Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Chilham

Chilham

a Picturesque Village in the county of Kent

Largs Town, North Ayrshire, Scotland.

Largs

in the county of North Ayrshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Good Day "64"

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 05:53 on 28th February 2017

Sorry I haven't been in for an day or so...we took off and went to Mt. Hood...that was after "words" because he wanted to go to the ocast and on TV news I saw snow over the coastal mountains down to on the beach...I in no way wanted to fight the curving mountain roads with snow on them. So I took him to MT Hood and we stayed at "The Resort" near Bowman's Golf course.  I use to talk to her when she'd come into the store where I worked.  They gave us an "fireside" suite...real fireplace...huge bed, sofa/chair..long desk great big TV in front of the bed, double sized shower...just very nice...all done up in the same color as my livingroom here.  Big room also, with an extra blowing space heater over the sofa also. So I laid down in front of it and read my Dan BRown book...relaxed.  WE went to the store to get muchies also, and ate out at our favorite little restrurant up there...she made me something that wasn' t on the menu...an New York Steak with baked potato an veggie and salad, and bread pudding desert warmed up...it's been years now since I ate an steak like that because of dieting. Perfect, the steak melted in my mouth. WE checked out th eopen air warmed swimiing pool, the lounge, and their dinner room, called Altitudes. Had complimentary breakfast the next morning, in front of huge glass windows and snow laden trees that wer just beautiful...the trees took most the light snowfall, so coming home was no hassel getting back here. Perfect weekend get away and the lady in the gift shop asked me to show her some of my ornaments, she might like to buy some of them. Hubby chilled out and fell alsleep sitting up in an chair next to the fireplace....I think he needed some time off also. Right now is thier busiest time at work as they are into shipping....and he's the inventory clerk. He's been getting home an little later all last week and I know he has the Scout CAndy sale comeing up next.  My back been bothering me today, like I strained it, but I think some of this is just the nerves of cabin feaver more or less releasing. 

I have one of those patches that has novocaine in the meds...works for 8 hours. So I best get going for now.  

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:10 on 28th February 2017

Ron in a pub Shirley? I don't remember the last time I had a beer in a pub, mainly due to the massive mix of medications I'm on that affect me soon after, or put me to sleep a lot quicker! lol

Brilliant news that you have got your weight to under the 200 pounds, very well done Shirley and do try to keep it up as you will feel a whole lot better if you can! I know very well how hard it is to get it off, but equally how very easy it is to put it back on so think of POE every time you are tempted to sneak that 'extra' point!

Hi to all POEsters wherever you are.

quote | editPosted at 07:26 on 2nd March 2017

How true Ron, have an pound to lose again to be back under 200 from the weekend out..but the Paleo diet says it ok to do once an week, one meal o fyour choice..and that includes an beer or drink also.  though medications often don' t sanction it. I came home to find out my nieghbor up the street had died of an heart attack . My grand-daughter came over today an refused to leave without taking me out to lunch...so we went out to lunch and I bought an small bowl of  chicken noodle soup and ate some of her french fries and bought a take out turkey sandwhich for my hubby's dinner with soup I made here and the sandwhich and fries they made for him. It looked pretty enticing for dinner also. I did not know if I could get up and walk out of this house after an few days of back pain....but it was gone this morning so thought I'd try...she insisted she wasn't going to leave without me. I took an crutch just in case though to help me walk.

Just finsihed watching "Alaskan Bush People" do thier finaly show and how much progress and heart ache all year long they have had trying to establish thier home. I noticed something, and always do when I watch theri shows, earlier in the year they had an bear break into their house...I thought it had torn off the door wat, it didin't it tore off the house siding next to an bedroom wall.  For some reason I dream abou tthese people, and things come to meat night to help them...what they need. Like two horses to help pull long logs on chains to make an stockade wall around thier homestead...like the pioneers use to do. Not just for wild indians either but for bears also, it apparently takes the thickness of logs to keep them from tearing the homestead apart. But they did mention that their bearsup there are 800 pounds and 12 feet high also...thank God they sleep 7 months..in hibernation. They spent the summer wreacking the house and also and storage fo rmeat over winter...and one would guess it's because it wasn't made out of thick logs either...now they have windmill electricity....and one can only hope they can wire such buildings up with it to keep the bears out.  The stockade would be an over all cure to their problem, about 20 feettall stacked th elong way and in "niches" on the ends and one over the other...side walls. Not so easy to take apart 20 foot tree lengths stack on on top the other...but they would need horse to help pull with chain up to where they want to build and perhaps pulleys to get them settled on top of each other. If the kids each plan to build themselves an house or cabin next to there lodge like building...the stockade woudlk keep everyone safer over the time the bears are out of hibernation.. It would pr0tect thier garden likewise if inside and stocade also, as well as any livestock they might have.

