Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Bardney

Bardney

in the county of Lincolnshire

Epping, Essex

Epping

in the county of Essex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Threat from the big boys over the name 'The Hobbit' for a pub, but could Stella get away with it?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:10 on 13th March 2012

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-17350103

Honestly, who is it hurting and what profit might it be eating into?

Here in Oxford a man who studied law at one of our famous Colleges was told not to use a particular name, as is the case with this pub it seems. What he did was to say simply 'Not the'...so the name of the pub might now read 'Not the' Hobbit. Just to qualify, the words 'Not the' might be positioned at an angle of about 20 degrees across the front of the 'H' of Hobbit and in the case of the particular person that I have in mind, he got away with it!

If nothing else Stella all of the POE members will now know about your pub, so that can't be bad can it?

Good luck Stella if you choose to try it on!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 20:21 on 13th March 2012

I read this article this morning.

It disgusts me!

These big, rich companies can just walk all over the little guy. 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:08 on 13th March 2012

Things like this infuriate me. Pity these large conglomerates can't find better things to do. Their legal departments ought to get out more and get a life. If this goes through it could spell disaster for all sorts of businesses with similar themed names. I can think of loads as I'm sure everyone else here can. There is a great little pub in Whitby named after 'something' in The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. I'm sure Tolkein would not object to his iconic masterpieces being used. After all what better publicity could he get. There are enough small businesses going to the wall without these a****oles playing big brother. They ought to be embracing and helping not condemning. Am I allowed to say big brother......or will I be incarserated for inferring that George Orwell could be involved ! ! !

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 02:47 on 14th March 2012
Name it " The Purple Hobbit" and see if they give such an bad time to that name...but your correct, some people do anything to make trouble for others..just because they can....hum. I've been though this before with our freinds that owned an restruant and the naming of it...it can get pretty sticky if it's an very common name.
Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 02:50 on 14th March 2012
She could maybe call it.."Oh-forget it"...I can imagine by now that's how she feels.
 Please login to post to this thread...