Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

December Dawdling with the Lakeland Meanderer

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 15:33 on 13th December 2013

Good news about the lottery ticket Smile

Hope you've had a good week despite the weather. I suspect you'll be thinking about organising a trip for next year when you get home tomorrow. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 15:51 on 13th December 2013
It's always good here Ruth irrespective of the weather. Over the years been all over the country but there is just something about this place that makes me keep coming back. Not so sure about starting to plan next years visits tomorrow, already started thinking about them this weekWink. Forgot to mention but also won a Dizzy Blondestamped pint glass last night. Asked John how much I could buy one off him for and he handed me over for free..... Well Happy now. All I need is now is a pump handle badge to go with it but that might be pushing my luck.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 16:00 on 13th December 2013

That's very nice of him, we have a huge box of pump badges given to us a few years ago by a friend of ours when he closed his pub to convert into cottages. There are hundreds of them, I can't see there being a Dizzy Blonde but it will cost nothing for me to look.

You'll have to give me a bit of time to drag the box out of storage and have a look Smile 

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:31 on 13th December 2013
No luck with the pump badge Dave, sorry. It was worth a look though.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:05 on 13th December 2013
No problem Ruth. It was a very long shot but thanks anyway
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 22:34 on 13th December 2013
Safe journey home tomorrow. Hope the M62 is kind to you, I looked out of the bedroom window before it got dark, we can just see it up between Scammonden and Windy Hill, it was nose to tail traffic crawling along.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:40 on 13th December 2013
Thanks Ruth, usually thereabouts 9-930 if i get away on time and don't usually have problems but it is Xmas shopping time innit? So just takemy time and hope for the best
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:21 on 14th December 2013

Oh well the sad day day dawned early, time to go home!!!! Was up at 7.00 topping up with go-juice at 7.15, owners keys in post box 7.20 and walked into my house around 10.45 having take one 'comfort' break on route and collected my cat from the cattery. So all in all a very good run with no delays apart from a relatively short stretch of 50mph roadworks on the M62. But would much rather not had to make it, could quite happily have stayed for another week. Now to start planning next years visits which will hopefully give me better opportunity for more interesting rubbish to pass on to you all. Thanks for reading thisweeks efforts just a pity the weather did not play ball, but let's be fair it is December and it is England ! ! !

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:28 on 14th December 2013

You've provided some good reads as ever Dave. Glad the journey home went OK. 

Just a idea, have you ever thought of booking for 2 weeks ? Problem is then you'd get so settled getting you home at all would be impossible Smile

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:52 on 14th December 2013
Have thought of that several times Ruth. But I do like my 3 or 4 separate weeks spread over the year, but 2 in one go is a very tempting proposition depending what deal the owners would do. But having said that, i hate going back to work after a weekend, let alone one week away, so goodness knows how I'd feel after two weeks. Honestly cannot remember the last time I took 2 weeks holiday from work in one go. What I really need is money (but don't we all) but a decent 2 bedroom cottage in Ambleside is well over £300K now!! Although in the area I stay is a block of 'over 55's' accomodation which includes parking space and a warden on site!! A 1bedroomed, living room, bathroom and kitchen apartment in there goes for aound £135K but there is a quite hefty maintenance fee of around £130 a month but i still need a windfall to even think of considering that !!!