My dreams lately include the Indians over on the east side o fthe Dalles, Oregon also. These people are living in such poverty, the state politicans got together to pass an bill to help them out of "dire nessisty for survival". Ihave been dreaming that they built them 30 foot cement tipi's....the top is an glass dome with the stove pipe goring through it an d spark arester on top...with fake poles stick out the top also like an tipi would look...just below the top and rim af glass with inserted "fish" going around it for decoration....further down and window to the east, the morning sun...with n smaller one on the other side...next to an stairwell for an downstairs basement, for bedrooms.Coming up the top of the stairway would be an adjacent retangle room attached ot the bak of the tipi...out of cement also....with bathroom on one side...other side laundry room....doors to close in both...the rest of the room would be an walk way outside and the other side would be an long kitchen with an long table in front of it.  There would also be an front door..finish it off with an three car car port in the front that is well lighted at night and can be enclosed over winter with tarps iff need be...thye could use this able to shed snow off of it on it's own also. Two cars for the family and one for  visitor's or an small RV perhaps.  When they come into the front door, they could see an center open firepit with smoke stack raising up outside...around it, sofa sleepers, and when you look back at the doorway up above an tv set.  Perhaps large wall shelf behind the sofa's aon the back wall of some kind.  Now I know they willnever get something of this type, but it's what they need for their kids in teh futre perhaps, because these are people that often live together...and this helps to take in the cultural way of living and adds some pizzaz to it also...with the glass panels.  The cement sides would be easy to clean...probably cost less to build also. They could put heating tiles down on the floor dowstairs and use them in the winter time also. They could put an BBQ outside and picnic table also in one of the carports for summer time. Again, an cement pad to be used for an patio also. Kids on trikes outside if it were raining....a place to striing up and clothes line also.  Final touch might be an computer desk in front of the stairway...with lamp. The downstairs an 60 foot square would give divided four bedrooms... or added storage. They could use an porta-potty downstairs at night..one o fthose kinds that makesthe waste into ash...or just dries it up.. They could use single bunk beds down there. along one wall... also with an table/desk between and an master bedroom Larger bed) enclosed... and the rest "play area". Now, both subjects etched in my mind..maybe I can go to sleep now and not think about it?..Heh?

I go for now I guess and hope I can walk again sometime this year as I have lots of work to do around here also, and my other neighbor that my hubby is dealing with for trees around their yard sent me over an paper of what she has planned for her landscaping....and I sent her back that with the physical disabilities I 'd like an private two person pulley type elevator on the south side of my house maybe this year...and that would be something to accomplish indeed. One big enough to hold luggage going downstairs and groceries going upstairs...maybe an wheelchair also.  JohnL is still sending me ideas on that one. He says he found an motor that could raise 1,000 pounds...kind a bit over what I was expecting.I thought maybe 500 pounds max.  True, groceries can add up in weight though....if you know anyone that has one send me the details on it please.  She said that they were also going to remodel thier garage.

My nieghbor has not been looking good for several years now for some reason, he told me he was fighting off diabetes also...so is an son she had by previous marriage.. For some reason these doctors around here have nothing else on their minds these days...but money. He has an very large family with him and his kids marrying her and her kids. It appears they all failed his health concerns. So now they will lose all those big dollars they were making him spend I guess you know. 

Will talk to you later on....and another month has now started...and people are hoping if it comes in like an lion it will leave like an lamb and it seems to be doing that so far...we might again get light snow the end of this week. .

Hubby has an Scout candy sale coming up here soon also. 

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 04:40 on 3rd March 2017

I had to tell you about Kenny dyng as he was the thrid one in three years time...I keep telling you we are getting "attacked" by someone. perhaps our own Govt. these days. I know that my kitty cats suffer also. I have my feet in lipocaine patches right now.Hubby came up and put them on for me and then stockings. I'm tired an want to go to bed early tonight. I started cleaning out my car trunk, lucked out , asa n half gallon tea had broken inside of it...when I got  to the nitty gritty, it all drained an about 12 rolls of toliet paper, soaked in them an molded, they all got thrown out

I lost down 3 pounds recently so Jan and through Feb there was an 10 pound loss total. . About 17 pounds or so left and I"m quitting for an bit. Will talk to you later on, tomarrow take inventory in the trunk and replace what needs to be for this summer and be done with that for an bit. I have some things around here, like candles can go in there now that Christmas is done. In glass jars..Yankee candles, some clothes need washed also...I'll be busy no doubt. So better go for now...Have an good evening everyone!

