Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Llanberis Waterfall

Llanberis

in the county of Gwynedd

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Unprecedented need for food banks here in the UK...yes the UK - is a disgrace!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 07:39 on 8th December 2014

I wonder if politicians worry, or even think about where their next meal is coming from?

To have to resort to 'food banks' here in the UK as some are apparently having to do in the 21st Century is nothing short of disgraceful.

I feel really sorry for those affected and wonder how on earth they are going to survive, so without getting into 'politics' which as you know is now banned here on POE what are your thoughts and do you know of anybody using them, or is it just a convenient way of getting some free goodies?

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 11:43 on 8th December 2014
I've seen people queuing outside the one in Halifax Ron, sadly the people I saw were stood waiting in line smoking and drinking cans of lager. Not a good advert for the needy I fear.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:08 on 8th December 2014
Ruth- i agree with your comments -as a few more will,its a sore point with me -i know  people who go to these places but still go out on the "pop" four times a week--
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 19:23 on 8th December 2014

Is Britain a disgrace? Maybe it is, but to what can we compare it?

I really don't know, and this is not a loaded question anymore than asking is Britain the best country in the world. It suits me, but then I've lived here all my life apart from short holidays and working away, again for short periods. 

If you are at the bottom of society, however that is judged, one is bound to feel very bitter. Things can and should be improved but sadly Utopia was a concept created in the time of Henry VIII, and has never been realised and probably never will.

Thank goodness there are food banks trying to do what the state should be doing. Nobody should go hungry or cold. Sadly I know of no remedy anymore than most reading this.   

Edited by: Rod Burkey at:12th December 2014 13:05
Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 19:33 on 16th December 2014

I think one of the great things about the survival shows of today is getting people to accept that we need to grow something ourselves...if only herbs...and of course the need for an food pantry. Biblically the bible is set up that the more you share...the more comes back to you ...in an reasonable way .Not in the way of an fool.  Growing food items ourselves and sharing food with our neighbors when we have it to give, makes the world an better place....hungry people are most the time unhappy people also. It is not something we should "do" because we have to..but because we want to do it. How little one dozen eggs costs, or an can of soup...or an loaf of bread. This goes back to the earth God gave us, and the earth we have made to suit ourselves...far less adequate...because God through the seasons of the year gave us the food to live on. Harvest for the winter, greens for the Spring...abundance in the summer of growing...and replenishing of animals for meat...and winter to eat the things we stored. But when we chop down the nut trees,  because they dirty up the lawn with their shells...kill the ducks because they are "in the way".. pollute our fish into obilivion...and don' t replentish the ground with fertilizer with roaming animals and seeds...there's nothing there...just the grocery stores and huge farming colgamorates that require money to by their goods. I just gave an homeless guy $5 just an bit ago...it's up to him to use the money wisely. It should buy an case of Top Raman noodles for 30 days. True "giving" costs so very little.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:47 on 17th December 2014

Share the garden produce with your neighbours Shirley - I wouldn't even p@## on them if they were on fire!

For reasons that I can't even imagine my neighbours have sent me to Coventry (meaning don't speak anymore, ignore me) but that's their loss as far as I am concerned and I don't care either if they read it here, in fact hope they do!

I'm guessing that it might be the fact that I am second or third oldest in the Street and I don't conform to their tea drinking, in and out of each others houses every 5 minutes, thus he's a miserable old ba.....d. They'll need to try a lot harder to upset me.

Gud ere innit

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:48 on 17th December 2014
Think I might go see if I can get a food handout to see how I get treated.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 12:25 on 17th December 2014

I think we know the answer to that Ron, you're not going to get anything.

We've got very good neighbours, we keep each other's house keys for emergencies, and have a chat, but thankfully non of them are the in and out of each other's houses kind - I hate that. 

Neil Rodgers
Neil Rodgers
quotePosted at 23:44 on 19th December 2014

If you are down and out, getting out of the gutter in today's world is virtually impossible, so it becomes easier to bumble along at the lower level of life and take what the community has to offer.

Having active charities helps tremendously but the root cause of poverty in many countries has not been addressed, having a tax system in place that taxes people up to the hilt to squander it on assisting people that do not want to work is also wrong, but many when reaching this low level cannot possibly hope to obtain employment when entering this downward spiral

Here in Spain the youth unemployment is around 40% there are ever increasing queues at the employment offices.

The charity that we assist in Malaga Angels of the Night feeds 2500 people per day with breakfast dinner and evening snack. the queue last month when we delivered food was 300 yes long.

The main criteria is to care for the less fortunate in whatever way we can that way at the end of the day we may see some light at the end of the tunnel for the less well off in our society.  

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:26 on 20th December 2014

Agree with what you say Neil but here (certainly in some places) they walk in and out of the food banks with cans of strong beer, or it's left on the wall outside to collect on the way out!

They are laughing at the system and don't want to work anyway.