Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Christ Church Cathedral

Oxford

a Historic City in the county of Oxfordshire

Lewisham street in Westminister district of London

Westminster

in the county of Greater London

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

A JULY JAUNT WITH THE MEANDERING LAKELANDER

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 10:45 on 14th July 2013

Not a lot to report for Saturday apart from excellent weather. Decided to come across via York and Skipton. A much more scenic route akbeit a bit slower. So the arrival rime was aboou an hour and half later than expected but no problem. Unpacked everything and took a short walk across Rothay Park to Millers Bridge and back down the road along the river. A very pleasant stroll around the Galava fort fields and on to the Pierhead. Rang Stacey and as luck would have it she and Rob were just getting off the steamer Swan so met them and dragged them upto the Golden Rule. A couple of points with them and they had to go as they had ameal booked in one of the little restaurants at 7 but we stayed and had a couple more followed by fish and chips. A quick wash and change of shirt and back out to meet Stace and Rod and went down to Wateredge Inn to enjoy a few more beers in the beer garden. After about an hour joined the mass exodus from the lakeside tables when the evening midge hatching started. Everyone scratching and itching due these diminutive little pest. Couplr more beers and they went to their hotel and we wandered back to our cottage had a quick sandwich which was followed by a good nights sleep.

Easy start to today, tea and coffee in bed around 9.00 then she who likes to be obeyed decided that following last nights imbibing a fryup was the order of the day so a quick visit to Tesco to get some oil and a thick toastie loaf ensued. Just about ready to be consumed now!!!!!

Plan for today is one of my favourite walks up to Lily tarn and then over Loughrigg to Loughrigg Tarn and Loughrigg Terrace, down to Grasmere and along the shore to Grasmere village (compulsory ice cream stop!!!) and then back via Rydal. That is the plan anyway but some of you more regular readers will be well aware that my 'plans' quite often have a few twists and turns........ All will no doubt be revealed later on.

Is a beautiful sunny day and temperature is exected to reach 24-25 so the sun block will be well and truly blathered on the head.

Further update this evening maybe depending what we decide to do.....

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 11:19 on 14th July 2013
On 13th July 2013 23:35, Ron Brind wrote:

hic, hic, werse sa dor I feel a litul wurs fur ware! lol

Wonder what Dave drinks in the 'Rule', bet they know him by now and probably make sure he has plenty of water wth it!!

A lovely light refreshing bitter Ron....Dizzy Blonde...... I think they are aware that I post photos on POE. If you ever get the chance to visit the area you will not disappointed with the area or ANY of the pubs but makes sure you do visit the Golden Rule. It is a 'proper' pub. Good ales, great conversation that yiou can actually hear cos there is no music ! ! !!
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 22:09 on 14th July 2013
Glad the Dizzy Blonde is still in the "Rule" for you Dave Smile
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:40 on 14th July 2013
Not only is the brew still there Ruth......I take my own with me in the shape of the wife ! ! ! ! Just trying to get round to todays ramblings....
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 21:25 on 15th July 2013
I see you are in your favourite place again Dave!  What happened to yesterday's meander.  Guess it got lost in a Dizzy Blonde or two or three! LOL

quote | editPosted at 23:04 on 15th July 2013

Basically just ran out of time yesterday folks. Was a very hot sticky day and the walking was similar.

Firstly we did not wake up as early as we should have, but had enjoyed a fun evening with Stacey and Rob so that's a good excuse in my book. The aforementioned fry-up went down amazingly well......a real good start to the day it has to be said. Following which packup and drinks were prepared and the backpack filled, camera, lenses, binoculars all at hand. New boots bought last week where put on and by around 12 we were ready for the off. An easy walk across the park and onto Milers Brow, a short sharp twisty climb on road followed by a short trek through a small copse and out onto the lower slopes of Loughrigg Fell. By now she who expects o be obeyed was already puffing and panting complaining not very politely!!!   But to be fair it was a very hot day and progress was quite slow but eventually we came upon Lily Tarn and had a short rest before trekking on towards Loughrigg Tarn. Last time I did this walk it was just a bit damp to say the least but today the ground under foot was good dry and solid. The sky was blue and the sun shining as we meandered along the southern slopes of Loughrigg fell towards Lougrigg Tarn. The magnificent Langdale Pikes looming into view in the glorious sunshine. Although it has to be said the sun was so high that photos of any real substance are likely to few and far between so flay was the light, but we will persevere and see what can be achieved. Half an hour or so spent at Loughrigg Tarn still basking in sunshine before trekking on towards Loughrigg Terrace where we eventually dropped down to the southern shores of Grasmere. By now Anne's feet were beginning to feel the effects of the heat and the bunions were starting to ache a bit!!! And we were only just over half the walk! ! ! We carried along up the eastern side of Grasmere and eventually back onto the road and down to Grasmere village. Plenty of stops to try to ease aching feet and eventually laned in the village. First stop was the local mini supermarket to replenish the rapidly dwindling drinking supplies, such was the heat of the day and it was now around 4pm. Sat on the village green to at eat some of our packup as an early tea rather than a late lunch... We debated about giving in and getting the bus back to Ambleside but finally settled on carrying on witht the walk......we had no time constraints because as we are self catering we are note goverened by meal times othr than those we place upon ourselves. The trek back started with another short but arduous climb which elicited even more complaints of aching feet and limbs from Anne. Anyway she kept believing me when I kept saying...not far now to the top of this hill ..... only to find a little bit more hill looming. We ( I ) had decided to make the return journey to Ambleside along what is known as the 'Coffin Trail' which used many years ago for transporting the dead from Grasmere and surrounding areas to Ambleside for burial. And it anthing but an easy path to negotiate. Narrow in parts, twisty in parts and for the large part very rocky and uneven underfoot. Fortunately it was dry so our progress was quite good,although the complaining about sore feet and legs did not abate. It ws forgotten briefly however when we coaught sight of a deer of some description which just looked at us for a couple of seconds and them skipped off down into the undergrowth........and as is normal on these occasions, the wrong lens was on the camera, but a few recognisable frames where captured. A further hour of rekking and complaining and we have passd through Rydal Park and finally returned to Ambleside. Decided to pass by the Golden Rule in order to go back to the cottage so that Anne could get into some more forgiving footwear..... But within 20 minutes were on route to the Golden Rule for a few well deserved pints of Dizzy Blonde.