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 01:53 on 5th March 2017

What an weird week it's been....we came back to town to find out my neighbor two doors down had died of an heart attack on Feb, 25th...he has the shortest obt I've ever seen on information for his life... but an celebration of life service coming up  March 12, at the Good Shepard Church. So everything is kind of in an stand still since then.  we were told by our neighbor an day or so later. 

We are expecting snow tomarrow and the next day, not to much though...hopefully. I went out today hunting down some things for Easter gifts for my craft room to be given to the "The Resort" we stayed at last week for their gift shop.

My leg is bothering me because of the temperature dropping for tomarrow, so will go for now and try to keep warm,  sent hubby out for an pizza.....talk later on. 

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 02:37 on 6th March 2017

Hi there, been reading my Dan Brown book like mad, only have about 150 pages left now, and my house needs some picking up and cleaning therafter. It hasn't snowed here yet, but there's an light dusting over at the coast right now, so it will arrive by morning most likely. My book is kind of tellling and filling in all the missing pieces right now....yes..there's been an plaque set off to begin unless everyone can figure out where it's at and stop it before the plastic bag it's in deteriorates...and turns it free and out into the world. This is an very complex book. It deals with issues in the world as well as history and it's story. The Vatican should read it...it says we are headed to annilate ourselves unless we stop having all the kids in the world, cut down our population world wide to sustain itself. ....and I wonder in the last ten years how many people have died vs how many people have been born. Nor did I know that when the Black death killed most everyone...I think they said one person in every three in Europe, it also took out 160,000 people in China. China has made it's country manditory on population rules already. I think the code is to only have enough children to cover yourself now, should you die.

Been wearing the patches with the pain gel in them yesterday and today...they do help in ways...but I don't want to be on them forever, as they have thier problems also medically. I worked some more on stocking up the car for this summer...so we can stay where and however we'd like while traveling. I enjoyed the nice room we had last week, but had thought of an renovated KOA camprgound cabin, we had no bedding with us, so we took to the mote linstead...surprisingly the price difference wasn't that much more to stay in the nice very motel. Even while there we were into my car trunk to get things we needed...paper towels...extra presto logs....snacks and goodies...and the list goes on. Those goodies were welcomed also. I guess I go for now...heater just came on for the lowering of the temperature tonight most likley.Hope it doesn't stay on to long though..it's quite costly these days. They lie when they say it's an customer service...all my nieghbors have already switched to natural gas....and automatic gas fireplaces. Soooooooooo....I guess I bid adue to everyone for now...... Have an good evening! 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:35 on 6th March 2017

Are they the patches that feel ice cold Shirley? Do they actually work and how long can you leave them on for?

Great to read through your posts Shirley. Good times, bad times, cheerful occasions, sadnesss it's all there eh?

Hi to all POEsters wherever you are.

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 06:17 on 7th March 2017

Hi Ron...., No, they aren't icey cold at all, nor hot either...they have the stuff that deadens pain in all those new patches they sell these days. The aspere cream patches with the Liprocaine (?) in it are $7.99 each these are an different brand that just came out with 14 per cent pain killer in them, and are 6 patches for $8.99. Yes, they do work, they slow release the pain killer as you walk. they stop the pain at night also, so one can sleep easier. You can leave them on as long as 8 hours...I wrap my foot with tape after applying the patch so it stays intact. They make patches for all kinds of areas on your body but these mention foot pain.  My feet never go icey cold, even out on the front proch under the lawn swing..there's three sleeping bags, an electric blanket and an clam shell portable heater on top the patio table and all is wrappped in plastic tarps..two of them....the porch is waterproofed also.  So like if you want to go out there...take your cell phone and call out an delivered pizza to eat while you visit, or rest.  One LED light out there and extra propne cylinders for the portable camp stove. Proably warmer out there the n in the house at times. The heat does help keep my muscels from twitching so badly also. On my bed, top of it, I have an huge amount of pillows of all kinds, and one big blanket that goes down the lenght of the bed...and one that goes horizonantly half way down the bed, the electric blanket is under my comforter on top the bed. AS I don't like weight on my feet as they are bothering me, this way I crank the electric blanket up to about an 9...and let things warm up....I get in bed, if my feet are cold I pu it under the horizontal blanket, and the vertical one lay son top, and the cat down toward the end of the bed. I thn turn down the electric blanket to about 6 ot 7 and sleep that way. I ammore comfortable. Many times besides my nightgown, I also wear a sweater for my top half and get all comfyin all these pillows no matter which way I turn. There is something about this arrangement that I drop off to sleep and sleep like an log for about 10 hours most nights. Which this books says I must do in order to heal myself from the trama of the physical pain going on in my body....which isi why my muscels twich and pulsate sometimes and cause the nerve pain also. It all just kind of goes away.

