Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Todmorden

Todmorden

in the county of West Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Postcards from England ( The North Yorkshire Country )

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

victorian67
victorian67
quotePosted at 16:03 on 20th April 2013

The first of my escapades of the Spring took me to the stunningly beautiful North Yorkshire Country.

From the spectacular scenery of the North Yorkshire Moors National Park covered in heather moorland to the picturesque charm of the fishing harbour of Whitby where I walked in the footsteps of Captain Cook along the cobbled streets and up the 199 steps to the hilltop St Mary's church surrounded by ancient graveyard and the impressive ruins of Whitby abbey to stepping back in time aboard the steam trains of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, this truly was an unforgetable journey experience !

Being a fan of James Cook ever since I first read about his life while I was living in Russell, Bay of Islands; NZ - a place discovered and named in 1769 by the great Navigator himself - a visit to the picturesque harbour of Whitby which saw him "learning the ropes" and take to the sea, was already a treat in itself but nothing could prepare me for the wild beauty of the North York Moors National Park.

The park covers a total of 544 square miles and is at its most spectacular in summer and early autumn when the common heather that covers the wide expanse of moorland turns the scenery into a picture perfect purple color .

After driving through the wilderness of the Moors National Park, I felt really welcomed at the charming harbour of Whitby with its eclectic mix of picturesque fisherman's cottages, storied Georgian town houses, cobbled streets, nooks and snickets.

Whitby's unique beauty, snugly straddles the mouth of the river Esk facing out into the rugged North sea, and rich history which saw the town playing a major role in the creation of the early Church in the middle ages and becoming the major centre for the whaling industry in the 18th century with the first whaling ship setting sail to Greenland in 1753.

No visit of Whitby would be complete without climbing up  the 199 stairs leading to St Mary's Church and the romantic ruins of Whitby Abbey which offer a panoramic view over the town and coastline, and are literary renown as the backdrop to Bram Stoker's Dracula, the Victorian novel which has made Whitby the 'Goth' capital of Britain.

Some of you may already know my appetite for history, anecdotes and British traditions of all sorts but I enjoy the most discovering quaint and cosy tearooms and the Marie Antoinette Patisserie is a delight of its own and well worth discovering !

Then what better way to spend the afternoon than stepping back in time aboard the North Yorkshire Moors Steam Railway which runs from Whitby to Pickering with much whistles and rumbles through one of the most spectacular scenery in England.

And I cannot close this introduction without mentioning the picturesque village of Goathland which some of you know from the popular TV show "Hearbeat" which action is set in the sixties, launched in 1992 and still running...

Yes, I can definitely say that the North Yorkshire Country has ticked all my boxes and is a place that will for sure, enchant your senses too !

Karim

Whitby

St Mary's Church

Whitby Abbey

More pictures to come soon...

Karim

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
victorian67
victorian67
quotePosted at 16:34 on 20th April 2013

Whitby

Goathland

The North Yorkshire Moors Steam Railway

Thank you for following this escapade through the beautiful North Yorkshire Country !

Karim

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 17:33 on 20th April 2013
Thanks for sharing them Karim, most of the places I know quite well, being here in Yorkshire. Regarding Russell in the Bay of Islands, when we were there we were told it used to be the most debauched place in the Southern Hemisphere. Difficult to believe as it's so beautiful now.
victorian67
victorian67
quotePosted at 18:16 on 20th April 2013

Thank you so much for your comment dear Ruth !

You are absolutely right about Russell's once infamous reputation as it is now one of the most idyllic and tranquil place on earth !

Karim

Edited by: victorian67 at:20th April 2013 18:17
Ken Marshall
Ken Marshall
quotePosted at 14:41 on 24th April 2013
Karim, I like all the places you mentioned. Whitby was full of coffin dodgers enjoying their golden years when I was there last year.
Jackie123
Jackie123
quotePosted at 15:57 on 26th April 2013
l really enjoyed reading your write up and the pictures. Thank you.
 Please login to post to this thread...