Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Penmon

Penmon

in the county of Isle of Anglesey

Marle Place Gardens, Brenchley, Kent - TN12 7HS

Brenchley

in the county of Kent

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Image Submission Guidelines

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 16:54 on 11th April 2019

Created this so we can link to it in the email that new members receive. If you think of anything that should be added to it in order to help new members, please let me know.

Image Submission Guidelines

Many thanks,

Chris & Sarah

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 00:39 on 23rd April 2019

The new guidelines on image submission seem very sensible, and are a welcome improvement on previous advice. The only omission seems to be any mention of the degree of compression which should be applied to the jpgs.

The level of  jpg compression applied in the camera (sometimes called 'Fineness' or 'Quality') can be set in the camera menu, and should normally be set to the highest quality setting at the chosen number of pixels. However, there are usually only two preset compression options available for in-camera processing.

More flexibility is at hand if you are using photo editing software and working with RAW files. There is normally a control  which allows the jpg quality to be set at anywhere between 0 and 100%. When submitting images to PoE, I would normally set the slider to 100%.

All of the variations have to fit within the current maximum upload size of 8 MB, but if in doubt, I think minimum compression is more desirable than a huge pixel count. 

Also see my other post on this topic

Edited by: Edward Lever at:23rd April 2019 23:58
poe
quotePosted at 14:45 on 24th April 2019
Hi Edward, I've revised the guidelines to now include some info about image size and resolution. Please let me know if that is better.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 23:41 on 24th April 2019
Hi Chris & Sarah, Yes, the guide is getting better, but it is a mistake to imply by example that a particular pixel size image will have a unique corresponding file size in MB. There are many other factors affecting the file size. I have just found an interesting article HERE about what purchasers of prints look for in terms of image settings. I think it explains the technicalities better than I can, and may be useful for other members. The other topics covered on the above link are also useful.

Edited by: Edward Lever at:25th April 2019 00:19
poe
quotePosted at 08:33 on 25th April 2019
Thanks Edward, those were just examples of typical images and their filesizes, I wasn't trying to say that those are the fielsizes that should be obtained by those image sizes, but I can see why people might think that. I'll therefore remove that and just pop your link there for now. Thanks for sharing it.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 09:22 on 25th April 2019

Hi Chris & Sarah,

The subject of image size, compresssion, pixels etc, can be bewilderingly complex.  I found the information in the website All About Digital Photos to be very helpful and clearly explained. There is no simple formula to relate the pixel dimensions of an image with its file size. For example, most of my images are sized at 3000 x 2000 pixels and the file size is typically 5 MB, but that is because I apply minimum compression to my uploads (100% on the quality slider in Lightroom).

The best advice for users uploading their camera produced jpgs and not using photo editing software, is to make sure the camera is set to the 'Fine' or 'Highest Quality' jpg setting. The in-camera compression is usually heavier than that of Lightroom at 100% quality, so apart from users with very high resolution cameras, the jpg file size should rarely exceed 8 MB. 

Edited by: Edward Lever at:25th April 2019 09:38
Paul V. A. JohnsonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul V. A. Johnson
quotePosted at 14:13 on 14th June 2019
The point that there is a limit to posting of five images a day unless they are a Premier member is worth including.
poe
quotePosted at 15:31 on 14th June 2019
Thanks Paul, now included.
Paul V. A. Johnson
quotePosted at 16:13 on 14th June 2019

Me again

The only link to the submission guidlines that I can find on the site is in your original post on this forum. I think a link on the "Add Pictures" page would be worthwhile. I understand it is included in emails sent to new members but a gentle reminder would not go amiss.  It is dissappointing that there has only been two joining Premier Members this year so far.

Paul V. A. Johnson
quotePosted at 16:18 on 14th June 2019

Sorry Chris and Sarah. Meant to point out one other thing on the guidlines page. Underneath the inclusion you have just made you ask for up to six submissions ; a little confusing I think.

I'll shut up now.