Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

The 'Microsoft' scam is back!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:16 on 14th October 2014

Remember the telephone scam where somebody who said they were from Microsoft called saying they would put your PC right? Well it's back, a male speaking poor English called me the day before yesterday and again this morning just before 08:00

The full telephone number shows on the display, but I haven't got all of it yet, was half asleep when they called. It starts with 0203 and ends I think with 528....so 0203***528 need to get the bit in the middle and then go to town on these scamming b......s!

So be warned members, Microsoft will NEVER call you via telephone and any necessary PC fixes can and probably most times are, done automatically.

Don't give the scammers any information whatsoever and certainly DO NOT follow their instructions.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 14:58 on 14th October 2014

I have a great trick too, I don't use Microsoft Smile

I've emailed my Microsoft using friend though Ron, she says thanks. 

Edited by: rustyruth at:14th October 2014 15:09
Ken Marshall
Ken Marshall
quotePosted at 01:28 on 15th October 2014
Scammers have called me six times over the last few years.Last time,I told the caller I don't own a computer and he hung up straight away without saying a word.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 08:58 on 18th October 2014
It amazes me how these chaps say there name is Kenneth--Barry--John i have never known of an Asian with those names.--and yes Ken they put the phone down when you say no computer.Smile
Ken Marshall
Ken Marshall
quotePosted at 00:27 on 21st October 2014
There was a story on the TV news last night about a woman who would not comply with a scammer's instructions.The scammer started swearing and calling the woman names.That's ridiculous.No one should have to listen to abuse from an international caller.
Neil Rodgers
Neil Rodgers
quotePosted at 13:11 on 21st October 2014

Hi POE I have had the Scam said I had no computer worked just fine, then he said well have you a Laptop thats giving trouble, so I asked him give me your number and I will call you back, this is and internet telephone call he said, so I said well I dont own a Laptop either.

Jacob replied sorry to have troubled you.

Thanks everybody for the warnings. 

Edited by: Neil Rodgers at:21st October 2014 20:37
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 22:44 on 21st October 2014

You mustn't assume that calling back on a number provided by the scammer will protect you Neil because all they need to do is keep the line open (meaning they don't put the phone down their end) they record the ring tone, they answer and wham, they have got you because you now think it's genuine!

The answer is certainly to say give me a number to call you back, but then call (if you choose to do so) from a DIFFERENT phone ie mobile, if it was a landline and landline if it was a mobile.

Take care dear friends and always try to be alert.

Note: The lines used by scammers (or anybody else for that matter) will stay 'open' for about two minutes at present (that is from the time you put the phone down) although my understanding is it is to be reduced soon.

Neil Rodgers
Neil Rodgers
quotePosted at 06:22 on 22nd October 2014
Thanks Ron
 Please login to post to this thread...