We had no snow here today, but in the hills around us there was 3 to 8 inches this morning...schooll concert got postponed another two days. Kids woke up to about three inches out where they live. I do think though that about everyone is tired now of the snow/bad weather here....kids have missed about 6 days of school now this year. Our tulips are up, though not blooming as of  yet, they put out all the Spring flowers last week to plant. So I hope no more snow until next winter. The tarps will not come off the lawn swing until night time temperatures are around 50 degrees or higher.  I use that lawn swing for when people come over and must wait for me to come home from shopping or what ever....or for kids want to talk, as long as they don't get rowdy. From the front of the porch, covered up you really don't see it there unless you know about it.....Just looks likes something in storage in an brown tarp. I have an couple of fake trees out there an some extra chairs to sit in also, so its decorated in ways....all of it is out of the weather. The dome over the porch is in see through clear plastic tarp. I go out there on sunny days to see the birds hitting the bird feeders also....chirpping happily.  You know my hubby allows no smoking in our house...so adults go out there also for an smoke occasionally.

I guess I should get going for now, if I can ever move around again I have the gift shop lady wanting to see my ornaments to possibly buy also, up at "the resort" at the mountain is th ename of the place...though I'm working on some Easter things right now for her. Wind chimes with april shower umberellas danging down...small metal ones and small pipes to blow into each other for the chimes. Tired, so  I guess I go for now...have an good evening everyone!  

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 20:44 on 7th March 2017

....Ron...I need to give you some clarification on the gel patch....they are good for 8 hours at an time, you can use up to three patches per day..they recomend for 7 days...they are callled "Salonpas" Lidocaine 4 % pain releiving Gel-patches, they come from Japan.made by the Hisamitsu Co,, Inc. ...you can not use them with an heating pad, or if you have any wounds n your skin..they are made for pain only. Do not wrap tightly with an bandage if you use them. The patches are stretchable..they are 10 cm x14 cm large., it says they are unscented numbing relief.  They come in an sealed packet in the box,(6 patches) and it's an silver box with navy blue writing. I usually put mine on during the day so I can walk, and if I use the electric blanket at night...I take them off.  It still works best for the muscle pain to put heat on it.

I am half way through the time I started using them, yes, they work for me on the foot pain...it's not as severe.  I can actually get up and walk an bit, I still have difficulty with the muscle weakness though.  I also have some aspere cream for that with the same numbing effect. I am getting reports over here that with this eather they are gettin "brown outs" over in eastern Oregon...it snowed last night at Meadows ski area, 23 inches total in 24 hours. So I would guess

to an person of sensitive health to begin with this is amny problems as was stated to the reporter by another thisis bad "ju-ju" going on and no tgood with anything that's electrical...which is probably why my sister' clothes dryer went out as it was an used on whn she got it...and possibly why Kenny (nieghbor) died last Friday...that was the first time they were saying we had an snow problem for the weekend..he had an heart attack,   people are electricity in ways starting with thier muscels and nerves and their heart. I call It begining "attacked" and I wish they would quit...oir lessen things considerably. Guy talking to the reporter told her what kind of an meter to get to see how much effect they are putting out with this technology. He forgot say what to do to get rid of it though. It is raining here now. The storm has passed over Oregon I would say....the opera type sounding frequency left this morning.  

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 20:50 on 7th March 2017
I don' t know if this affects my computer also in the  mis-spellings but it's been bad enough that people are noticing things just are not "right" these days concerning the weather. This morning an tornado touched down in Minnesota, they said... the earliest on record for that kind of an storm in thier area also.