Monday's itinerary was to drive upto Keswicka and catch one of the Derwentwater boats for a mixture of cruising and walking. But for that you will have to wait  ! !    Need to get some shuteye ready for Tuesdays planned Windermere boat and train trips combined with lunch in the Anglers Arms in Haverthwaite. 

So still quite a lot to follow..............................and we only up to Monday night..........

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:57 on 16th July 2013

Does your 'dizzy blonde' get to read these posts Dave?

Do you really talk about POE in the Rule? If so I reckon thats going to be a free pint when Anna and I get there. And if its not free, then they can put it on your tab for the next time you arrive.

Glad you had another great time Dave.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 09:18 on 16th July 2013
Don't exactly talk about POE but certainly has been mentioned Ron, but whether anyone remembers is another story. Mainly with other walkers and visitors. And as the my own dizzy blonde no she does not read these posts but if you are referring to the complaining.....she certainly knows about that.....she was the one doing the complaining. Not so much complaining yesterday but that report is still in production elsewhere. Just getting ready to stroll down to pierhead to get the boat down Windermere followed by the steam train to Haverthwaite. But you will have to wait for todays gory details as Monday's trek round Derwentwater has to come first.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:39 on 16th July 2013
Ah so you are still there then, lucky b....r!
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:37 on 16th July 2013

Yep, still here Ron.... a few more days to go yet.

Well, Monday dawned bright, sunny and warm. So a relatively early start around 1000 ish was made for the drive up to
Keswick where we parked in the large carpark near the pleasure cruise landing area. Boots on, rucksack packed and
camera and lenses made ready and off down to the booking office to get the tickets for the short hop across to
Nichol End. From there we were going to make the circular walk anticlockwise round Derwentwater. The weathermay have
been brilliant but it was also the cause of our first problem of the day. The boats were not landing at Nichol End
because of 'water level to low for the landing stages'I reckon the level was close on 2 feet lower than when I had
been here in May!!!! So the walk started from the Hawes End about a mile further down the western shoreline. Very
easy walking today, much to Anne's delight, with no uphill stretches of any real consequence. Straight forward
wander down to the Brandelhow landings and on to Manesty Wos where a wrong turn sent us a little out of our way but
nothing worrying, just more woodland than shoreline. Eventually got back onto the Cumbria Way and regained the
shoreline at the southern tip of Derwentwater. Crossed the footbridge over the River Derwent, which was remarkably
low, hence the problems with low water levels. The tracke eventually opens onto the B5289 road which leads from
Keswick, through Borrowdale to the Honister Pass and Buttermere beyond. Half a mile or so on the road and we were
able to get off onto a small woodland path which ran alongside the road, a much safer proposition. About half a mile
further on we were on the shoreline path again. By now it was getting quite warm and Anne's bunnions were beginning
to play up a bit again, so a few rest stops ensued but overall progress was still good. Arrived back a the landing
stages in brilliant sunshine and spent the best part half an hour or more just sitting in the sun watching the world
go by...... Oh! just as luck would have it there were various boats parked up so the camera got pointed at a few of
them along with the swans, ducks and geese....so beware!! Back to the car and head off to Ambleside , stopping on
route to take a few photos of something I have been meaning to get for a few years......a black and yellow AA phone
box just before heading down Dunmail Rise. Within 20 minutes we were parked up at the cottage and out into Ambleside
with an quick visit to Boots for a few bits and pieces and then well deserved hour sitting in the sunshine in the
back yard of the Golden Rule......no surprise there you may say!!!
The plan for Tuesday was boat from Ambleside to Bowness and on down to Lakeside then transfer to the steam train for
the short trip down to Haverthwaite. Not an awful lot to report really but will try to think of something!!!

So watch this space you never know what might be forthcoming.