Cardiff

in the county of Glamorgan

Llanberis Waterfall

Llanberis

in the county of Gwynedd

Tutbury, Staffordshire: Tutbury Castle ruins

Tutbury

in the county of Staffordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Maggoty Apples, Pears? The Culprit will be the Codling Moth

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:38 on 1st May 2015

The Codling Moth is the most likely cause of what is often referred to as 'Maggoty Apples and Pears'. The Caterpillar of this insect species will damage the majority, if not all of the fruit on Apple and Pear trees in your garden, if you let them! The Codling Moth is also found in Walnut and Quince, although rare compared to Apple and Pear.

The Caterpillar will bore it's way into the fruit during mid to late Summer and all you see on the outside is a tiny hole with a little pile of excrement. Cut the fruit in half and you will see the tunnel created by the Caterpillar en-route to the core where the white culprit (brown head) can often be found.

Cure the problem of Codling Moth by using Pheromone traps (the pheromone is a scent similar to that produced by virgin females) hung in trees, and/or spraying in the second or third week of June repeated again two or three weeks later. If you get it wrong you will know by the end of September because fruit on every apple and pear tree in your garden will be affected.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 10:58 on 1st May 2015
No problems here Ron as we have no fruit trees --but what we are bothered with is Slugs and Snails they go mad on any plants and can strip a plant down overnight--i have just put 30 Geraniums outside from the greenhouse and topped the pots up with pellets and they arent cheap.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:12 on 1st May 2015

The easy, cheap and environmentally acceptable way to deal with Slugs and Snails James is to save your egg shells throughout the year.

Crush them to something just short of dust and then sprinkle it liberally around the young plants. If you put it down thick enough, they won't crawl over the crushed egg shell.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 23:47 on 9th May 2015

Apricots, Apples, Cherries, Pears are all coming along nicely with Raspberries, Gooseberries and Strawberries (some of which I planted off the ground in hanging baskets this year) are looking equally healthy.

Even the Fig tree is showing good early growth this year so a lot of fruit all round I reckon. Maybe a good year for wine making?

Hmmn, now there's a thought.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:16 on 7th July 2015
Treated the Pear tree for Codling Moth twice during June, which should be enough to deal with it. We shall see...
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:08 on 27th July 2015

So far, so good with the Pears looking okay at the moment.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 22:57 on 8th August 2015

The Pears are looking their very best so it may well be that the treatment worked.

Yippee, I love a nice Pear...

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:08 on 25th August 2015
The Pears are still holding up and looking good. In fact the weight is now bending the branches as they continue to fill out, but so far it looks like the treatment for Codling Moth worked well.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 16:50 on 25th August 2015
My next door neighbour amazes me --they have two Eating Apple trees and they dont even pick em they wait till the lawn is full then they bin them instead of giving them away.Smile
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:39 on 22nd September 2015

The Pears have done very well and there is no sign of the Codling Moth and/or Maggots so the treatment earlier in the year as documented in the posts above has worked very well indeed.