Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Southbourne Cliffs, Dorset

Southbourne

in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Please consider the 'sell factor' to help POE

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 18:47 on 25th January 2014
I've just looked Dave, it does all the thinking and processing for me Smile
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 20:14 on 25th January 2014

In reply to Dave's question about buying an image and then altering it-- that would come under derivative works and is still your image no matter how much they mess around with it.

I recently found one of my images with Shirley McClaine added to it and another converted to black and white and a border added around the portion they used, making up a website banner-- and in both cases neither asked to use my image,and despite their messing about with it, its still my copywrite on my photos, as a "derivative work". Oh... And another deleted the sky in one to add text to it instead to make it into an advertising image. 

indeed, I've also recently found over 45 websites using one of my images in various ways, and 1) none of them has asked me first, and 2) none have given the image any credit for whose it is, or where they found it. 

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:21 on 25th January 2014

That's cleared up a point Paul, thanks.

I find it dispicable that people just take images without asking, or giving credit to the owner. I've just been asked by a University in the US (MIT) if they can use one of my images in an upcoming book. I will get credited as the owner of the picture, and a copy of the book when it's published. That's the correct way to go about things.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:22 on 25th January 2014
On 25th January 2014 20:14, Paul Hilton wrote:

In reply to Dave's question about buying an image and then altering it-- that would come under derivative works and is still your image no matter how much they mess around with it.

I recently found one of my images with Shirley McClaine added to it and another converted to black and white and a border added around the portion they used, making up a website banner-- and in both cases neither asked to use my image,and despite their messing about with it, its still my copywrite on my photos, as a "derivative work". Oh... And another deleted the sky in one to add text to it instead to make it into an advertising image. 

indeed, I've also recently found over 45 websites using one of my images in various ways, and 1) none of them has asked me first, and 2) none have given the image any credit for whose it is, or where they found it. 

Thanks for the clarification on that one Paul, something along those lines was in the back of my mind but not totally sure. And to controlling the use of photos off the site , there is a way to disable the 'right click save as' option but ofcourse that is a bit more programming for the already overburdened Chris and Sarah, but another suggestion for consideration
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:04 on 25th January 2014

Interesting comments thrpoughout, but Dave is correct in that POE isn't a photo agency. The selling of the images, your images is specifically to generate funds to support the site.

Suggestion noted Dave.

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 21:10 on 25th January 2014
On 25th January 2014 20:22, Dave John wrote:
 there is a way to disable the 'right click save as' option but ofcourse that is a bit more programming for the already overburdened Chris and Sarah, but another suggestion for consideration

Disabling the right click option does not prevent downloading of the image by the technically savvy. As soon as the image is viewed, it is saved in the browser cache and can be easily extracted from that location.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:12 on 25th January 2014

Another point noted, thanks Edward.

A lot to think about in this 'funny ole game' eh? lol

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:17 on 25th January 2014
On 25th January 2014 21:10, Edward Lever wrote:
On 25th January 2014 20:22, Dave John wrote:
 there is a way to disable the 'right click save as' option but ofcourse that is a bit more programming for the already overburdened Chris and Sarah, but another suggestion for consideration

Disabling the right click option does not prevent downloading of the image by the technically savvy. As soon as the image is viewed, it is saved in the browser cache and can be easily extracted from that location.
Thanks for the confirmation on that Edward, have to say I had not considered that. And there is ofcourse also the 'screen dump' and copy from there but that would produce a very small copy of the image.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 21:24 on 25th January 2014
On 25th January 2014 20:14, Paul Hilton wrote:

I agree with you, Paul, that copyright still exists in derived images.

I have been happy to allow manipulation of some of my images provided proper acknowledgement is given. Unfortunately, as you say, not everybody will ask permission.

All I can say is that imitation is said to be the sincerest form of flattery, so with over 45 websites making use of one of your images, it is a tribute to your work, but acknowledgement and/or payment would be much nicer I'm sure.

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 23:11 on 25th January 2014

Maybe I should feel flattered Edward, even more so if you knew some of the sites using this one picture.  But, these people have done me a favour as well by giving me an idea of what people are looking for. So, if someone wanted to know what sort of pictures should  I take which would be suitable on Poe too, of course?  Here's what these people around the world have essentially told me without realising it......

1) you can only take a photo of your subject in England.

2) it is well known internationally and when people think of it, they think of England,

3) it's some thing of place people want to come and see for themselves.

4)  pay attention to the sky and the lighting effect.

5) do an image search and see how many others have taken it too.

6) if many have, then think of a way to make yours better or from a new perspective of it....be original and don't copy what others have done.

7)  take it from a highway or pavement. i.e. not on private property.

8) an area that has become weill known internationally because a TV series or major film used it, 

There's other things people have unwittlingly told me what they are looking for, but the above might give you an idea if you're out and taking photos somewhere, or an idea of where you might like to go.