Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

River Wharfe and Weir, Otley, West Yorkshire

Otley

in the county of West Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

During 2013/14 in the UK

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:22 on 16th April 2014

According to the television news this morning 900,000 food parcels were given out in the UK!

Poverty and lack of food here in the UK is resulting in people being admitted to hospital for treatment. What a b....y disgrace David Cameron and oh, yes we are of course all in this together!

There are no doubt some who abuse the food parcel idea, but the very fact that it has to exist at all in modern day Britain is just unbelievable and totally unacceptable.

What say you members? 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ken Marshall
Ken Marshall
quotePosted at 09:07 on 16th April 2014

The poor should be helped.It's a worldwide problem unfortunately. In Australia , there are 2,500 welfare agencies and churches handing out food parcels. The wages some people on low wages take home aren't enough to cover all the costs of living.Ten percent of the population is living below the povery line.Charities are feeding the homeless.Graziers are living on pasta because they spend all their money buying stock feed to keep their cattle and sheep alive during the long drought.

In the USA, 46,542,005 people received food assistance in the form of food stamps in January 2014.There are hundreds of large food banks handing out food parcels thoughout the US.

Edited by: Ken Marshall at:16th April 2014 10:25
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 17:40 on 16th April 2014

I saw six people queuing outside the food bank operating from a church in Halifax a couple of weeks ago. Three men who looked like heroin addicts (and believe me I know what one looks like) all three smoking, and all three holding a can of beer. Three women also in the queue, all three smoking. How much is a package of cigarettes ? At least £5, I can get quite a bit of shopping in Tesco for £5 if I shop around. 

There will be the genuine cases out there, but these 6 did nothing to get any sympathy from me. 

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 18:15 on 16th April 2014

Yes Ruth i have also seen this--we know a lot of people are struggling  but if they spent their benefits on the things they were meant to be spent on there would be no need for food banks.--i know a few who are on benfits and so they should be but i never see them coming out of pubs and betting shops like a lot of people i know.

Ken Marshall
Ken Marshall
quotePosted at 02:10 on 17th April 2014
The Trussell Trust attributed the rise in food poverty in the UK to static incomes, rising living costs, low pay, underemployment and delays in receiving welfare benefits, or changes to welfare payments.
Neil Rodgers
Neil Rodgers
quotePosted at 23:35 on 19th April 2014

Hi everyone it's a sad state of affairs when poeple have to rely on food hand outs it's just the same here in Spain the Charity that we support Angels of the Night prepare on a daily basis 2000 meals per day to hand out to the people who have nothing.

We have just had a request for aid in Africa a place on the edge of the Sahara desert to assist children they need 2000 euros per year to run the centre, I suppose each Lodge will chip in 80 Euros that should be sufficient.

I will let you know if it gets approval next week. 

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 01:39 on 20th April 2014

Everyone should be growing an garden, if not for them, then some of the people that need food..same for chickens and small animals...we will suffer worldwide until our population learns to mend for itself in growing it's food and raising it's food sources itself. This time around it's going to have to entail things like weather modification techniques to get over those problems also. Maybe huge indoor grreenhouse growing? Putting on an bubble wrap type plastic eenviromental dome over these small back yards...with hanging shelving that can be motorized and brought down to tend to plants, and raisd back up in the air for extra space in an backyard setting?  the dome could also over winter an garden with several growing seasons... with some heating lamps. My farmer uncle and I went around over this namy years ago, as I was raised garden growing back then. I told him then he ought to try it, corn on the hills and down in the rows between....root crops.  In order to hang on to his farm, he went into trucking as an side line between planting and harvesting season. With an greenhouse he could probably do an third seasonal crop of something. 

Please login to post to this thread...