Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

British recipes thread.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Jackie123
Jackie123
quotePosted at 14:52 on 26th April 2013

l thought l'd start a thread where we can post all in one place old British recipes we may have tried and tested. l have quite a few lv tried now so will post them when l can.

Wood Stanway old fashioned Bread Pud(recipe fromThe Cotswod Country CookBook 

l lb stale bread,6 oz mixed dried fruit,4 oz sugar, 2 tesp mixed spice,4 oz suet, 2 eggs beaten

soak torn up bread in hot water forl hr then.squeeze out till nearly dry. Then mix in everything else..it wil be quite wet. then grease a meat tin & put in mixture. Cook approx 1 1/2- 2 hrs in slow oven(gas3 or 335F) till nicely browned on top.We like it with a little nutmeg and sugar sprinked on top.Eat hot or cold

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Jackie123
Jackie123
quotePosted at 15:06 on 26th April 2013

Gloucesterhire pie

This is a very old recipe that used to be made in different parts of England using pigeon(not nice lol) but in Gloucester they used lamb, which lv tried out and its quite nice. Heres the recipe.

l lb sliced cooked lamb,l lb sliced oinion, l lb sliced cooking apples,pinch rosemary, 1/2 pt rich gravy,l/2 lb cooked potatoes and 1/2 lb cooked swede,both mixed together. l just used l lb mash potatoes as we dont like swede.

oven gas 5(375F) cook the apples and onions for 5 mins in the gravy.then layer the meat with the apple/onion mixture with the rosemary.Top with the mash....Bake approx l hr till lightly browned.Serve with a green vegetable. Serves 4

Cathy E.
Cathy E.
quotePosted at 17:19 on 27th April 2013

Hi Jackie! Great thread!

I don't have any recipes to share but I need some recipes for any type of English candy, tradional or otherwise.

I have a function to attend on May 2nd and need to bring candy for all my British friends here to sell. We are having a St. Stephen fair which should be lots of fun. Smile

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 21:11 on 27th April 2013

Oh! I think you can find someone here to help, Cathy.

You could look up English Toffee on Cooks.com. That's always a hit. 

Maybe a nice English Gingerbread. My mum made the best Gingerbread, made with Marmalade.  Don't use the American stuff, its way too sweet.

I can't taste anything at the moment, but the minute this is all over and I have taste buds, I'll be hitting the English food BIG time.

You're May 2nd get-together sounds wonderful. I can't wait to hear all about it.  

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 21:33 on 27th April 2013
A while back while sorting out some old boxes in the loft i came across an old Recipe book --the older members on this site may remeber the "bero" which contains scores of old Recipes,would it be worth putting it on thread.Smile
Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 21:44 on 27th April 2013

Cathie..here's what I found in an old weight watcher's program book...kind of like candy in ways..each gum drop triangle is 30 calories....and what they show is other flavors of gelatin used to make them such as cherry, lemon, orange, and strawberry...and when you cut them into thin triangles...you fan them out on an plate with all the flavors and colors to complment each other...with the points  tipped out from the center ot the dish... and add in the center some fresh mint and rapspberries...and maybe some wax paper squares to wrap them up in for easietr handling if your going to sell them

.... Here is the receipe....

1 envelope (eight 1/2 cup servings) raspberry flavored gelatin...1 envelope (eight 1/2 cup servings) low calorie raspberry flavored gelatin....1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water.....1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon surgar.

Spray 8 x 4 x 2 pan with nonstick spray coating, set aside...In small saucepan combine gelatin with water to dissolve, stiring constantly bring to an boil...reduce heat and string 2 to 3 minutes more , pour into pan and let cool. Cover an let set with plastic wrap to set atleast one hour in refrigerator Cut the gelatin into 8 rectangles..and divide them diagonally in half...forming 16 triangles...transfer "gum drops"into plastic bag, add sugar and shake to coat.

About the best I can do in the other thread I left an historic receipe for an cookie/buscuit...this is the best I can do for an candy so far.

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 21:59 on 27th April 2013

Cathy here's a couple of really easy ones and always popular.

PEPPERMINT CREAMS

1lb icing sugar, 1 tsp. lemon juice, 1 egg white, peppermint essence, green colouring (optional).

Sift the sugar and add the lemon juice and enough slightly beaten egg white to make a pliable mixture.  Flavour with peppermint essence (just a drop or two!).  Divide into two lots and lightly colour one of the heaps pale green.  Knead the mixture on a board dusted with icing sugar, roll out and cut into rounds about the size of a penny, or form into balls and flatten with a rolling pin. Leave for 24 hours to set and dry.  Makes about 1lb.   (I quite like to dip half of each peppermint cream in melted chocolate for something a little special!)

CHOCOLATE CRISPIES

Cut up 4 oz. plain chocolate and melt in a basin over hot water.  When it has just melted, stir in 2 oz. cornflakes (or any similar breakfast cereal!) and spoon the mixture in heaps on a sheet of greaseproof paper; allow to set.  Makes about 6 oz. (These can also be spooned into small cookie paper cups) 

COCONUT ICE

1lb granulated sugar, 1/4 pint milk, 5 oz. desiccated coconut, colouring.

Oil or butter a tin 8 x 6 inches.  Dissolve the sugar in the milk over a low heat. Bring to the boil and boil gently for about 10 minutes, or until a temperature of 240oF is reached. Remove from the heat and stir in the coconut.  Pour half the mixture quickly into the tin.  Colour the second half (usually soft pink) and pour quickly over the first layer.  Leave until half-set, mark into bars and cut or break when cold.  Makes about 11/4lb.

Hope that helps.  Let me know if you need more! 

Cathy E.
Cathy E.
quotePosted at 00:14 on 28th April 2013

WOW, thanks everyone. This is a great help. I made a mistake, the event is actually on the 4th. Thank goodness because I have a class on the 2nd! LOL

These recipes all sound so delicious. A friend in the group made some pink sugar mice and they look fantastic! They are so adorable.

Thanks Sue. I will look that up. I wish my taste buds would go so I wouldn't want the sugar anymore! Undecided

James, it would be lovely to share those recipes. I didn't think to check my grandmother's old cookbook.

Shirley and Cathy, thanks so much. Those recipes make my mouth water! Smile

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 06:50 on 28th April 2013

Don' tknow if you would consider this one strickly English or not but I can't find an English toffee receipe right now and this one looked easy to make....Choclolate-peanut butter puffs

1 package (6 ozs.) semisweet chocolate chips

1 cup peanut butter chips

1/2 cup coarsley chopped peanuts

30 regular sized masrshmellows

In medium microwave-safe bowl..combine chocolate chips and peanut butter chips..microwave at 80 per cent power for 2 minutes or until smooth..stir in peanuts. Drop about 4 marshmellows in at a time and cover them  completely with the chocolate mixture...Place coated marshmellows on waxed paper on top of an baking sheet, chill until chocolate hardens...make 1-1/2 doz. pieces of candy.

Jackie123
Jackie123
quotePosted at 11:03 on 28th April 2013

James that cookbook might be quite old so worth holding on too.Does it have a date on it? l wonder does it have a Victoria Sponge cake recipe in there. Would like to see that recipe from thst book if it does

l went on to the be-ro website and it has quite a interesting history, worth looking at, Just scroll down the page lv linked and click on 'about'... They have produced their 41st cook book which lm going to send off for as well, l thought ld put the link here case anyone else is interested.

http://www.be-ro.co.uk/

I've made the link clickable now Jackie! 

Edited by: cathyml at:28th April 2013 14:42