Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

St Michael and All Angel's Church

Hallaton

in the county of Leicestershire

Godshill, Isle of Wight

Godshill

in the county of Isle of Wight

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Nodding Donkeys

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:01 on 9th April 2015

It has just been announced that another huge oil reserve has been found here in the Home Counties, England with the potential to provide billions of barrels of oil, thus nodding donkeys will become more obvious. Good news for the UK as a whole I guess, but it made me wonder...

The oil is currently taking up 'x' space underground, so what happens as it is removed, what fills the void does anybody know? More oil maybe, natural water or do they pump something in to replace the oil? Maybe we are all sat on a big hole after the event?

Anybody know?

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 07:37 on 10th April 2015

Thirty four views of this thread so far and nobody knows, or has an opinion? Nobody cares if the 'nodding donkeys' arrive in a field near you? I doubt that very much!

Your opinion members? 

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 08:52 on 10th April 2015
I dont fancy the nodding donkeys around my area Ron that would be all we need.--we are just getting used to Colliery gear being removed and centurys old chimneys blotting the landscape.Smile
Ken Marshall
Ken Marshall
quotePosted at 10:02 on 10th April 2015

Rocks have an average porosity of about 13 per cent. After oil is pumped out, the rock is unaffected.Oil, gas or water under pressure from the overburden fills the empty pores in the rock as oil is extracted.When a well goes "dry", it has started to produce too much water for economical oil extraction.There is often a lot of oil still to be extracted in old oil fields.

Oil doesn't exist in deep,black pools or underground lakes. An underground oil reservoir looks like any other rock formation.The pores and the oil droplets can only be seen through a microscope.When an oil well strikes an underground oil reservoir, the natural pressure is released and forces the oil through the rock and up the well to the surface.If there are fractures in the underground reservoir the oil squeezes into them .

Edited by: Ken Marshall at:10th April 2015 10:57
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 12:44 on 10th April 2015

Thanks for that explanation Ken - know that it's appreciated.

I honestly had no idea and I would bet that a lot who have been looking in were in a similar position, but felt they had nothing to add. Helloooo, that's what the forums are for, discuss it, ask questions...

All subjects (new threads) keep visitors and members informed with POE benefitting from the number of hits so if you're going to look, you might as well comment, unless you have a particular reason for not doing so of course.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 12:45 on 10th April 2015
Similarly, what happens to the old mines then James, do they fill them in or what?
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 13:24 on 10th April 2015
All the pits have been "capped" the slag heaps have been transformed into parkland and sports grounds.Smile
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:13 on 10th April 2015
Capped, but does that mean they fill them in first James?
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:32 on 10th April 2015
I dont think they are filled in comletely Ron --dont forget they are a fair depth--the local one to me was 750yards deep -i know because i have been down---i think one shaft may still be in use to pump the water out.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:18 on 11th April 2015

What a place to drop the rubbish James! lol

I guess these old pits are 'maintained' still, but surely they remain dangerous areas and are suitably fenced off?