Pictures of England Pictures of England

Exploring the most Picturesque & Historic parts of England

Over 150,000 photos of England
22,000+ members
Click here to join the community
Bodmin jail Orbs 2Sheepy MagnaA walk with GrandpaButterfly ShadowPonyFamily of Otters

People Pictures of England?

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 13:11 on 12th May 2019

Taking a look at the images on POE, I'm quite struck by the lack of "People" shots. England has a diverse range of people and they are a very vital part of our beloved country. Any trip to a city centre or tourist destination will provide images which are pretty hard not to include human content. I realise that many pictures look good "sans humans", but others may look a bit soulless or deserted. Our land is certainly not underpopulated.    

I'm just wondering if there is any reason for such a lack of pictures reflecting those who live here. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward LeverPremier Member - Click for more info
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 21:38 on 12th May 2019

I think the inclusion of people in shots is a difficult area. There is no law to prevent photos being taken in a  public place, but most of us are uncomfortable taking pictures of an unaware individual, where the individual is the primary subject. Pictures which include a large random group of people are less likely to problematical, for example groups of tourists would be expected to be seen at tourist locations, or groups of people would be expected to gather waiting for a bus, train etc.

An example of what I would consider to be acceptable is a photo like this, which I took many years ago.

Mersey ferry
Picture by Edward Lever

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 01:54 on 13th May 2019

I agree with much of what you say Edward, but some candid shots are so relevant to where we live. 

From this viewpoint, I would like to see more pictures with people included as part or the main subject. We live in a beautiful country and the happiness and moods of the population are all a part of that. However, I do suspect that I am out of tune with the photographers on POE. 

i just thought I’d float the idea that maybe the image content here could be broadened. 

Edward LeverPremier Member - Click for more info
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 11:45 on 13th May 2019

I agree with you, Rod, that taking candid shots of individuals makes for interesting social observation, but there is a risk that it might be misconstrued. I think this is why so many photographers (myself included) err on the side of caution. 

In the UK, taking photographs of anything or anyone in a public place is lawful (provided the image is not indecent or terrorist related) but not all members of the public see it this way. There is a risk that the photographer might receive a few choice words or end up with a bloodied nose. We live in difficult times.

Please login to post to this thread...