Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Heage Windmill

Heage

in the county of Derbyshire

Town Street of Beamish Museum

Beamish

in the county of County Durham

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Ello, Ello, Ello Whats This Then, No Road Fund Licence!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 23:05 on 27th October 2014

In place of the tax disc, some have mooted the idea of medical/ contact information for the emergency services in case of an accident. Obviously, this wouldn't be readable from outside the vehicle.

might be an idea that could work?  

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 22:38 on 5th November 2014
On 6th October 2014 04:50, Paul Hilton wrote:

>>>> It was reported recently that there's some 500,000 ANPR cameras >>>>

It is clear that these cameras were in place long before the changes to the Tax Disc payment system were introduced. Whether you like it or not, Big Brother knows exactly where your car is, at any time of the day or night. The usual excuse for surveillance is that if you are being a good boy (or girl) there is no reason to fear the Government's motives. How did 500,000 ANPR cameras get rolled out without a murmur from the public ? George Orwell told us about it years ago. We generally assume that the State is benevolent. But as technology progresses, surveillance of every sort increases, and such is the price of freedom.

Edited by: Edward Lever at:6th November 2014 07:11
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 08:28 on 7th November 2014

I think the figure of 500,000 looks excessive and I'd be surprised if it's correct.

the tax refund took two weeks but---- I'd taxed my car at the 6 month rate but they refunded it at the 12 month rate keeping £11 for calculating it this way. Should have received £121 actually paid but check arrived for £110. They'd untaxed the car from the day of transfer to the new owner, so total earned by DVLA for transferring a car and tax refund at yearly rate--- £22 and odd pennies.  

According to the RAC, in 2012 the government received £24.8 billion in fuel duty ( no mention of the VAT also on it as they do tax the tax), and £5.9 billion in vehicle road tax duty.   How about a figure for how much they earn simply because a vehicle gets a new owner, as above ? 

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:7th November 2014 08:43
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:30 on 7th November 2014
The equivalent of Government scammers Paul!
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 09:43 on 7th November 2014

Looking at your refund issue, Paul, you can be sure that the dice will always be loaded in the Government's favour.

As regards camera numbers, the figure of half a million may not be wrong, simply because every parking enforcement camera and bus lane camera  in every town and city in the UK has ANPR, which is no doubt feeding information back to DVLA.

Please login to post to this thread...