Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The gardens at Titsey Place

Oxted

in the county of Surrey

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Zika Virus

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 07:45 on 8th February 2016

Having spent more than 21 years in the pest control industry I am not convinced that the mosquito is the vector of this virus. Why, because mosquitos generally want stagnant water to multiply and most places that I have seen on television where the Zika Virus seems to be prolific doesn't fit the bill.

I think it's more likely to be transmitted by human to human after contact with each other after a bite from a mosquito elsewhere. Maybe the virus changes in the human body? People move, have contact with each other and naturally transfer any disease.

Just a hunch, but a serious matter that needs sorting quickly.

What are your thoughts members?

Edited by: Ron Brind at:8th February 2016 10:34
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 10:52 on 8th February 2016
Myself i would think this problem should be taken more serious--we dont know what people are bringing into the country-even more so now.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 00:06 on 9th February 2016
The Zika virus seems to be most prevalent in Brazil, where the water supply system in many urban areas (especially in the favelas) is pretty ramshackle. Large areas of water are not necessary for the mosquitos to multiply. The domestic water storage tanks are not usually well sealed, and combined with the tropical climate, this provides plenty of opportunity for mosquitos to multiply close to human habitation.Other methods of transmission of infection are certainly possible though, from already infected victims.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:38 on 24th February 2016
Seems there's a lot more to this Zika virus than first meets the eye. Needs to be sorted out before it becomes a worldwide issue, or is it already?
Neil Rodgers
Neil Rodgers
quotePosted at 20:55 on 24th February 2016

I am preparing my mosquito trap for the summer, we already have plants on the terrace that deter the little blighters.

Instructions for the home made trap

Required items Large plastic bottle, Brown sugar, Yeast and hot water.

Cut the bottle across 2/3 way up the bottle invert top of bottle and place in top of open bottle.

Fill to 1/3 depth with hot water add sugar and let it desolve then add the yeast give it a quick swish round to mix.

The gas given off the fermenting mixture attracts mosquitos big style they enter and axfixiate in the gas produced by the fermenting I suppose it might also work with Midges   

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:07 on 29th February 2016

I think a lot of people would do well to take notice of your 'concoction' Neil, although I've never heard of it previously.

This Zika virus is becoming a major problem I think and transmitted, as I suggested in the first post, by human contact.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 07:39 on 24th March 2016

It's gone quiet so what's happening?

Summer is coming and the virus will escalate...

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 23:19 on 24th March 2016

You can be sure that the Zika virus is still there causing problems. The news media feed on whatever is the tragedy of the day, Yesterday's story of doom and gloom is quickly replaced by a different one.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:23 on 27th March 2016

Very true Edward.

My guess is that ticks and their potential to put you into intensive care (Lyme Disease) will become the next major talking point as the Summer arrives and many people holiday under canvas, hence my recent new post.

Please login to post to this thread...