Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

In the region of Fort Victoria.

Cowes

in the county of Isle of Wight

Harden Waterfall, Harden, West Yorkshire

Harden

in the county of West Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Ello, Ello, Ello Whats This Then, No Road Fund Licence!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:25 on 1st October 2014

From today (01/10/2104) you no longer need to display a road fund licence on your vehicle.

That's not to say you don't have to pay for the pleasure of driving on our often crowded roads, you do, but those clever people at the DVLA have worked out a way of 'tracking' every vehicle from space via ANPR.

Yes, a quick signal to a satellite and back to the office and you're nicked. A letter in the post makes it easy for them to collect revenue from those who refuse to pay. They can check your MOT Certificate and Insurance also.

By the way, if you happen to have a few of the early Tax discs laying around the house, some are worth a fortune. Check it out before you bin it!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 17:32 on 1st October 2014

There was a chap on the radio a couple of weeks ago Ron who owned every one apart from a couple of very early ones. I forget the official name for the collection, but it was worth a small fortune.

The MOT certicate isn't any more either, just a scrap of cheap paper that's no more than a receipt. 

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 17:41 on 1st October 2014

There was a young lad on our local radio last week, he has about 12,000 of them and I think the radiostation were trying to get as many in to add to his list. He said his 1926 one is one of his favourites and the collection is worth about £10,000. He is mad about cars and also collected hubcaps and not to forget the fact he also won a Trabant in a competition. 

VELOLOGY is the name of a tax disc collecting

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 18:11 on 1st October 2014

I hope he's collecting the hub caps and not nicking them Smile

I've seen Trabants on the autobahn in Germany - frightening. 

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:41 on 1st October 2014
I wonder what we can put in the left hand windscreen corner now--any suggestions it wont look  the same without a disc.Smile
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 20:39 on 1st October 2014
 How about a sticker promoting POE?
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:40 on 1st October 2014

I've got my RNLI member badge to take the place of the tax disc, it's round too Smile

And it's not as expensive each year. 

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 04:50 on 6th October 2014

All I got from DVLA a few days ago was a receipt number. I've noticed this week very few people bothering to remove their tax disc. It was reported recently that there's some 500,000 ANPR cameras and they typically mis-read some 1.2 million number plates per day.

when you sell a car now, you won't be able to transfer any tax remaining to the new owner.. As you can only get a refund for full months, DVLA should do nicely as for one month, a sold car will be taxed twice effectively. 

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 04:59 on 6th October 2014
The oldest tax disc I have is from a 1957 Ford. The amount on it isn't very much. My old 1939 Austin still has its original log book amongst its papers which also includes the paperwork from Huddersfield when it's number plate was originally issued in April 1939 the records people in Wakefield kindly sent me. 
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 22:58 on 27th October 2014

My car changed hands mid October and I see on DVLA, the car was untaxed from the day it changed hands, albeit of course, they have the money from me for all of October which won't be refunded. Should the new owner wish to use the car right away, which he didn't, DVLA would have received £22+ twice for the same month. As the car is off the road, they received £11 balance of the month for nothing.

they say they won't make much out of this double taxation situation, but how many taxed used cars change hands every month in the UK?

They're quick to take the money when you tax the car, but seem a bit less quick to refund the balance months due. It's been nearly 2 weeks now waiting for the 5 months refund to arrive. We'll see just how long it takes to give it back?  

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:27th October 2014 22:58