Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The beach at Hallsands, Devon.

Hallsands

in the county of Devon

The Town

Wooler

in the county of Northumberland

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

What has gone wrong with BBC News?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 15:29 on 22nd July 2015

I watch very little television but sometimes I like to catch up on the news with the BBC 24 Hour News. Recently though, there seems to have been a bizarre dumbing down of the BBC presentations. So much so I often watch Sky News instead.

It is a shame that I cannot express my dissatisfaction with the BBC by withholding the License Fee, but they have us over a barrel.

Edited by: Edward Lever at:22nd July 2015 15:33
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 15:40 on 22nd July 2015

Must agree with you Edward i tend to watch ITV which gives you a bit more story than the BBC-i too wish we could withold the Licence.Smile

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:09 on 22nd July 2015

I also watch Sky News rather than the BBC Edward but not sure of the reason, other than Sky always seem to have the latest information with people that seem to be on the spot when needed.

I would guess the BBC watch Sky also and deliver it later! lol

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 21:53 on 20th August 2015
What really annoys me about the BBC News Channel is an idiot spot called 'Outside Source' which comes on between 9.00 and 10.00 pm, just when most people want UK News. This is the time I switch to Sky. I remember the old days when the BBC stood for quality and intelligent programming, now most of it is ****
Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 22:11 on 20th August 2015

You should be over here in the states, where you get an weather report for an week's rain and it never shows up as half the state is burning down and they are calling in the National Guard...or are they, we really won' t know until we see them...and we can't make certain the news coverage isn't off the fires of last year.....they reported 25 homes burnt yesterday at Lake Chelan, Washington these people are literally begging for help from anyone they can get to help. the homeless bum on the street has gone for  men with families instead, dressed clean an neat and holding signs.......for "anything" that can help...and God Bless. 

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 23:38 on 20th August 2015

Accuracy and relevance often come second place to the importance of the News as a 'Show', together with time-wasting fill-ins and visual gimmickry. It is too late to go back to the newsreader with a bow-tie reading from a script in front of a BBC type-A microphone, but as I get older, I sometimes wonder if we really have made any progress.

PS : I have just read that the BBC is not renewing its contract with the Met Office for weather forecasts...apparently the Met Office forecasts are too technical for the target audience! Unfortunately this confirms the BBC policy of dumbing down everything.

See Link to Story in Daily Telegraph 

Edited by: Edward Lever at:25th August 2015 09:16
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 15:40 on 25th August 2015

"Accuracy and relevance often come second place to the importance of the News as a 'Show', together with time-wasting fill-ins".

How right you are Edward...

Please login to post to this thread...