Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Relevance of Picture Comments

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 10:55 on 22nd May 2019

I have noticed that quite a few recent picture comments are in response to pictures posted on PoE many years ago. Even though the comments may be interesting, they are unlikely to be seen by the owner of the photograph, who most likely gave up on PoE years ago or is dead.

Surely it is more relevant to post comments on recent pictures, rather than on ones which were posted a long time ago, since the photographer is more likely to see the comment and perhaps benefit from it.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 12:55 on 22nd May 2019

I hear what you're saying Edward, but I personally think if an image is worthy of a comment, then whether the member is alive or deceased is irrelevant and shouldn't be a factor. And if they gave up PoE years ago then that comment may just be the thing to draw them back and is a great way of doing so.

I also think that comments are not always just given for the photographer to read, but also so that opinion about that particular photo can be heard by a wider audience, a sharing of opinion if you like.

Lets not forget too, the important fact that with comments usually comes a star rating, which helps the site order the photos over time, as the best ones gather more and more comments/ratings so we can have top rated images.

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 22:36 on 22nd May 2019

I can see both sides of this. A really strong / good image is worth noting regardless of how old it is.

It has become obvious to me that there are far fewer picture comments made on POE currently than there were a couple of years ago. The reasons for this maybe are worth discussion on a separate thread. 

Comments should be welcomed regardless of when the image was captured. The strength of POE lies in illustrating our beloved country. 

It would be marvellous just to see more comments.  

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 13:42 on 24th May 2019
The best comments are those that say something about what awakened the reviewer's interest. Many images are described as 'nice', but it is useful to know what it was about that image which stirred the interest. As for the star ratings, they should certainly help in promoting the best images. It would be interesting to know whether a high star rating means that the image is more likely to sell.
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 09:46 on 25th May 2019

Comments are always an indication that those making them have taken time to, at least look at the pictures.

I do think that eyes can droop when confronted with mass submissions showing the same place or subject. Trawling quickly through the dross of mediocrity here can be very rewarding, but also takes patience. It's like finding a jewel in a most unexpected place. Seek and you will find! 

i would make more comments if there was anything to induce me so to do.

Sales is not one of the inducements for me submit pictures here, it's more to add to and be inspired by the work of others. I do tend to drift in and out of POE, but would love to see more pictures to comment on and a forum into which more than a very few ever contribute views and opinions. I'm always up for a lively debate as conflicting views and opinions can stir up interest, and would attract more viewing and obviously add to the sales potential. 

It's a shame that the discussions are only apparently looked at by a select few. 

Edited by: Rod Burkey at:25th May 2019 10:27
Paul V. A. JohnsonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul V. A. Johnson
quotePosted at 18:14 on 1st June 2019

Each time I come on to the site I view the latest pictures and then spend 30 mins to an hour looking through the many others on the site. I do this for two reasons- to discover places of interest that I have not visited or places that do not appeal. To study the techniques shown in the better shots and to make comment where appropriate. I don't think how old the shot is or the state of the photographer is relevant.. You can see many comments on such things as Constable's paintings and he is well and truly deceased. There are many members of Poe who are infrequent users and I am sure any comments on their pictures will encourage them to return.

One problem these days is mobile phones being a lot of people's cameras - perhaps there should be a "Selfies of England " site.

Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 19:30 on 1st June 2019

The age of the image does not really matter, and can be truly an historic picture. 

I don't quite understand Paul's taken on the "state of the Photographer"  but agree that more comments can only add to the site in a positive way.

As for selfies, well that's something about which I confess to know very little.

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 20:33 on 1st June 2019

I think the question of making belated comments is complicated by the fact that there is no way of easily knowing whether the photographer is deceased or has merely given up due to lack of interest. If the comment is couched in terms of advice to the photographer, then this may inadvertently seem insensitive to those of us who know for sure that the photographer is no longer with us.

In the case of Paul's example of Constable's paintings,  it is perfectly valid to make a general comment on Constable's work, but it would be nugatory to hope that this would have any effect on his technique.

Edited by: Edward Lever at:1st June 2019 20:34
 Please login to post to this thread...