Sulgrave

in the county of Northamptonshire

Cheltenham

Cheltenham

in the county of Gloucestershire

St Laurence's Church

Reading

in the county of Berkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Electronic Waste Worldwide - Mobile Phones, Televisions, Laptops, Computers and more...

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 Next >

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:32 on 25th January 2015

Your local Council won't permit electronic products, known as dead or dying electronic waste to be disposed of by throwing them in the dustbin, instead you have to take them to a Recycle Centre, or if not what do you do with them? 

Maybe like millions of others you throw your mobile phones in a drawer and forget about them over the years, maybe the television is in the garage out of the way for now, laptops, computers sat in the 'back room' for example?

However in north America, indeed throughout the world electronic waste is a huge problem, a problem that will have serious repercussions for us all, as well as our future generations if we fail to recycle it safely and securely today. I know then that you will all be very pleased to learn of a new web site launched recently that will deal with the problem. A web site that is now available to view, despite last minute checks and testing taking place, so if you are curious take a look at http://www.ewasterecycled.com

So what do you do with your electronic waste members? 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 12:54 on 25th January 2015
Any waste we have had has gone straight to the refuse tip where it is put into the designated skips--Smile
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 13:30 on 25th January 2015

I think that's what may happen currently for many people in the UK James; but I have no doubt at all that legislation will soon be introduced here (the same as in north America) whereby all electronic waste is charged for, such is the damage being done to our planets resources and then of course the web site comes into it's own.

Thanks for your response.

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 19:58 on 25th January 2015

Legislation has been in place since 2003 concerning Waste Electronic and Electrical Equipment i.e. the quaintly named WEEE Directive

In theory, manufacturers should provide facilities to take back WEEE free-of-charge. In practice, this doesn't seem to be very evident, and even though Municipal Recycling Facilities, as James says above, will accept this sort of waste free-of-charge, often the tip is many miles away.  I suspect most people put this waste straight into their landfill bin.

PS  Ron's Website seems like an innovative idea for WEEE collection, although I see that it is not a free service. Also,  it does not seem to work properly in my browser (Google Chrome).

Edited by: Edward Lever at:25th January 2015 20:15
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:32 on 25th January 2015

Hi Edward and thanks for responding.

You are absolutely correct about the WEEE Directive and yes Manufacturers do have an obligation to provide facilities for return of electronic waste.

The web site http://www.ewasterecycled.com is a new concept entirely and currently aimed primarily at north America where as I say they are obliged to pay and/or deliver to Processors and Recycle Centres, unless another Company agrees to collect. The service that I am offering will be rolled out worldwide with renowned couriers USPS making doorstep collections and deliveries. I also happen to think that it will follow that the UK authorities are a lot more strict in the not too distant future.

It's not a free service, but it will be the cheapest way of electronic waste disposal for sure.

Thank you also for mentioning the fact that it didn't load properly in Google Chrome, that said we are still running checks, but it is very helpful to have your comments, thank you.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 22:01 on 25th January 2015
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 22:45 on 27th January 2015

Bumped this thread in case members have missed it.

My thanks to James and Edward thus far...

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:01 on 28th January 2015

You may not be interested now, but the time will come for sure.

17000 members and only two can manage a response, I must be doing something wrong! lol

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 15:22 on 29th January 2015
Another problem is fly tipping which seems to be on the increase--in our local newspaper case are reported regular--one culprit left envelopes in the bags with his name and address on--not heard the outcome yet.Smile
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:55 on 1st February 2015
There is no reason to think that there is a virus threat John, but thank you for mentioning it. Probably over zealous software as the site isn't established yet, however I will certainly mention it to the developers.
1 2 3 4 Next >