12th November 2007
Thanks POE. Still cant spell Deirmuid, But it is Gavin not Kelly, That much I know. He is the Irish garden designer.
 Please login to post to this thread...