Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Quizzy 12

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
Posted at 12:09 on 17th February 2015
There was a programme on TV last night about the A303, should have taken more interest !! Seen it before but cannot remember if this was mentioned or not ..
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
rustyruth
rustyruth
Posted at 12:36 on 17th February 2015
I have been there, just didn't recognise the road number, I've been to Ham Hill, there was a lot of Roman activity in this area, part of the A303 was a Roman Road, which is way to early for this quizzy. 
rustyruth
rustyruth
Posted at 13:07 on 17th February 2015

I think I've found something. Dead Mans Plack, a monument to Earl Athelwold of Wherwell, errected in 1825 at Longparish by Lt. Col. William Ironmonger.

It seems Athelwold advised King Edgar in 963 against marrying a woman called Elfreda, then he married her himself, seems like it was a sure way to get yourself murdered. 

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
Posted at 22:06 on 17th February 2015

Spot on Ruth. The A303 is a road close to my heart, it is the way to Cornwall for us although it does all of a sudden become the A30 which in turn ends with a car park for the Land's End complex. I also have driven it extensively in the 70's when on survey and on one job commuting on a weekly basis to RNAD Ernisettle just under the Tamar on the Plymouth side. That needed to get to the digs on the Monday morning for a breakfast and then start work so a lot of early hours driving- that was until the timing belt snapped and the pistons and valves said hello to each other ( and that was only at 22,000 miles ). And that was when the road went through the towns and villages and not around like now.

Sorry, off on one there- well done Ruth and that was something new to me  - it is well hidden.

rustyruth
rustyruth
Posted at 09:42 on 18th February 2015

This was an excellent quizzy Vince. It took me ages to get to the answer and I did that in a very round about way. Something else learnt on POE.

I'm out most of the day I'll think something up and be back later. 

rustyruth
rustyruth
Posted at 17:03 on 18th February 2015

I was born in England in 1901. At the age of 18 I emigrated to New Zealand where in the following 10 years I built up a prosperous business in forestry, mining and property development. This however is not what I'm famous for.

Who am I and what did I achieve that made me famous ? 

rustyruth
rustyruth
Posted at 18:49 on 18th February 2015
Not a problem John, you get thinking about this one now Smile
rustyruth
rustyruth
Posted at 19:48 on 18th February 2015

You're getting as bad as Ken at guessing straight away, I'm going to have make my clues more cryptic in future Smile very well done and over to you.

New thread John, we're on page 50.