Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Bembridge Windmill (NT)

Bembridge

in the county of Isle of Wight

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Good Day "62"

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 50 Next >

James Prescott
James Prescott
Posted at 16:13 on 1st April 2015
Good Afternoon to all
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Pat Trout
Pat Trout
Posted at 18:27 on 1st April 2015

Good evening, so pleased that your Son has been in touch John

we had a exciting walk today we got surrounded by horses which was scary, they had circled  us, Bern broke of a branch to shoo them away, i just wanted to Run but i couldn't .

rustyruth
rustyruth
Posted at 19:57 on 1st April 2015
Evening everyone. Horses and me don't get on Pat, I don't mind them but they always want to bite me, we have some Shetland ponies in the field opposite the house, they're always ready for a munch if I get to close. Cows and sheep I'm fine with.
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
Posted at 20:52 on 1st April 2015
 Not had too much to do with horses except for one survey job back in 1972, the digs were dire and so was the food but one night a week we got to eat at the bosses pub he stayed at- troble was it involved an hour or two of horse riding first and the sole memory of that is a photo of me wearing bright red loons and a riding hat ( a bit of a mix ) sitting on the horse chosen for me  ( Blossom and a horse with wind )  and there I am sitting back to front Embarassed. It was actually supposed to be part of a riding lesson and turning in the saddle , but surveyors can be so and sos to each other.

editPosted at 22:45 on 1st April 2015

Gee, I like horses...my best friend while going to school, her parents raised an black Arabian horse and they breed them not to far away from me right now also. It was an beautiful animal. My kid's landlady they rent from has horses also, she an world wide/international  horse rider with winning many tropies...or so I've been told. Once trained...you can throw your hands off the reins and they'll take where you need to go...when it comes to mountain hiking paths. They are really good at Wallowa Lake horse trails...in eastern Oregon. But Joanie Johnson,, whom I use to work with she had an terrible expereince...I was in part wanting to laugh and yet cry as she told me her story. She had went out to some farmer's fruit orchard and picked an bunch of apples, had them in boxes in the back seat and in the back of her car, and station wagon...when the farmer's horse came up and wanted some apples...well she had an electric window and started to toll it up, thinking it would back away..it didn't and eventually she got it's lip closed in the window...and it really started going wild then..she was crying and honking her horm trying to get attention and some help and just all chaos broke out....  this poor animal by then was in such pain..stuck...and kicking her car in all over....urinating on it.. She said she was afraid it was going to pass out..but she got the help eventually...this was before cell phones...and the animal was let loose...cared for... and later on she sent an box of carrots out to the farmer for the horse...but she said she probably would never go back there for apples ever again. I kept saying... and then what happened.. and I i'd say...Oh NO!...and in ways it was funny and yet not...but then I could see she was exasperated, Maybe we both were... I hugged her and it was all I could do to keep from crying...she was just bawling her head off by then. It goes to show to be careful around them... and have people that know how to handle them..... if you don't know how to do it....  Come to think of it, I think she gave up making canned applesauce after that also.

In the last 24 hours it's been raining here, hailing, had two lightening strikes...KaBOOM!...sun shine, just about everything  you can imagine weather wise. Yep...it's for sure it's "Spring" now!  I stay inside and indulge in warm soapy bathwater and doing geneaology between epsiodes. I've been following stories of "miracles" in England in my work recently. Particualry with St. Edmund, the Martyder....and the "nine churchs of Stowe" with the ghost that insisted they were going to build this church where it apppeared to be moving all the church building materials nightly where it wanted the church built...so that's where they built it.  If you get the chance buzz on over to.....http://www.mf web.co.uk/kellington-book-ob.pdf ...and take an look. I'm doing some of the keeling family name...and at the very end it gives an history on the name. the church is in St. Edmund, Kellington, England..west Yorkshire. I don' see the link completely highlighted right now either. I traced the name of "cylla"...back to an king out of Wales during King Arthur's time. Wikipedia has an entry under thatname " Cilydd"..lovely story...he loses his wife in childbirth...and before she dies...she makes him promise he won' t remarry unless he see's an briar with two blossoms  on top of her crypt...so he send out an attendent every day  for seven years...and finally gives up....then one day he's hunting and he runs into her crypt...and there on top of it is an briar with two blossoms. At some point later he kills King Doged=Araith Wgon"...or perhaps King Hafgan...from which viking Tosi lived ...the Manor of Hougan...near scarsborough. H'es about 400 more years later...but he dies at the hands of his borther in an batlle. called the called the " Battle of Sterling Bridge" that kind of ends the viking raids on the English coast. within three months six of his mothers son's are killed...the other four died at " Hastings" when William the Conquer came through.  Following Tosi brother...Harold ahead of him in battle. So what's this got to do with the "Keeling" family at married Col. Anthony Lawson supposedly?...well...when some one is maryted...they usually place the reamains in an crypt...and set it on an plaform in an special "Nave" of the church...and below it lies an "keeling" or place where you can kneel to say prayers...the carpenter's called it an "keeling" when they were building the churches...but sometimes they left guards near the area also. Which most often was an templar knight or an.... as said "attendant" of the Lord Manor house. Another such one with miracles was St. Bee's Priory...associated with St. Bega....you gotta be an good person to be around these Saints apparently. And her "knight" turned out to be buried there was Anthoney de Lucy...whose later sister was near by him name Maud de Lacy...the wife's lineage of 1st Baron Nicholas Segrave....thier son nicolas was an soldier and Administator to the Lord of Stowe in Northhampton and 1308 to 1316 he was Lord Marshall of England. That's YOUR story...from England... the best I can piece things together and I'm sticking to it! Winks*...talk to you all later on...that will have to do for your Easter story this year...have an good day.

If you should see an finger or body part of St. Edmund...I think the rest of him is at Winchester Cathederal these days. Its probably been well "divinely" used by now...though there's a saying...when he gets himself " together" the world might come to an end...think his spirit wanders the land looking for himself..or not? 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
Posted at 07:23 on 2nd April 2015

Morning/afternoon wherever you are POEsters.

Why not join us here in the forum and add an interesting comment or two?

Anything goes, well almost!

James Prescott
James Prescott
Posted at 08:46 on 2nd April 2015
Good Morning to all -hope all kids have got plenty Easter EggsSmile
Pat Trout
Pat Trout
Posted at 16:19 on 2nd April 2015

Good afternoon on this very grumpy day, weatherwise, just been in the sad House for an hour [ whetherspoons]  as we had to go up the Town,

Happy Easter to you all 

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
Posted at 20:38 on 2nd April 2015

Good morning...I finshed up my projects last night at 1 am..and ran out of ink and Fiber One Brownie bars...so things come to an halt for the next couple of days. I have to go shopping!...Oh yippee...just what I wanted...sigh....well, it keeps me going daily I guess. Sunny out now, but Easter here, you had better hope the egg hunt is inside this year...maybe hanging off articicial trees with artifical chckens and fuzzy stuff bunny rabbits..cause it's suppose to "pour down" all weekend long. I think hubby was looking like he felt better last night from the eye surgery also. He actually started talking about the carpet replacement on te stairwell coming up. ..he's still using the eye drops though nightly. I best get going for today...have an good one everyone.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
Posted at 06:58 on 3rd April 2015
Hi to all POEsters, so what's your task of this day?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 50 Next >