Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Dittisham in Devon

Dittisham

in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Nimrod Inquest in Oxford - Gordon Brown could make a difference, but will he?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 19:31 on 27th May 2009

heres some 'boys toys' (and girls) to look at, i'm off to watch the match byeeee

http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/recandmarpataircraft.cfm

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Richard Sellers
Richard Sellers
quotePosted at 19:37 on 27th May 2009
C ya !!!
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 09:11 on 28th May 2009

The Nimrod MR1 entered service in 1969 and was upgraded to MR2 standard in the late 1970s. While the flight deck and general systems remained the same, the Mission System was given a significant upgrade. The Nimrod is the only jet powered maritime patrol aircraft in military service and offers the advantages of speed and height in transit, while still capable of operating for long on-task periods.

The Nimrod is used in four main roles: Anti Submarine Warfare (ASW), Anti-Surface-Unit Warfare (ASUW), Intelligence and Communications Support and Search and Rescue (SAR). The operating crew comprises two pilots and a flight engineer, two weapon systems officers (WSO) (tactical and routine), and a WSO who is the sensor and communications coordinator. He is, in turn, supported by a team of two ‘wet’ weapon systems operators (WSOps) and four ‘dry’ WSOps. The ‘wet’ team supervise the aircraft’s acoustic processors, which monitor active and passive sonobuoys, whilst the ‘dry’ team manage a range of radar and non-acoustic sensors, all of which are essential to delivering Nimrod’s full capability. The aircraft can carry in excess of 200 sonobuoys internally, of several different types, both active and passive, which are delivered via two unpressurised 6-buoy rotary launchers and two pressurised singleshot launchers. The Nimrod’s offensive weapons include Sting Ray torpedoes for use in the ASW and ASUW role and for self-defence the aircraft is fitted with Defensive Aids systems and may be armed with four wing-mounted Sidewinder air-to-air missiles. For SAR purposes the aircraft has a selection of air deliverable, multi-seat dinghies and survival packs.

The majority of the Nimrod’s tasking comes from the UK Maritime Air Ops Centre at the Joint Northwood HQ. Peacetime work includes worldwide surface and sub-surface surveillance and the maintenance of a permanent standby for UK and overseas operations or SAR in support of the Aeronautical Rescue Coordination Centre, collocated at RAF Kinloss. SAR tasks include long-range search and shepherd, assistance to SAR helicopters and coordination of search activities as the On-Scene Commander at major incidents. The aircraft routinely operates over the sea down to 200 feet, but is limited to 300 feet at night or in bad weather.

The Nimrod MR2 has also provided a continual presence in the Middle East since late 2001. In that time, employment of the aircraft has evolved to take on an additional range of non-traditional tasks, including overland Electro-Optic IMINT (Image Intelligence) surveillance of Iraq and Afghanistan, and IMINT and communications support to coalition ground troops. The Nimrod MR2 will continue in service until it is replaced by the MRA4, which is expected to enter service around 2011.

Aircraft recognition - Nimrod MR2

Compare aircraft:

You can compare up to six aircraft at once.

No aircraft saved

Compare aircraft

Strategy

If you would like to see the full Royal Air Force Strategy please download the following pdf document. The strategy is still current.

RAF Strategy

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 13:05 on 28th October 2009

Inquiry into 'Nimrod crash' in which 14 servicemen died, finds crash was preventable! We cannot bring those servicemen back, but MOD at least now take responsibilty for it and pay appropriate damages to the families.

I wonder if any specific person or persons will be held responsible, I doubt it! 

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 14:22 on 28th October 2009

The MOD has always been a faceless monster Ron, too many self satisfed office types looking after their civil service pensions. I remember after coming out of the RAF in the mid 70's after 5 years service, they gave me no help what-so-ever trying to find a home for myself and my ex WRAF wife, when we gave up our married quarters. Had to stay at my parents till we found one ourselves. Even now, in my 60's I had to give up my job recently, due to ill health, I applied for benefit (£56 per week) to help me until my state pension kicks in three years time, they sent me for an assesment  for work medical, then refused my claim for benefit.

I sent for a copy of the assessment and believe it or not the reason they stated was I was fit for work because 'he could adjust his specticles with both his right and his left hand and could get out of his chair without assistance, he maintained eye contact with the assessor'.

I have never been so humiliated so I'll soldier on without their charity thanks, I've still got my pride. lol  Frown

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 19:02 on 28th October 2009
just heard about the outcome of the Nimrod report, not good news I'm afraid. up here in the north west is where most of the British military have always been designed and built. we are proud of our engineering record but it appears cost cutting by the MOD (now where have I heard that recently?), has once again been the cause of the deaths of our fighting forces. no light at the end of the tunnel I'm afraid if David Cameron gets elected, he has warned of even furthur cuts in public spending.Frown
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 12:09 on 29th October 2009
I think the MOD will have to compensate those families concerned and it will probably cost us the taxpayer and/or the MOD some £250 million by the time they are through, so why didn't they spend the money on updating the aircraft? False economy no less!
 Please login to post to this thread...