Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Marple Marina, Junction of the Macclesfield and Peak Forrest Canals, Marple, Greater Manchester.

Marple

in the county of Greater Manchester

Blakeney Church

Blakeney

a Seaside Town in the county of Norfolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Ebola Virus - should we be worried?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:19 on 6th August 2014

It's interesting and of great concern to me that UKIP voters think that the Ebola virus will spread to the UK from West Africa. It appears to have a 98% death rate attached to it!

I wonder why it's being taken seriously by UKIP yet nobody else appears to be concerned? Or have you seen something, read something, heard  a statement that contradicts this?

With modern day contact from one side of the world to the other in 36 hours maximum and food imported from every country on the planet, why shouldn't this virus get here. More importantly, what is the Government doing, or what has it done to protect us?

As a minimum I guess it's down to personal cleanliness making sure you wash your hands properly and regularly, especially after visiting public places such as supermarkets. Further, always, but always wash fruit and vegetables efficiently, rather than say take an apple from the fruit bowl, rub it on your shirt front and chomp!

What say you members, are you concerned?

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 10:49 on 6th August 2014
As I understand it, Ebola is thought to have been spread to humans by people eating 'Bush Meat' such as giant bats and monkeys. Unless your diet includes these delicacies, you are probably fairly safe. The average produce at Tesco or Waitrose is unlikely to give you Ebola. Infection by contact with a sufferer is probably more likely, but the rapid death which occurs with Ebola means that there is a very short 'window' when infection can occur. Until recently, outbreaks were very localised. Air travel is an obvious risk factor, and I would hope that anyone coming in from an Ebola area would be closely monitored.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 12:05 on 6th August 2014

It wasn't very long ago Edward that I watched a television programme where Customs were seizing monkey and other meats at the airports that travellers were trying to smuggle in suitcases!

You would think that the W.H.O would make a comment over Ebola wouldn't you? Have they, has anybody seen/heard anything?

And as for the supermarkets considered to be 'safe and responsible' it was only during the last few days, that again I watched a television programme where Naan Bread supplied to them was repacked after being dropped on the manufacturing floor, so who can you trust if the manufacturers cover it up?

Richard Sellers
Richard Sellers
quotePosted at 13:58 on 6th August 2014

Having grown up in Atlanta (where the CDC is) i am amazed that we are not in more serious trouble, although, the two patients (doctors who were helping in Africa) were givin an experimental drug only tried on monkeys , they are the two first humans to get this drug, are showing signs of much improvement, as i understand it, it is only spread thru human to human contact, body fluids .

I am a bit disturbed to see Rons last post on what is being smuggled into suitcases !!!!!, we need even more screening at the airports !!  

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 14:38 on 6th August 2014
The Hygiene regulations have been igored for many years now compared to what my generation had to contend with in the food trade.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 14:50 on 6th August 2014
I'm sure I remember a big Ebola scare several years ago. There was a TV programme about how it spread to humans from monkeys. The symptoms were frightening. I heard on the BBC news on the radio a couple of days ago, that someone in this country (can't remember who) is confidant that if it spreads here it can be contained and treated with the medicines we have available. How true that is remains to be seen.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:50 on 7th August 2014
A nasty virus for sure John. Thanks for the explanation and like you I will give the pie a miss.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 18:53 on 7th August 2014
I'll just give Africa a miss, once was one to many a visit for me. 
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:55 on 7th August 2014

I always said the very best fruit comes from South Africa (I know Ebola is West but...) even that bothers me now.

We wash everything!

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:36 on 7th August 2014
We were in West Africa Ron, I hated it. I didn't trust the food and I got bitten to bits. Everywhere outside the hotel complex was filthy. Having seen the living conditions I'm not surprised diseases spread like wildfire. The women tried their best but sadly the men seemed to be content sitting staring into space letting the world fall apart around them, and it did.