Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

St Osyth in the snow

St Osyth

in the county of Essex

All Saints church, Okehampton, Devon

Okehampton

in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

WANDERING IN MAY WITH THE LAKELAND MEANDERER

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 Next >

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:49 on 3rd May 2014

The day started OK nice and sunny and intended to be away about 9 but that was delayed by half an hour or so. Was on the phone with British Gas firstly disputing a letter telling me that I owed them £123 which they finally agreed was nothing to do with me but the previous encumbant of the house. Then proceeded to set up an account for my gas and electric and am still struggling to believe that it took nearly 40 minutes ! ! ! !

Anyway finally got away around 9.40 and had a great run over the hill in bright sunshine but that soon turned a bit cloudy after turning off the M62 for Preston and the M6 for Kendal. Didn’t stop once until getting into Kendal and various traffic lights. Arrived Asda appr 11.50 so quite pleased with that, 2hr 20 which is about normal, didn’t go over 90 honestly Ruth !! Shopping done and back on the road to Ambleside landing at the cottage around 1pm. Car was emptied, food fridged, camera and lenses dug out, boots on and out the door about 2pm for my usual stroll upto High Sweden Bridge to get the old legs working . Followed by a wander down to the pierhead before persuading myself to visit the Golden Rule. Bit of bad news though the beer has gone up by 15p since I was last in !!!!! It was quite busy with a good crowd in. A enjoyable hour and 3 pints later and it was then off for the traditional fish and chips for tea. Finally plucked up the courage to unpack the case and bags about 8pm and had brought everything I should have brought … apart from my razor!!!!! So a quick wander into the village and that was sorted. Then sat down and caught up with e-mails etc and thought I had better get started on the this weeks inane rambling to bore you all

One of the guys in the pub reckons we are in for a couple of reasonable days but I think I will stick with my usual weather reporting and wait until I open the curtains in the morning and make decisions from there. Have got a few walks planned, a couple of regulars plus some new ones so hopefully might get one or two photos to insult your optic nerves…..

Next installment hopefully Sunday but who knows . . . . .

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:56 on 3rd May 2014
  Glad to hear the Meanderer has landed and had that all important call at the Rule, the price hike does seem a bit on the steep side. Right then, enjoyoy the week and keep us posted.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:59 on 3rd May 2014
Some of the planned hikes are gonna be just as steep too methinks Undecided
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 23:01 on 3rd May 2014

Go on- it's what you go there for--------

No Strain- Nothing in the Frame.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 23:03 on 3rd May 2014
Yep, you are right there mate. No point coming here and looking for flat walks 'cos they just don't exist.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 00:00 on 4th May 2014

Glad to hear you arrived safely Dave. You forgot your razor, David once packed his own bag for 2 weeks in Italy and forgot his clothes, his bag was full of fishing gear. He realised the error of his ways when he had to buy clothes in Rome Surprised

Look forward to hearing about Sunday Smile 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 07:54 on 4th May 2014

Lucky man again Dave - enjoy it mate. Some of the nicest UK countryside bar none and then of course you have the added bonus of the Golden Rule pub!

You, ME AND ER ER indoors? lol

Neil Rodgers
Neil Rodgers
quotePosted at 16:59 on 4th May 2014
Have a nice time Dave glad to hear you arrived safe and sound.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:45 on 4th May 2014

Looked out of the window 0730 to see Loughrigg covered in heavy mist … went back to bed. Must have gone back to sleep, next I knew it was gone 0900 and Loughrigg was still covered with mist so an easy morning was the order of the day. It had been raining a bit in the night by the looks of the cars, but not now. Even so still not worth going up the fells as there would not be too much to see due to the low mist. A quick shower was followed by coffee and weetabix, not in the same receptacle I hasten to add!! The usual catch up of e-mails, and download yesterday’s photos from card to laptop. Nothing overly exiting but might find a few worth working on. Took a short wander to a couple of the outdoor shops to see if bargains on offer … might treat myself to some new trousers later in the week. By 1200 it was beginning to brighten up a bit so a quick lunch was taken early and then out to get a walk in, if not particularly strenuous.

Set off from Ambleside towards Rydal and turned off through Rydal Park and Rydal Hall. Spring must have come very early to this part of the country, this is the same week as I had last year when the daffodils were in bloom albeit close to then end of their short life. This year no daffodils, all long since died off, but bluebells everywhere which were not in evidence last year. Plenty of opportunity for close ups and wide shots, but the light was so poor that even pushing ISO to 800 shutter speeds were impossibly slow, down to 1/30, 1/15, 1/8 second so sharp images are practically non existent so I doubt if you will bombarded with photos of bluebells in the next few week. Most of them will be consigned to the delete button.

The atrocious light conditions continued into Rydal Woods which was also full of bluebells, and quite lot of people who like me had decided to get out for an afternoon stroll. Through the woods and more shots of bluebells and the obligatory across the water shots of Nab Scar whose top was still covered in mist. Out of the woods and on in the general direction of Grasmere but turning off to take the higher track back toward Rydal Caves. Again acres of bluebells covering the fells but with the aforementioned slow shutter speeds the button was pressed more in hope than anticipation. At least the wider more distant shots should appear sharper, we will see….

Down from the caves and back towards Rydal Woods again and by now a very light drizzle had started so camera came off shoulder and went under jacket. And that was about it for the last couple of miles back to Ambleside for around 1630. Quick change of footwear and jackets and wandered to the Rule for a chat and beer or three. Good and busy again and plenty of inane banter going on. Following which a short trundle down to the Chinese takeaway for Special curry, fried rice and chips.

My gut feeling is that this poor weather is gonna hang around for a day or two so highly unlikely that some of the intended new walks will be attempted. Leave them for July when hopefully the weather may be a bit more settled. But who knows what will be on the other side of the curtains in the morning???

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:59 on 4th May 2014
  Weather aside, sounds a very good day, like John says--  Enjoy.
1 2 3 4 5 Next >