Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Harden Waterfall, Harden, West Yorkshire

Harden

in the county of West Yorkshire

Kynance Cove, Cornwall

Kynance Cove

in the county of Cornwall

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Postcards from England ( Moreton in Marsh & Bourton on the Water )

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

quote | editPosted at 10:37 on 1st April 2013

Good morning dear Friends

Springtime always brings up in me the desire to go out and about in an ever changing nature, plan new trips around the country and remembering these magical places I visited in the past few years...

If 2012 was a hectic year in many ways, 2013 allows to finally pause for a moment and reflect on my travels of the past few years, bringing back the happy memories of a country that I have not only learned to appreciate over the years but also love, as I am utterly in love with the history, traditions and many charms of England.

What better feeling than waking up at sunset for a trip, gazing through the window as you drink your coffee hoping for a nice day and discovering a clear blue sky, then stepping outside in the crisp early morning, filling your lungs with fresh air, and smile at the thought a great day ahead !

In my own experience, many places I have visited so far have not only met but largely exceeded my expectations and one of them was Bourton on the Water and Moreton in Marsh.

I had already been a few times to the Cotswolds which I love, and I one would be very fussy not to, and fell under the spell of the village of Broadway, described by many as the "show village" of England, and indeed is a very picturesque and beautiful place.

As the early autumn was starting to dress the English countryside in subtle little touches of yellow, orange and red, I was heading not to Broadway, but to a place famous for its market held every Tuesdays for the past 700 years - its market chart was granted in 1227 - and was also an important coaching station for centuries.

Many of the buildings lining the High St are dating back to the 17th and 18th centuries, all built in the golden limestone which the area is famed for with the Redesdale Market Hall standing proudly in its middle.

Moreton in Marsh becomes a very place on Tuesdays but what an experience !

For those who enjoy reading, a visit to the tiny but well stocked local bookshop is a must and is regularly visited by the author of Agatha Raisin's murder mysteries, MC Beaton who lives nearby and sometimes dedicate her books there. Light but thoroughly enjoyable reading, I started with its Agatha's first adventure in "The Quiche of Death" !

After a morning exploring the village and shopping around the multitude of colorful stalls sitting down for a pint of Guinness at the charming White Heart Royal Hotel for lunch was pure heaven as I left the outside hustle and bustle on its door step to enjoy the cosy charm of this historic former coaching house which already welcomed amongst its Guests King Charles I back in 1644...

A very pleasant experience with a friendly welcome and their Tuesday Market Special Menu is a steal for less than £10.00 for a main course including a drink and using locally sourced fresh products.

And what better perspective than heading to Bourton on the Water for the afternoon and finally seeing this picture perfect Cotswolds village also dubbed as the Venice of the Cotswolds with its multitude of little pedestrian bridges over the Windrush river !

Bourton on the Water is one of these places for which only words are not doing justice and simply has to be seen to be believed.

In this mild September afternoon, its picturesque Streets were not busy and the place was, well, as delightful as it can be.

It is also interesting to venture a little further in the village to discover the beautiful St Lawrence Church.

After such a wonderful day and before heading back home, I indulged in a cappuccino and yummy slice of carrot cake at the Croft Cafe which offers a lovely and secluded patio to enjoy the sunshine of that late afternoon in Bourton on the Water.

Here are a few pictures of my day in the Cotswolds...

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
victorian67
victorian67
quotePosted at 10:40 on 1st April 2013
victorian67
victorian67
quotePosted at 11:21 on 1st April 2013
victorian67
victorian67
quotePosted at 11:22 on 1st April 2013

quote | editPosted at 11:25 on 1st April 2013
victorian67
victorian67
quotePosted at 11:28 on 1st April 2013

Thank you very much for following this escapade to the beautiful Cotswolds and stay tuned for my next postcard soon...

Happy Easter week-end to all of you !

Karim

Please login to post to this thread...