Kilpeck

in the county of Herefordshire

Banks Arms, Studland

Studland

in the county of Dorset

Ford Village, Northumberland.

Ford

in the county of Northumberland

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Who Sang?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
Posted at 18:48 on 5th May 2008
Ah don't worry, I'll soon have you all thinking/writing my way and then we'll need a translator to translate what we all say! Does that make any sense? Maybe not, but hey two glasses of weak wine and I'm anybody's....hic!
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
Posted at 15:33 on 7th May 2008

From a posting a bit back--I Knew The Bride When She Used To Rock & Roll. I'd say it was Dave Edmunds.

A posting further back---ref: Marc Bolan.  His made up surname was from which music idol of his?  While you ponder that---i have a recording of a group playing in Germany called The Beat Brothers backing Tony Sheridan. Who were they better known as?

Pink Floyd is named after 2 blues guitarists. Which ones?

Which year did Jimi Hendrix perform in Newbury, Berkshire?

Who took the micky out of The Shadows, recording "Cry For A Shadow"?

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
Posted at 16:10 on 7th May 2008
Hello Paul, I don't think I've ever welcomed you...Welcome!  I lOVE your avatar! What a great pic.  Unfortunately, I am not a Pink Floyd or a Jimi Hendrix fan so I can't even harbor a guess.  I don't even know what "micky out of The Shadows" meansEmbarassed  must be before my time. LOL!
Paul Hilton
Posted at 17:39 on 7th May 2008

Hi Diana, and thank you for your welcome. Apologies for Cockney rhyming slang accidentally appearing in one of my questions. In full---taking the mickey bliss---means to mock someone; in this case, a style of guitar sound of Hank Marvin and The Shadows who backed Cliff Richard, similar band to The Ventures or Tornadoes in the US a bit later on.

I've only heard the song Diana by it's original writer/performer, Paul Anka. Not to give my age away, but it made No.1 in the UK charts in 1957--though I was very young, though heard it on US radio stations at the time.

The 2 blues guitarists were Americans, as the US blues was having a big influence in early--mid '60s pop music here when Pink Floyd, and other bands, were formed.

Glad you liked my avatar. Paul.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
Posted at 18:50 on 7th May 2008
Interesting stuff Paul and genuinely well done! Thinks....weve got a smart a...here!
L
L
Posted at 19:44 on 7th May 2008
On 7th May 2008 16:10, Diana Sinclair wrote:
Hello Paul, I don't think I've ever welcomed you...Welcome! I lOVE your avatar! 
Ummm what avatar Diana?? Its a chessman showing here lol boringgggg Wink
Paul Hilton
Posted at 20:08 on 7th May 2008
It'll be amended--by popular demand it seems--as soon as I can get rid of my little squirrel who seems quite persistant he doesn't want to go!
L
L
Posted at 20:41 on 7th May 2008

He will go eventually Paul, feed him some nuts and send him on his way LOL

By the way Ron! Gerry and the Pacemakers is spell with a 'G' not a 'J' ....so no brownie point for you LOL

editPosted at 23:25 on 7th May 2008
SmileOn 5th May 2008 14:13, Diana Sinclair wrote:
On 2nd May 2008 23:12, Sue Gaffney-Ryder wrote:
Richard Harris sang the first version that I ever heard, Diana....a fabulous song!

Sue gets the brownie points!  Yes it is a great song but I only like the version done by Richard Harris. It's interesting though that I can't find that version anywhere, not even on i-TunesFrown
Diana, do you mean you would like to hear the song? If so I think you should try youTube...all you do is key in the song title andup comes loads of choices. I have only just discoverd this and have been listening to fab songs from many moons ago in the 60s, 70s and 80s that I hadn't heard for donkeys years!Smile
Paul Hilton
Posted at 08:40 on 8th May 2008

The answers to my questions--so don't read if you're still working them out!

Marc Bolan's surname was derived from Bob Dylan

Pink Floyd's name came from Georgia bluesmen Pink Anderson & Floyd Council

Jimi Hendrix played at Newbury, Feb. 1967 and costs 7/6 to see him at The Plaza

in Newbury's Market Place; now a major estate agents/auctioneers offices.

Backing Tony Sheridan were The Beat Brothers, aka The Beatles. At this time in 1961, they recorded the Harrison-Lennon song " Cry For A Shadow" as a parody of The Shadows; the only Beatles' song credited soley to Harrison-Lennon.