Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

the norman carved arch at kilpeck church herefordshire

Kilpeck

in the county of Herefordshire

Holmfirth Last of the Summer Wine

Holmfirth

in the county of West Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

While Sarkozy attempts ( the flat pat stuff found in fields) another Soldier dies in Iraq!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 15:07 on 28th March 2008

Sue G

Thanks for the correction.......Miranda Blair, theatrical and feminine! Either way it fits the picture in my opinion!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 15:22 on 31st March 2008
I'm going to be controversial again I'm afraid. Whether the war in Iraq or Afghanistan is right or wrong doesn't really matter. Our servicemen and women have a duty to go to all these godforsaken places and fight for Queen and country. For goodness sake, that's what they train for. Nobody joins the armed services thinking they will have a career without conflict, these are dangerous times! It's blooming awful when our soldiers, sailors and airmen/women get injured or killed, but it's part of the job, like it or not. What the heck do we, the British public, know anyway? We're all entitled to our opinions, but, until one knows the full facts I don't think we should judge, it's far too easy to criticise. Think on, in the first and second world wars, millions of service people died, along with goodness only knows how many civilians. At the present rate, casualties are extremely low. If one of the bar stewards from Iraq or Afghanistan has been stopped from blowing him/herself up in our cities, planes or trains, then I for one think it's all worth it.Andy.
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 20:50 on 31st March 2008
Too controversial then.
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 21:04 on 31st March 2008

I know where you are coming from, but there is one thing I disagree with, at least from this side of the pond. You say Nobody joins the armed services thinking they will have a career without conflict, these are dangerous times! And that may be true these past five years, but I know allot of people (my husband was in the USAF) who joined the services to get an education. Joining during peace time, not expecting to get back into any serious conflict, and now that they are, they want out.

Of course times are different, when you sign up now, you pretty much know the chances of serving in the war zone are high. God's blessing to those who continue to serve, and who choose to sign up in this time of war..

My youngest son, who graduates next year, intends to join the Marines. I can't say I want him to, but it's his life.

Just my two pennies worth.

Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 21:35 on 31st March 2008
Well said Sue!! My father was in the desert rats during the second world war, difference then was you HAD to sign up. I've heard some proper horror stories from him over the years, so I take my hat off to all of those that serve in these hostile places. If I could be certain that what we hear is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, my opinion would be that they all come back....this instant. The trouble is, the terrorists would be even more difficult to rein in and that would spell disaster. By being in Afghanistan we can get into Pakistan more easily....similarly, by being in Iraq we can get into Syria, Libya and Iran. It's all about logistics, that to me is where the war will be won. We know nothing. Our memories are very short. Two airliners being flown into buildings wasn't a movie, it happened. Lest we forget.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:37 on 31st March 2008

Andy

As you say we are entitled to our opinions. I wouldn't dream of trying to persuade you to accept my opinion. The thread, 'my opinion' was/is always going to be controversial and in fact I am surprised that it didn't get more of a response. But the truth is that the POE forum is for the members to have 'their say', true, false, fun, enjoy or not its there for us, and I would be really disappointed if everybody agreed with everything that I had to say. Thinks....thats opened the floodgate I bet!

The other thing is of course, some of us work away from the PC and some of us 'fat controllers' enjoy perks! Peter said you had a perk on your lap or something, did I read that right? 

Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 21:43 on 31st March 2008
I think you did Ron, although unfortunately (or fortunately, as Debbie wasn't too far away) it was a misplaced guess! If we all thought the same thing, the world would be a boring place Ron...thank goodness we can disagree with smiles on our faces....or laps Peter.

quote | editPosted at 23:37 on 31st March 2008
The bottom line Andy is that we supposedly went into Iraq to destroy 'weapons of mass destruction' and then when they couldn't find any it became a 'regime change'.  Who does America and Britain think they are? The plain fact is that before we 'liberated' the unfortunate Iraqi people there were no what you like to call bar stewards blowing themselves up. Say what you like about Saddam Hussien but he had no truck with terrorism and Iraq was a secular society where people could worship how they pleased - Christians included. How many Arab states can you say that about. And who are we to go in and impose our will and so-called Democracy on a soveriegn nation. Iraq has been under the boot many times down the centuries and the invader has always, eventually been sent packing...they will again...and I don't think Bush and Blair's adventure is worth one more American, British  or Iraqi life.
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 10:04 on 2nd April 2008

Ah, Sue, you've hit the nail on the head. Who do we think we are? I'll answer that one first if I may. We're the same old bullies that we have always been throughout history...taking what we want from anyone weak enough to get it from. We've always been picky though....even very recently, ie 1982, we invaded one of 'our' islands thousands of miles away to protect the poor old sheep herders (whom may I add didn't want us to!!) from those nasty Argentinians with their badly trained, very young army and air force. Absolutely no 'British' citizen was killed or even injured during the Argentinian invasion of their own land....but we soon changed that with our imperial task force. When asked if they'd all like to return to the safety of England, every one, yes, every one of the inhabitants said no. Soveriegnity, pah! The super etendards and exocets shook us up though with a lot of British casualties, so we were lucky there weren't more. ( This would have been my answer to Sues' point in another discussion about our lads and lasses signing up by the way, our history speaks for itself) So what did we do about Gibraltar? Task force to Spain? No. What a surprise! Hong Kong? How odd that we didn't invade China. It's the same old same old. Second point Sue. You say Saddam had no truck with terrorism. Sorry Sue, he most certainly did. Gassing and torturing the Kurds was terrorism, and I think it's fair to say he had some dodgy bedfellows, to put it mildly if you ask me. In the first Gulf war, the Iraqis were less than pleased when we pulled out after failing to topple Saddam, now we are there, putting our own lives at risk, to try and complete the 'job', but that isn't working either. So we can't win, whatever we do, the insurgients will always have the upper hand because they are invisible. In my very humble and often incorrect opinion, Great Britain is seen as a world leader in diplomacy, intelligence gathering, has arguably the best trained military and all the right connections in all the wrong places, if you catch my drift, so we are almost automatically dragged into the mire with most conflicts. Our expertise in terrorism makes us No.1 on Americas' shopping list of allies,(along with Israel of course) we've had to deal with the I.R.A. for long enough, so we know a bit about counter-terrorism. There have almost certainly been many terrorism attempts thwarted on our mainland recently,I can't prove it but I reckon I'm right there. And one of the important things to remember is that we have British subjects living all over the world, whether in embassies, oil workers, IT personnel or just tourists (think of Egypt) that we have a duty to protect. We're in Iraq because our big brother needs us, there never was a choice.....the WMS issue was just the way to get over the U.N. argument I think. In time, the terrorists would have come to Britain anyway, our debauched way of life has never been acceptable to the Arab world, religion (or lack of it), power and money have made us infidels for a very long time. Andy.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 14:09 on 2nd April 2008
Thinks....who invited him in anyway?? Just joking Andy but clearly you are not. You make some valid points throughout and it actually makes this thread worthwhile, it opens it up and is now begging for opinions which is what you have given, your opinion. It doesn't mean that I agree or disagree. I do however think that your reference to Religion (or lack of it) is actually hitting the preverbial nail on the head, and to blame for MOST of the problems throughout the world. I fear it will continue to be that way for ever and a day!